Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to know if late 1991 production 964 has updated head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 02:24 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts
Default How to know if late 1991 production 964 has updated head gasket?

Hey guys, I know this has been discussed before but i can't find a simple answer- i just bought a 1991 964 production date is July 21 so i assume that is a late production car. According to Peter Zimmerman cars built after May 91 have the updated head gasket, i've also found this online but can't really decipher it...

"There have been a few problems with the 964 engines that are worth mentioning. One is a cylinder head leakage problem on some of the earlier cars. The cars built in 1989 (K), 1990 (L), and 1991 (M) had the engines that are susceptible to a cylinder head to cylinder leaking problem. The early cars were those built up to 62 M 06836, M64.01 for the manual transmission cars and 62 M 52757, M64.02 for the Tiptronic cars"

I dont' really understand the paragraph above, do i find out through VIN# if the car falls into this category or not? or is it something i can visually see?

PS: Owner says it doesn't leak, however i have not seen the car myself yet as i bought it sight unseen through just pics & owners word, going to pick up in a couple of days.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Johns Pcar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/images/4...0494geolab.pdf

Explanation is in link above, but starting engine numbers to receive head gaskets is 62M06836.

This started late November 1990. I have a build date of 12-10-90 and have the head gaskets.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:51 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johns Pcar
http://www.pcarworkshop.com/images/4...0494geolab.pdf

Explanation is in link above, but starting engine numbers to receive head gaskets is 62M06836.

This started late November 1990. I have a build date of 12-10-90 and have the head gaskets.
Thanks John, Great info!!!! ,That should definitely help..mine being a july 91 should definitely have them then

Last edited by Tarek307; 02-03-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:52 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

PCA work shop is a bit diff than Peter Zimmermans info but inline with it. Thanks again John

Last edited by Tarek307; 02-03-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:18 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

...........................Double post!
Old 02-03-2018, 11:30 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Folks,

I did a cleanup of this thread. Tarek asked a simple question and got ONE answer. The resst of the posts were bashing him for being a dealer. For your info (Nick) Tarek has never advertised his business on this site and does not need to be a sponsor for that reason. I suggest everyone stop leaping to conclusions which are unfounded.

This site is about enthusiasts helping others. The posts I deleted do not constitute help in any regard.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:31 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Folks,

I did a cleanup of this thread. Tarek asked a simple question and got ONE answer. The resst of the posts were bashing him for being a dealer. For your info (Nick) Tarek has never advertised his business on this site and does not need to be a sponsor for that reason. I suggest everyone stop leaping to conclusions which are unfounded.

This site is about enthusiasts helping others. The posts I deleted do not constitute help in any regard.

GOOD JOB 👍
Old 02-04-2018, 12:25 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

This is a community of enthusiasts which I have been a part for many years and have many friends. I give my experience freely, but would rather it not be used for someone else’s business profit as is the expectation. That expectation of fellow enthusiasts is not “bashing.” There is also an expectation to not be harassed and receive profanity through private messages. Would the moderator like to make his position on censorship more clear?

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Folks,

Old 02-04-2018, 12:35 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by -nick
This is a community of enthusiasts which I have been a part for many years and have many friends. I give my experience freely, but would rather it not be used for someone else’s business profit as is the expectation. That expectation of fellow enthusiasts is not “bashing.” There is also an expectation to not be harassed and receive profanity through private messages. Would the moderator like to make his position on censorship more clear?

My Goodness man...i've also been a part of this community for a long time, almost 10 years..did i commit a crime by making my Enthusiasm for 911's into a business lately? Did i come here to advertise the car to you? did i bother you in any kind of way before for this incessant garbage bashing? Am i no longer allowed to participate in the forum now because i'm not just an enthusiast now but also a dealer? DID I TRY TO SELL YOU A GOD DAMN THING OR MAKE MONEY OFF YOU? Give me a break man...Why the hostility and garbage..Sure i called you an A-Hole after your posts..you want me to receive this harassment & just take it over and over ..get yourself a hobby, a life..find something better to do than just constantly harass people over unfounded thoughts you have in your sick little brain about anyone in the car business!
Old 02-04-2018, 06:31 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Back to the thread. The early cars that leaked were fixed under warranty.If doesn't have a head gasket and has not leaked, it probably won't.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:16 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know Tarek from a hole in the wall but he responded to my request for help running a car fax on a car I'm interested in and then we chatted back and forth multiple times about the car I may buy. He doesn't know me nor does he have to give advice and his opinion on my potential purchase but he did. His ads on Facebook are also very transparent and he seems like someone I would want to buy from. I understand the thought that every dealer is a sleazy used car salesman but I often think that what if I decided to buy and sell Porsches to make money? Right now I'm an owner and enthusiast. But if I somehow start doing my hobby for profit, I automatically become untrustworthy? Ok I'm off my soapbox, back to regularly scheduled programming.

Quick Reply: How to know if late 1991 production 964 has updated head gasket?