Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Fog Light Adjuster - 3D Print? (redux)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 10:10 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Broken Fog Light Adjuster - 3D Print? (redux)

Since the other thread is broken somehow...
I'm sure this is a very common occurrence. When I pulled my fog lights apart, the adjusters were boogered from someone going ham on the adjustment screw (thinking it was a mounting screw most likely). And even though I've tried multiple adhesives (epoxy, super glue, ABS cement, etc.) nothing really holds it together. And aside from these being unusable, my fog lights are in great shape.

Anyone here have these modeled in 3D for printing? Seems excessive to buy new lights just for broken adjustment pivots.

(photo source)
Old 02-02-2018, 10:47 AM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Same exact thing happened to one of mine.. tried several different glues, including a Loctite superglue I really thought would do the trick. I let it set for a few days before trying to put it back together, but once I started screwing the assembly back together it was just too much for it and came undone. I would definitely be interested in this as a solution seeing as the foglight assemblies are, at least in my opinion, ridiculously expensive for what they are.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:58 AM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I could likely dig out my fogs from storage and have a go at modelling these parts and printing them. Are L and R the same piece or are they mirrored?

One idea I have off the top of my head instead of 3d printing would be to drill a small hole in both pieces and epoxy a metal pin in to hold the pieces together. That or heating the pin till its hot enough to stick into the plastic. Then some additional epoxy on the joint to help hold everything together.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:30 AM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

3D printing would probably be best, but if you want to go "old school":
Take a hot sewing needle (red hot held in players over gas oven flame) and poke a hole on each side or more if there is room for it.
Use thin steel wire and "sew" it together and candy twist the wires together at the end, cut the tips and cover your work with the best epoxy glue you can find or melt the edges of parts together with hot tip of soldering gun - should work for eternity. Repaired a lot of small and big plastic parts like that before...
Cheers!!
Old 02-02-2018, 12:39 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Looks like this is a Guards Red Thread so far.

Originally Posted by onceover
I could likely dig out my fogs from storage and have a go at modelling these parts and printing them. Are L and R the same piece or are they mirrored?
Both adjusters are identical. The left side hangs down on the top-right corner, while the right side sits up on the bottom-left corner.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:50 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Great idea. I would buy one!
Old 02-05-2018, 12:09 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

These are glass filled and still break easily, so any 3D printed plastic version is going to completely fall apart. Can you print them out of metal?
Old 02-05-2018, 12:18 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

3D printing metal is generally cost prohibitive. You would be better off sending it off to a machine shop to make a few hundred pieces to get a decent price. Anyone set up with a CNC to make production parts would be able to make these reasonably cheap.

Didn't have time this weekend to look for the fog lights, sorry guys.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:28 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I looked into my adjuster, and I agree that it seems that the only way that the plastic adjuster would break is if the owner screws in/out the adjuster thinking that it was the mounting bolt for the lens.

Anyway, I'm working on the CAD drawing of the adjuster. Version 1 of the adjuster is attached as an STL file. I haven't printed it yet - getting some ABS filament today.

http://members.rennlist.org/mojorizi...ter2_fixed.STL

The following users liked this post:
Clems (12-19-2023)
Old 02-21-2018, 08:44 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Holy crap this is awesome. I had started working with emachineshop's software to make a crude design, but didn't get back into trying due to being sidetracked.

I'm having two printed out and should have them soon. If they work (as I imagine they will), then you just solved a huge issue for 964, 944 (S2/Turbo), and 928 ('86+) fog lights.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:55 PM
sooner964
Instructor

Mojo, you are awesome!!

So, I am a total 3D printing n00b, in internet-speak. If I wanted to get a set of these printed using your STL file, is there an online service you recommend? Or some other service? I did a quick Google search the other day and came across a company called Shapeways, but I didn't dig in to deep.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:05 AM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Give me a week to update the drawing and perfect the part, then go with that revision, not with the current version. I have one part printed in PLA - it took finessing and re--orientation to get a good enough print. It's been sitting on my desk for over a week. PLA is not the plastic of choice for this application. I expect an ABS version will need some hand work to make it work. I'll submit a quote to Shapeways for a nylon print to see what they would charge or if there are issues.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:25 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by onceover
3D printing metal is generally cost prohibitive. You would be better off sending it off to a machine shop to make a few hundred pieces to get a decent price. Anyone set up with a CNC to make production parts would be able to make these reasonably cheap.

Didn't have time this weekend to look for the fog lights, sorry guys.
Metal? It looks like plastic?
Old 03-06-2018, 08:24 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mojorizing
Give me a week to update the drawing and perfect the part, then go with that revision, not with the current version. I have one part printed in PLA - it took finessing and re--orientation to get a good enough print. It's been sitting on my desk for over a week. PLA is not the plastic of choice for this application. I expect an ABS version will need some hand work to make it work. I'll submit a quote to Shapeways for a nylon print to see what they would charge or if there are issues.
I received my order from Shapeways last week, printed in raw gray nylon. Fit perfectly into the reflector and onto the adjustment screw the first time. They did not have any issues with the file as you had originally posted, and the order in nylon (with shipping) came out to about $17.91 with shipping ($12.92 without).

I was trying to get the images uploaded to Imgur (since I was having issues uploading to here from my phone) last week but forgot to follow-through. Then I saw the new posts and uploaded @ work.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:57 AM
sooner964
Instructor

Originally Posted by Deserion
I received my order from Shapeways last week, printed in raw gray nylon. Fit perfectly into the reflector and onto the adjustment screw the first time. They did not have any issues with the file as you had originally posted, and the order in nylon (with shipping) came out to about $17.91 with shipping ($12.92 without).

I was trying to get the images uploaded to Imgur (since I was having issues uploading to here from my phone) last week but forgot to follow-through. Then I saw the new posts and uploaded @ work.
Ok, Mojo, sounds good! Thank you for working on this! Deserion, that looks great, I'm glad to hear it is a success!

Quick Reply: Broken Fog Light Adjuster - 3D Print? (redux)