Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to install rear quarter window trim on 964

Old 06-25-2017, 09:43 AM
Stevecarrera2
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install rear quarter window trim on 964

How do i instal a rear quarter window trim on a 964?
Old 06-26-2017, 04:26 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 86 Posts

Guessing you are talking about the black trim that fits in the rubber? Or the trim that fits below the window?

Either way you will need to remove the window and order a 12 oz can of patience to start. The trim fits into the rubber and you must carefully peel the rubber back and work the trim into a channel in the rubber, being careful not to bend the trim. The corner pieces can be left out until you are close.

The trim pieces under the rear window are held in with 4 small phillips screws, the trim is more or less glued on with a grey version of strip caulk under the trim that seals the holes from water. Be careful and it comes right off. BTW all of those pieces are still available in original finish and not hatefully expensive from the dealer.

Hope that helps, some other RL'ers may have different or better advice but that has been my experience.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:58 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevecarrera2
How do i instal a rear quarter window trim on a 964?
Ah ha, that you Steve?? Was good to chat today at the Ace, good luck with the other side, cheers Nigel.

By the way this is the tool to hook into the rubber and slid along to open it up for the trim (not used one myself but they are supposed to help)...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tool-for-I...oAAOSwl9BWMkcO
Old 06-27-2017, 05:00 PM
Stevecarrera2
6th Gear

Thanks for the advise guys. Yes it was me at the Ace yesterday. Nice to meet you and other like minded 964 fans Nigel. I did manage to refit the side window trim just before driving up to the Ace and plan on posting a "how to" for other Rennlisters as soon as I have a mo.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:29 AM
Robofc
Advanced

I am also looking to replace the scratched glass on my 71. Would the Rs glass work on my car. I would also prefer defogging. I could not locate any other sources for lightweight glass. Is the EB Perspex good choice for rear and quarter windows?
Old 01-22-2018, 09:22 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

I am actually doing this later today. The metal trim fits into place prior to installing the window. It is easily pushed into place. then use a 3/8 or thinner piece of cotton rope. It slides into the rubber that folds over the raised welded body panels. Start it towards the back and circle around until it overlaps. Place the narrow round back section into place and hold it tightly into place. While pressing on the outside of the window pushing it into place start slowly pulling the rope. It will pull the seal over the raised part and as you go it will start locking the window into place. Carefully push the window in and pull the rope until it goes all the way around. Eventually all or most of the seal should be pulled into place. If you miss any plastic door panel removal tools help to work the areas missed until it sits flush and tight. Not easy to put into words but not that difficult to do.

If you removed the lower trim make sure you reinstall the sealing tape to prevent any water getting and rust from forming.

This generally is the process for all the windows other than the doors.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:40 PM
Advman89
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

was there any follow up on this? Any videos?
Old 10-06-2019, 09:39 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Need help

I can’t get the trim piece into the groove in the seal at the back end of the glass it just won’t stay I’m about to scream 🤬 genuine Porsche seals any suggestions
Old 10-06-2019, 04:38 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnK964
I can’t get the trim piece into the groove in the seal at the back end of the glass it just won’t stay I’m about to scream 🤬 genuine Porsche seals any suggestions
Try installing the front end first and then slowly work your way toward the back. You need to work the seal from the inside of the car with your hands. And be sure to put some lubricant on the seal. You can see a few photos here
Old 10-06-2019, 04:48 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Foxman
Try installing the front end first and then slowly work your way toward the back. You need to work the seal from the inside of the car with your hands. And be sure to put some lubricant on the seal. You can see a few photos here
I was asking about the black metal trim piece that goes into the window seal prior to installing the window in the car but thank for trying to help
Old 10-06-2019, 11:08 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

I’m starting to think this seal is the problem as you can see from the pictures it pooches up at the small end I’ve tried and tried to get the trim in at that end and it just won’t go the bulge in the seal gets worse as I insert the trim it goes in all the way around except there where the bulge is
Old 10-07-2019, 04:28 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 137 Posts

JK, I had difficulty fitting the trim into the seal. I worked from the rear towards the front corners.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:01 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spokes
JK, I had difficulty fitting the trim into the seal. I worked from the rear towards the front corners.
Going from the back to front corners is how I got the passenger side mostly in the last inch or so on top and bottom thought will not stay popped in 🤬
Old 10-07-2019, 11:42 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Default Success Maybe😳

Decided to give it another try. I first took out the trim in the passenger side window as I didn’t like how the ends at the corners wouldn’t quite go in. As I was looking at it I moved the glass for the other side out of the way and it registered in my brain there is a curve in the glass. Now I would swear I never bent the trim when I first removed it but by comparing it to the window and seals curve I decided I did basically flattened it out. So I carefully started putting a slight curve back into the trim piece. Then fitted it back into the seal. It still sat a bit high at the corners so I be pulled it partially back out and tweaked it some more. It finally stayed in. I then did the same to the drivers side trim and viola it finally went in and stayed put.
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnK964:
Ralph3. (10-10-2019), Spokes (10-08-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to install rear quarter window trim on 964