Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Isla - My 1991 C4 - Progression Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 08:44 PM
kricci
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Isla - My 1991 C4 - Progression Thread

I am a fairly longtime lurker on this forum, but never really posted too much - tended to hangout on 6speed for whatever reason... However i recently picked up a 964 and the aircooled forums over there are nowhere near as travelled or helpful as here, so i decided to switch allegiances and do most of my posting here instead.

That being said, i had been on the hunt for an aircooled 911 for awhile and set my sights on a 964 for a number of reasons. Perhaps the biggest reason was that my longtime girlfriend liked them and getting her on board was a imperative if i was going to be able to make this happen After a few months of searching and a few missed opportunities and deals that couldn't be closed, i found a 5 speed 1991 C4 in guards red with 83,000 miles and all records and made her mine just before the new year.

I bought the car in Michigan and had her shipped to Texas and she arrived on January 12.

I made it!

Meet Isla:

As with most of my cars, i tend to modify to fit my style and this one was no different. I had a few mods that arrived actually before the car did, so i quickly began that process.

I swapped on a new ignition trim piece to replace the worn original and a full set of LEDs for the interior and license plate bulbs:

I also swapped out the front badge for a silver crest as that has always been the first mod on all of my Porsches - i prefer the silver.

The car was sent in for a health check from a local shop and came back with a clean bill of health. We swapped all the fluids, power washed and degreased the under part of the engine and did a few minor things here and there, but otherwise, she was in top shape. While it was in, i also had the lower bumper smile cleaned up and straightened out a bit which makes a big difference in cleaning up the front of the car.

I installed a set of Rennline pedals, a black forest industries weighted shift **** and the suede Momo mod 7 Porsche wheel. The pedals are perfect for heel toeing and the wheel completely changes the feel and steering of the car in my opinion. The shift **** also has a great feel and its a marked improvement over the feel of the oem rubbery one:

I have a set of the Car-Werk brake intakes being painted currently and will hopefully have those installed by the end of this week along with a new stereo setup. The car stereo set up was all high end equipment, but it was installed in the early 2000's and is outdated, heavy and basically broken. I am going back with a lighter and newer set up and looking forward to the new sound, although with the music of the flat 6 behind you, a radio is somewhat pointless

I am still waiting for the rear wiper removal plug, that will be one of my next projects as soon as it arrives. That should be it for awhile besides the wheels which again should arrive in the coming weeks. I can't wait! The Cup 1's will stay in my possession and i will use them as dedicated track wheels.

My plans for this car are just to drive and enjoy it. It will likely see continuing mods and 1-2 track days a year similar to my 997 Turbo - it is such a fun car to drive and so completely different than the 997 - both are amazing cars!

I plan to keep this thread updated as i progress and get new pics - Enjoy!

Isla and Heidi - roommates!
Old 02-04-2018, 12:54 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 149 Posts

Beautiful ride man, congrats. So beautiful with the cup1's - That ignition piece seems to ALWAYS fade on these cars..last 964 i had i just painted it with Matte black interior paint.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:01 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

Love the name my 964 C2 is Talia
Old 02-04-2018, 03:00 PM
mbintx
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Gorgeous! Hope to see it at some upcoming PCA (Maverick Region) events soon!! Quite a few 964 owners here in Dallas.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:20 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Beautiful and looks to be in excellent condition.

A clean bill of health is like hitting the lottery with these cars unless of course you had a full set of records.

Enjoy the car and I look forward to seeing the future changes.

FYI, Rennline makes an aluminum key ring trim and it’s a very easy DIY.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:30 PM
kricci
Instructor

Thanks for the positive comments guys!

I did have all the cars records for the last 18 years, so i had a pretty good idea of what i was getting before making the offer.

Hope to have some new updates later this week!
Old 02-08-2018, 09:51 PM
kricci
Instructor

So i dropped my car off at a local shop to get some of the audio stuff sorted. The speakers were pretty terrible, the sub was blown and wanted a head unit with blue tooth and usb. As a result, we removed all of the equipment from 2000 and updated with lighter, better more advanced technology.

