What's it worth? 1991 964 C4

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 06:03 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What's it worth? 1991 964 C4

1991 C4 with 92,000 miles on it.
  • 2nd owner bought in 1999, with 30,000 miles on it. Has put 62,000 miles on it.
  • Normal service performed but nothing above and beyond. Motor has not been taken apart.
  • Need's AC upgraded or repaired. Works during summer months but needs recharged each year after the summer season
  • Need to replace air duct mount on top of fan housing. (yes the picture does show duct tape and I'm sure some of you will cringe)
  • Engine does drip oil and as owner says ( I agree) it's not enough to bother with.
    • I would say mechanically it was taken good care of, but it was not pampered.
  • Paint is 8.5 to 9 / 10. normal paint chips on hood. one wear spot on the rear deck lid left side. couple of minor chips and scratches which I think is normal for 27 year old car.
  • Interior 9 / 10. Driver seat shows wear and tan carpet shows normal wear and tear.
  • 0 rust.
  • Everything else works great. lights, sunroof, stereo, power seats, etc.
  • Red with Tan interior.
I'm taking in for PPI on Tuesday as everyone on here has recommended. For me its going to be a driver and to be honest I don't want to worry about driving a perfect 10/10 car because it will drive me nuts if I get one scratch or chip on it. Look forward to your help. This is a 100% California car so that demand here is definitely higher. If anyone has one for sale let me know as I'm open and think the C2 would be a little funner but I'm fine with a C4. The ease of buying something 20 minutes from my house is very attractive but I could buy elsewhere if someone has one available.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:11 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Likelihood is it will trade btw 40-45k

What's it worth? You have to add in what you will put into it.

I'm going to say to make it a good car, if you are going to have a shop do the work, you will be 10k min. If you like it and just drive it, a lot less obviously. But little fixes and parts add up fast. If you want it to be really good, add another 10k.

Last red C4 i saw sell went for 36k. Prices are up a bit. I wouldn't go over 45k...but if you keep looking you'll find another at 40k.if it's under 40, just pull the trigger.

I can't speak to whether it's a good car- pay close attention to the ppi. And make sure the car is leaked down when hot. Cold compression tests mean nothing.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:35 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

45 about right
Old 02-24-2018, 07:00 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Goughary
Likelihood is it will trade btw 40-45k

What's it worth? You have to add in what you will put into it.

I'm going to say to make it a good car, if you are going to have a shop do the work, you will be 10k min. If you like it and just drive it, a lot less obviously. But little fixes and parts add up fast. If you want it to be really good, add another 10k.

Last red C4 i saw sell went for 36k. Prices are up a bit. I wouldn't go over 45k...but if you keep looking you'll find another at 40k.if it's under 40, just pull the trigger.

I can't speak to whether it's a good car- pay close attention to the ppi. And make sure the car is leaked down when hot. Cold compression tests mean nothing.
Good advice. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:20 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Here's some recent BAT auction results to give you an idea on market value. Keep in mind coupes bring a significant premium. I have to admit some of those values are softer than I expected.

https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/964/
Old 02-24-2018, 10:39 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

In general looking at historical figures requires a step back and more time to research why a car may have sold at a given price. For example very recently a Targa on BAT didn’t meet reserve. Seller failed to disclose that the speedometer stopped working in 2006 and was replaced earlier this year. Who knows how many miles were actually driven. In addition the car didn’t have the engine reseal done or any suspension work, that alone amounts to about $18 - $20K depending on what needs to be done. So pay attention to every detail, read the comments and evaluate your purchase from a perspective of what it will cost when you’re done updating (assuming no updates).
Old 02-24-2018, 10:59 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
Here's some recent BAT auction results to give you an idea on market value. Keep in mind coupes bring a significant premium. I have to admit some of those values are softer than I expected.

