Sponsored by:

Ducktail or wing for track use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 02:45 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ducktail or wing for track use?

My 964 basically becoming track only more or less... o want to reduce weight from the rear lid/spoiler assembly so the original has to go.

I have a ducktail in glassfibre but not sure that aerodymacally it would be effective on track. I know it’s a spoiler and not a wing so provides no actual downforce as such, just eleiminates lift. I don't like the fact it will create drag but no downforce.. Will it be as effective aerodynamically as the standard electric wing at least? Or should I use a GT3 type affair instead?

Last edited by jack.pe; 02-12-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Other than the ducktail looking great it does little over the stock wing other than save weight. The RSA style wing does help but it weighs about 6 pounds more than stock motorized wing. I noticed much greater stability at speeds above 120mph and it also helped more with cross winds. The Bi Wing is the best bang for the buck. light weight and adds downforce while reducing lift.

You might consider going with a Bi wing for track and switching it back to the ducktail for the street. You might consider some form of splitter up front as well or dropping the front end a little if not.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:14 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cobalt
Other than the ducktail looking great it does little over the stock wing other than save weight. The RSA style wing does help but it weighs about 6 pounds more than stock motorized wing. I noticed much greater stability at speeds above 120mph and it also helped more with cross winds. The Bi Wing is the best bang for the buck. light weight and adds downforce while reducing lift.

You might consider going with a Bi wing for track and switching it back to the ducktail for the street. You might consider some form of splitter up front as well or dropping the front end a little if not.
Thanks.. which one is the bi wing??

I did not thin k the Ducktail would be better than the current electric spoiler.. just dont want ti to be worse. I do have a feeling that it might be less aerodynamically efficient but then a large part of the function of our wing is engine cooling..

This is one i was considering..
http://clubautosport.co.uk/product/9...-rear-spoiler/
Old 02-12-2018, 10:33 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jack.pe
Thanks.. which one is the bi wing??

I did not thin k the Ducktail would be better than the current electric spoiler.. just dont want ti to be worse. I do have a feeling that it might be less aerodynamically efficient but then a large part of the function of our wing is engine cooling..

This is one i was considering..
http://clubautosport.co.uk/product/9...-rear-spoiler/
This wing is more of an early 930 wing will do the same as the RSA style but I believe the RSA style sits slightly higher and doesn't have the ribs.

they don't seem to have one. here is a link to the one I have. mine needed to be modified to allow it to close over the IC but should be a direct bolt on for you.

​​​​​​http://www.gt-racing.com/911-rsr-3-8...body-part-418/
Old 02-12-2018, 11:02 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.pe
My 964 basically becoming track only more or less... o want to reduce weight from the rear lid/spoiler assembly so the original has to go.

I have a ducktail in glassfibre but not sure that aerodymacally it would be effective on track. I know it’s a spoiler and not a wing so provides no actual downforce as such, just eleiminates lift. I don't like the fact it will create drag but no downforce.. Will it be as effective aerodynamically as the standard electric wing at least? Or should I use a GT3 type affair instead?
The first biwing used on a 911/964 was this one on the 3.8RS

Here's a summary of the various aero packages that were factory installed
Old 02-12-2018, 11:24 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

This wing is more of an early 930 wing will do the same as the RSA style but I believe the RSA style sits slightly higher and doesn't have the ribs.

they don't seem to have one. here is a link to the one I have. mine needed to be modified to allow it to close over the IC but should be a direct bolt on for you.

​​​​​​http://www.gt-racing.com/911-rsr-3-8...body-part-418/
Wow, $1200!!! not a cheap upgrade!!
Old 02-12-2018, 05:39 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Bill,

Are these factory published numbers? Something is odd about the RSA. This is contrary to most info I had read. Also are the 3.8RS numbers with or without front splitters?
Old 02-12-2018, 06:14 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Bill,

Are these factory published numbers? Something is odd about the RSA. This is contrary to most info I had read. Also are the 3.8RS numbers with or without front splitters?
All factory #s, I'll revisit the RSA to check

Quick Reply: Ducktail or wing for track use?