Sponsored by:

997 GT2 buckets in a 964?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 02:26 AM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 997 GT2 buckets in a 964?

I would like a bucket seat. But I do also like / need access to the back for little kids. I'm debating how a set of 997 GT2 seats would look in a 964 considering they have the airbags which obviously wouldn't be useful. Physically, how different are the bolt holes and rails in the 964 from modern cars? Is it a ridiculous science project to get them to fit?
Old 03-09-2018, 09:03 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you, need access to the rear, so was also looking at reclining buckets, but had to broaden my search...
In order of preference with comments:

997/991 GT2+GT3 reclining buckets - uber expensive!
Recaro A8 - expensive and hard to find.
Generic Carbon Fibre reclining buckets - jury is out but look similar to SPG, so period correct... http://www.designtek.eu/uploads/imag...99780710lr.jpg
Porsche Sport Plus https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...s-img_1579.jpg
Recaro Sportster CS - maybe too modern looking.

FYI, to get the later Porsche seats (9x6, 9x7, 9x1) to fit in a 964 or 993.
You'll need to flatten the lips on the front of the rails and re-drill the rear mount points next to the tunnel, the other mount points align correctly.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:59 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews
I would like a bucket seat. But I do also like / need access to the back for little kids. I'm debating how a set of 997 GT2 seats would look in a 964 considering they have the airbags which obviously wouldn't be useful. Physically, how different are the bolt holes and rails in the 964 from modern cars? Is it a ridiculous science project to get them to fit?
Matt - They are super easy to fit, there are a couple of members who run them. You can either perform very minor modification to the rails or simply purchase the Brey-Krause adapters. Given the value of GT2 buckets, I would not recommend modifying the rails for resale purposes. Also, if you feel that the seating position is slightly higher, Tarett offers lowering brackets. Besides bolting the seats in, you will need a new seatbelt buckle or repurpose yours. I had a set of rare Perlon and they were the most comfortable seats I had tried, but I could not bring myself to recovering them in the material I wanted. I ended up selling them and I still have a pair of Brey-Krause adapters that I never used, brand new in the box if you are interested.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:28 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

I'd like to see some photos from those who've done this mod.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:02 PM
butzigear
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LPMM
Matt - They are super easy to fit, there are a couple of members who run them. You can either perform very minor modification to the rails or simply purchase the Brey-Krause adapters. Given the value of GT2 buckets, I would not recommend modifying the rails for resale purposes. Also, if you feel that the seating position is slightly higher, Tarett offers lowering brackets. Besides bolting the seats in, you will need a new seatbelt buckle or repurpose yours. I had a set of rare Perlon and they were the most comfortable seats I had tried, but I could not bring myself to recovering them in the material I wanted. I ended up selling them and I still have a pair of Brey-Krause adapters that I never used, brand new in the box if you are interested.
Great info from Laurent. I second this. I personally have them in my 996TT, they are great seats. More closely related to modern seats in an air-cooled, I also have Euro GT3 Recaro buckets in my 86 911. While they are newer, more modern, they are awesome and look the part... I am a motorsport junky. If you are interested in a set of GT2, GT3, or Recaro seats (amongst others) please let me know and I will get you some "Rennlister" pricing. If I may make a suggestion, I think a Sportster CS would check all your boxes and depending on the look/use of your car, they will fit right in. It's hard to go wrong with a great Recaro seat... hence my lack of hesitation to pop the GT3s into my "old car". haha
Old 03-09-2018, 12:49 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Here is the hack-a-rail mod which is fine on the sofas but I would not recommend doing it on a set of pricey GT2 buckets.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...n-a-993-a.html

Originally Posted by dukmon
I'd like to see some photos from those who've done this mod.
Marc (02m2) has, or at least had at some point, a set of GT2 seats in his 964. There is also a RLer in the 993 forum who had a set in his 993. I cannot find the threads now, but there are pics if you do a search.

Originally Posted by butzigear
I think a Sportster CS would check all your boxes and depending on the look/use of your car, they will fit right in. It's hard to go wrong with a great Recaro seat... hence my lack of hesitation to pop the GT3s into my "old car". haha
Agreed, and much more wallet friendly than the GT2 seats. Anthony (Cobalt) has a set in his car, he has posted many pictures and they look great.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:53 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like I am not alone in my thinking. I've been looking at:

997 GT2/3 folding buckets - pricy
CGT seats - ridiculously expensive. do not fold.
Recaro A8 - hard to find. seem to be $3400 - but already recovered in faux leather
Sparco Rev2 - a comfortable seat to me. not a folding seat. similar look to the recaro pole position. but pole position doesn't fit me. (shoulder belt holes too low. my shoulders are also too broad. 6ft tall. 190lb. 34" waist.)
Sportster CS - least attractive of these IMO. But new. which has its advantages. But I'm doing a difference center section - so it requires surgery on the seat covers instead of just pulling out the old and velcroing the new ones in.

Ultimately, this is part of an interior swap from tan to black. I will also be doing the door cards and seat centers in a different material. If they aren't leather, I'll be recovering the whole seat. So could questions:
1. do the porsche buckets have the center sections that velcro in and out? I don't really want to hack up expensive seat covers. but if the centers are removable, buying replacements to recover shouldn't be expensive.
2. any other options to consider? What recaro is bigger than the pole position that I need to try sitting in?
Old 03-09-2018, 03:01 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews
Ultimately, this is part of an interior swap from tan to black. I will also be doing the door cards and seat centers in a different material. If they aren't leather, I'll be recovering the whole seat. So could questions:
1. do the porsche buckets have the center sections that velcro in and out? I don't really want to hack up expensive seat covers. but if the centers are removable, buying replacements to recover shouldn't be expensive.
2. any other options to consider? What recaro is bigger than the pole position that I need to try sitting in?
1. Yes, the centers are removable in the GT2 buckets, so you could either have new covers done in your fabric or use new foam and have another set of centers.
2a. Profi XL I think is the larger size for those that do not fit well in the Pole Position, however they do not recline.
2b. I sold my GT2 buckets so I can have Stefan at GTS Classics build a set with my fabric.
2c. Another option to consider if you do not need/want hardbacks is the Recaro LS/LX, more period correct than the Sportster CS.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:07 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Managed to find a pic of Marc's 964 with GT2 seats...

Old 03-09-2018, 03:12 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Recaro Sportster CS in a 964, may be Cobalts car?
Old 03-09-2018, 03:20 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Recaro A8 in a 993
Old 03-09-2018, 03:21 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Porsche sport plus in a 993
Old 03-09-2018, 03:27 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Brian's (from Rotiform) 964 with the A8s

Mikke's (Mikke_Possu) 964 with the A8s

Tims' (Tmistry) 964 with the Recaro LS

GT2 Buckets in 993 TT

Last edited by LPMM; 03-09-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:33 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

And to complete the set, the generic carbon buckets in a 993
Old 03-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

This is a very timely thread as I have just spent two days searching for seats online and it's kind of drive me nuts. Has anyone considered the Sparco SPX? At around $3000 it's not cheap but it seems like a very nice seat. If I knew it would fit me and fit the car it would probably be my first choice.

The Recaro CS would be the easiest choice as I’m in Japan but at 6’3” the shoulder belt holes are too low- though I would probably switch out the seat for track days anyway.

I wonder if you guys could comment on how well some of these factory seats fit taller drivers. I have original 964 sport seats and unfortunately my posture in them is terrible.

Last edited by Peteinjp; 03-09-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 buckets in a 964?