https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/964/

964 values on BAT are totally off, for some reason almost every 964 that goes on there has some type of issue or the seller is being vague & non transparent leaving doubt. Just like Afshin above said, That red 964 Targa with 50k will mess up 964 values if people just "browse" at it and dont understand the seller failed to disclose odometer hasn't worked in over 10 years.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:13 AM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
In general looking at historical figures requires a step back and more time to research why a car may have sold at a given price. For example very recently a Targa on BAT didn’t meet reserve. Seller failed to disclose that the speedometer stopped working in 2006 and was replaced earlier this year. Who knows how many miles were actually driven. In addition the car didn’t have the engine reseal done or any suspension work, that alone amounts to about $18 - $20K depending on what needs to be done. So pay attention to every detail, read the comments and evaluate your purchase from a perspective of what it will cost when you’re done updating (assuming no updates).
Thanks for the advice. BAT seemed pretty cool about 2 months ago when I found it, but now it seems to be a little out of whack. Give them credit they have done a good job of creating a true auction feeling (Barrett Jackson / Mecum) where people just will pay more money for something. There still are some deals but it seems more of the cars are going out the door at a higher price.

Originally Posted by Tarek307
964 values on BAT are totally off, for some reason almost every 964 that goes on there has some type of issue or the seller is being vague & non transparent leaving doubt. Just like Afshin above said, That red 964 Targa with 50k will mess up 964 values if people just "browse" at it and dont understand the seller failed to disclose odometer hasn't worked in over 10 years.
Agreed.... you going to sell that C2?
Old 02-25-2018, 11:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Originally Posted by CBA
To me this picture says a lot. It is a simple fix about $60-70 for a new rubber boot that someone has used gorilla tape to repair. When I see things like this I make an assumption about whatever other maintenance has been deferred.

Doesn't matter how many owners all it takes is one bad one. Is it a late MY 91 or early. Without further details it is hard to opine on price it can be anywhere from $35k to $55k depending on records condition, originality etc.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:11 PM
gray635
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ Bingo. If an owner will scrimp on the little stuff, they will certainly scrimp on the big stuff. Reckon he hoped his buyer wouldn't bother to open the decklid.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:33 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Thanks Cobalt. Agreed, after meeting the guy in person he bought the car in 99 and is the second owner, I mis posted the car only has 70,000 miles on it. 40,000 miles on it in 18 years. He doesn't have the bank roll to keep it perfect but has done all the regular maintenance nothing more nothing less. Appreciate the feedback. The PPI should be the tell the story.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:51 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Best luck hope it checks out. 70k miles will up the price a bit. Although only speculating I would have the paint metered. The front bumper has probably been resprayed the rubber smile is wavy and is usually a sign of paintwork and improperly installed. Hard to tell but the paint on the front end looks too good. Might have been resprayed as well also have the mirrors checked. The front smile is a mess and needs to be addressed. Headlights are fogged. Typical crack in the rear spoiler lid. looks to be a replacement windshield as well. You will probably want new rear tail lights which can set you back $1000 but that is cosmetic and your choice.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:53 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Best luck hope it checks out. 70k miles will up the price a bit. Although only speculating I would have the paint metered. The front bumper has probably been resprayed the rubber smile is wavy and is usually a sign of paintwork and improperly installed. Hard to tell but the paint on the front end looks too good. Might have been resprayed as well also have the mirrors checked. The front smile is a mess and needs to be addressed. Headlights are fogged. Typical crack in the rear spoiler lid. looks to be a replacement windshield as well. You will probably want new rear tail lights which can set you back $1000 but that is cosmetic and your choice.
Great advice... man you guys are good on here. Much appreciated.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:16 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Not 100% certain but it does look like there’s some overspray on the front bumper trim, the hood alignment looks to sit back (usually extends just past the fenders in the front) and maybe some overspray on the rear fender flares rubber seals. Higher resolution pictures would confirm much of this.

Paintwork isn’t a dealbreaker, but it would definitely warrant further research to determine why it was done. At 70k miles it shouldn’t have significant road rash but it will definitely have some unless it was protected.

Good luck and post up what the PPI finds.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:04 PM
rsteinjann
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please post some interior photos if you have them. Check the bellows under the spoiler for cracks.

Quick Reply: What's it worth? 1991 964 C4