Check out the size of this amp! Takes me back to the early 2000's with this!

With the removal of those two monster amps, the CD player, the large and excess wiring and all the wood used to mount/install this - i would guess it is about a 60-70 lb weight savings with the new set up. We used a smaller digital amp and tucked it in the spare tire area, so i removed that as well. That netted an additional weight savings of maybe 20 lbs. with all the other gear i am guessing.

For comparison - check out the size of the amp we installed (this was just a quick pic while resting in the bonnet early on)

The new audio set up is great, it sounds awesome and everything is installed nicely.
It includes an Alpine blue tooth headhunt, JL Audio 8" sub, Infinity Kappa 6x4's in the rear, Focal 5.25 component speakers in the doors, and a Kenwood Excelon 5 channel amp, and a hidden bass ****. Everything was installed to maintain the OEM look whenever possible (other than the headunit). The 8" sub is in a nicely tucked away custom box behind the passenger seat. We installed the amp where the spare used to be, so it is hidden,

In addition, while the car was in the shop, i had some spider cracking happening on the driver side rear of the bumper. Nothing horrible, but enough to bother me and my OCD, so i had the bumper removed and painted. They matched the color great and i am really happy with the outcome. This was before being painted. I do not have any after just yet, but it looks great - i will get some new pics soon enough.

Also, i had the Cult Werk "brake intakes" installed and while the bumper was off we also cleaned up the radiators a bit as they were a bit dirty:

Here was the first step, measuring for the hole to be cut and mocking up to check fitment before heading off to paint:

Here is after paint and with some black mesh installed prior to final installation:

And here is a quick pic post install - i am really happy with the result and the change from the fog lights.

Before:

After:

That's it for now... The next project will be the removal of the rear wiper. I am just waiting on the plug to arrive so i can tackle that job.

I have a set of wheels on order and will likely decide on tires next week and have those shipped to the shop so they are ready when the wheels arrive likely later this month.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Nice progress! Going with smaller, lighter components for the stereo is definitely a step in the right direction and you will likely feel it on the road. My car has a fugly headunit and ridiculous Polk speaker covers that I need to take care of. I have my eye on a Clarion headunit coming out later this month that has Bluetooth and 50 watts with no CD Player.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:48 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Awesome, love this thread!!
Old 02-09-2018, 04:40 PM
mbintx
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What part of town are you in? There's a large Porsche meet tomorrow morning in Allen at Watters Creek. We're expecting 100+ P-cars and a huge 993 turnout, as they are the featured model this month. Hope to see you there.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:30 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mbintx
What part of town are you in? There's a large Porsche meet tomorrow morning in Allen at Watters Creek. We're expecting 100+ P-cars and a huge 993 turnout, as they are the featured model this month. Hope to see you there.
Im east of town. I was at one of the get togethers at a Harley dealer a few months back. I get in tormorrow around 10 and will have to get home because of the 6 month old so probably won't show.

Last edited by Boeing 717; 02-09-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:19 PM
MDHerald
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great car. Almost purchased that exact car. They were asking a little more than the market dictated was reasonable. Glad it landed in good hands. Looking good.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:03 PM
kricci
Instructor

Originally Posted by MDHerald
Great car. Almost purchased that exact car. They were asking a little more than the market dictated was reasonable. Glad it landed in good hands. Looking good.
Thanks!

Not sure when you looked at it but i know they had it listed mid 50's for some time which was definitely out of line. I picked it up for a very fair price compared to similar examples. It has turned out even better than i hoped and has been a blast thus far!
Old 02-09-2018, 10:22 PM
jbarrios504
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that going to be your Daily? - I haven't been to any of the Mavs events yet, but looking forward to the local cars
Old 02-09-2018, 10:30 PM
kricci
Instructor

Originally Posted by jbarrios504
Is that going to be your Daily? - I haven't been to any of the Mavs events yet, but looking forward to the local cars
Not really a daily... I do drive it to work periodically, but mostly enjoy it on the weekends. I have a cayenne I drive most days. I live in Houston though, not Dallas.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Isla - My 1991 C4 - Progression Thread