Sponsored by:

Rocker Panel Clips Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 02:46 PM
JamesN.
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rocker Panel Clips Replacement

The rocker panel clips on my 93 C2 have lost their grip. To hopefully fix this issue, I ordered a pair of new clips, grommets, and the rubber seal strip.

Not sure how the clips normally connect to the panel itself as they are currently detached from the panel. Should I add an adhesive tape to the back of the clips?

These photos are after I pulled on the panel this morning in preparation for "surgery" this weekend when the parts arrive.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Rocker panel pulled back

Closeup of old clip
Old 03-07-2018, 02:57 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

They look like they have already been glued on in the past I have mine off and later today can get you a good picture of how they were originally attached not all of mine are broken. I think most who have this issue get some type of adhesive line JB Weld and reattach them. I will post the picture of mine about 4:30 MST today
Old 03-07-2018, 03:08 PM
JamesN.
Rennlist Member

Thanks John. Maybe I'm overcomplicating things by replacing the clips - especially if I just end up gluing them anyway.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:10 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Using epoxy to adhere the mounts to the panel is in the FSM, so it's legit. The plastic hooks that it is supposed to attach to disintegrate so the epoxy is the only way to keep it together. Then use plastic nuts on the other side to hold it all together.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:15 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Be sure to use an epoxy specific for plastic. I've found it holds the best.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:25 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

More pics here for reference: https://photos.google.com/u/1/album/...8J10xVCL7_wqCK

Old 03-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

JB Weld does NOT work. Ask me how I know. You need the proper plastic adhesive and prep.

This is the proper stuff and a body shop will have it, the applicator gun, prep, etc. Just find a friend and take them your parts....thats what I did.

Or you buy the whole kit and do the same for your "friends"
Amazon Amazon

Get the replacement clips and glue them on with this and your problems are over. Otherwise, you will be back in there again later.

EDIT: Picture of proper clips glued on (first time around with the improper "glue")

Last edited by Super90; 03-07-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

My experience is as per the above I.e. You need the proper adhesive.

Another thought is to ensure that there is no excess pressure on the clips being used to pull the longer sill in. If correctly adjusted/fitted the sill is sitting close to the body and the shark fin fits next to it. On my car I had to fit a thread to the last clip on the long sill to keep it flush to the body and not press against the shark fin. I hope that makes sense. I would post pics if this app would let me do so without a server error.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:15 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Looks like no need for me to add pictures good tip on not using JB weld I haven’t tried it yet and now no not to Thanks guys 👍
Old 03-07-2018, 04:17 PM
JamesN.
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone. This is incredibly helpful. Good advice to use proper adhesive otherwise I'll be re-doing everything down the road. Ideally I'll connect with a local body shop as purchasing the 3M adhesive + gun setup looks a bit steep for what's hopefully a very small job.

Having not crawled under the car yet, I wasn't sure what was holding the clips in place. Now having seen this photo, it now makes sense that the plastic nuts are holding the clips.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:44 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

I checked out the products mention above it looks like a person can get both for under a 100 seems it is a small price for a permanent fix seeing how a used shark fin is a 135 $ thanks again guys
Old 03-11-2018, 09:22 PM
JamesN.
Rennlist Member

Wanted to share an update on this thread. I picked up the parts from the Porsche dealer yesterday and then went to Advance Auto Parts to pick up some adhesive. The Porsche Dealer didn't have any adhesive for this type of job and I waited too long to connect with a body shop.

While not the recommended 3M adhesive, I was short on time as I had my first track event today. After applying the adhesive and letting it cure for an hour, the studs were firmly adhered to the panel and bolted easily into place.In terms of durability, having just returned from Summit Point, I can safely the adhesive worked just fine.

Total cost including adhesive was around $20. Here are some photos documenting the fix:

Old Studs Removed

These bumps helped align the new studs

These too

New Studs Part #99950737300

Note the studs are threaded and different than rocker clips

Plastic Nut Part #99904900740

Plastic Nut Closeup

Advance Auto Parts Adhesive

Adhesive Mixed in Plastic Tray

Adhesive on back of stud

Stud adhered to panel. Before applying I scrubbed the panel to clean the surface. Let cure for one hour.

Popping the panel back into place

Snug fit

Nuts threaded tightly by hand on back of studs. Will likely go back and tighten more.

Early start at Summit Point

End of a great day with my brother who drove the 993. Special thanks to Chip and Gary for being great instructors at my first PCA driving event.
The following users liked this post:
ianbsears (08-31-2023)
Old 03-12-2018, 09:41 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Glad it worked out.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:34 PM
kta
Advanced

Hi All,

I'm planning to replace my passenger side rocker panel clips and weather strip next weekend. I have all the parts handy from Pelican Parts. It looks like the clips still on the rocker, but they're not sticking to the little red plastic nub anymore, so I'm going to do a full replacement across the front and shark fin panels. (photos attached)

Question about the Adhesive: The 3M is costly for using such a small amount - and harder to find. After running by the hardware store, they recommended this JB Weld Plastic Bonder. It's not epoxy, but seems like it might do the trick long term. Any thoughts on whether this JB Weld Plastic Bonder would be a viable solution? I ask because I'm restricted to what Home Depot has or Amazon (+ timing).

Thanks!
Kevin

Old 11-23-2019, 08:41 AM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 79 Posts

What we’re the part numbers for the rocker panels and seal? I need to look into getting those. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Rocker Panel Clips Replacement