Crankshaft nose oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 06:49 AM
Les Dawes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft nose oil leak

Hi all,

Have identified an oil weep from the engine of my 964 C4, and would appreciate some help from you all.
Behind the front crankshaft pulley is an oil seal which seals around the nose of the crankshaft. This oil seal is housed in a circular boss, with a recessed notch in the boss, and (I have been advised, by a Porsche dealership Technician) is screwed into the crankcase halves after they have been bolted together - this boss is, I believe, called a "bearing housing". I can find the oil seal in my PET but not the boss.

I have an oil weep, when the engine warms, from the joint around the periphery of this boss to the crankcases - the oil seal is definately not leaking and neither is the intermediate shaft cover plate seal below it.

There is a Porsche "special tool" to unscrew this boss, does anyone know what this tool is, and where I could purchase (or borrow) one in the UK. I have asked Porsche UK, but they have told me that it is not a "Public Domain" available tool, and they cannot supply one to me. Also, if anyone has removed/replaced this boss, is there a specific Porsche recommended sealant to be used on re-assembly. I would presume that anyone who has carried out an engine rebuild, going down as far as separating the crankcase halves, would have had to reinstate the boss as part of the build.

OR, have I been told wrong - does the boss not unscrew, and is it clamped into place between the crankcase halves.

I have (hopefully) attached a couple of pictures of the boss in my engine.

Hope someone can help me solve this issue.

Best regards, Les
Old 03-17-2018, 06:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

I resealed my engine to fix a leaking nose bearing. The bearing is sandwiched between the case halves and is held still by a dowel. It is not possible to remove the bearing without a complete engine dismantle. This is the reference page in my refurb thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/898981-964-c4-light-refurb-48.html

Tom Amon produces a ring that can seal the area from outside. It didn’t work for me. Good luck. Having been there done that I would only do this for a material leak. If you are not DIY capable it’s approx 80 hours plus to remove the engine and transmission from the car, then seperate the two and tear the engine down to fix the leak and reassemble.

Last edited by John McM; 03-17-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:31 AM
Les Dawes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John,
Many thanks for the quick and informative reply.
I am very DIY proficient, but realise the cost implications of an engine strip and the "while you are in there" costs.
I will research the Tom Amon route to see if that provides an answer.
Best regards, Les
Old 03-17-2018, 07:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Here is his site http://www.mobileworkswest.com/ he’s old school so I had to telephone the order through.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft nose oil leak