Sponsored by:

New Product - Billet Oil Filter console

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 10:46 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts
Default New Product - Billet Oil Filter console

964 folks - Even though the factory engine oil cooler lines are plugged in the 964 case, it's elementary to drill them out during your next rebuild so that you can add an engine mounted pressure side oil filter like the 993.

Whether you’re running a engine mounted oil cooler or one of the factory oil filter consoles, you’ll want to take a look at my new billet oil filter console. For starters, it looks amazing, quite unlike the factory offerings.
From a function standpoint, I have a big problem with the existing solutions. Not only is the engine mounted oil cooler pretty ineffective at actually cooling the motor, it doesn’t exist in the 964 / 993 models, so what does that tell you about it’s usefulness.Filter console options are also limited; there are unicorns like the 959 and 965 filter consoles which aren’t available, leaving you with the sole option of using the 993 console which leaves much to be desired.

For starters, the 993 console doesn’t include the return line in the same fitting; Porsche makes you buy a separate widget to attach the incoming line. Additionally, the 993 console places the filter hanging vertically down, which makes it a bear to actually replace the filter.

My console angles the filter like the unobtainum 965 console, but not only that, it includes a female connector for a -16AN line so that you don’t have to attach multiple pieces. You get a clean install, a beautiful looking product rendered in aircraft grade aluminum, and you get a filter that’s easy to change and access.If you’re looking to add a filter to your pressure circuit like the later cars, this is the one you want.Doesn’t require modification of your engine tin (or anything else for that matter). You will, however, need to do something with the early fan shroud which has a duct specifically for the engine mounted oil cooler. We suggest blocking it off, or switching to a late shroud. Price – $395, available now:

https://taormina-racing.myshopify.com

Old 01-24-2018, 11:35 AM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

WOW! Beautiful piece of kit.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:49 AM
Catorce
Banned

Thank you!
Old 01-24-2018, 07:03 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Pictures of it installed?
Any concerns with oxidation on the raw aluminum in salty environments?

Seems like very good value for a machined billet piece!
Old 01-25-2018, 12:51 PM
onevoice
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 993 filter console on my 964. Drilling the case for the ports isn't hard, but you also need the later housing cover to route the oil out though the filter. Simple mod that puts a filter on the pressure side of the pump, like it should be.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:02 PM
Vancleef
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

First, congrats on designing and producing an amazing piece for our 964s! I think i'm not the only one that loves seeing modern day innovation for our cars, weather its Solid state DME, oil filter consoles, or suspension pieces. Thank you!

Second, I would love to see some pictures of this installed, or an install guide for us scratching our heads on how this all works.

Thanks again!
Old 01-25-2018, 04:57 PM
Catorce
Banned

Hey guys,

This product will really only work on an RSA or racing 964 without power steering because of the clearance issues with the PS pump. Mainly, I designed it to bring pressure side filtration capabilities back to the older cars, and because I can't stand the 993 piece both from a looks and functionality standpoint. On a car without PS, the filter is an absolute breeze to change. Here is a pic, engine tin removed so you can see how it works.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:57 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

+964 on those comments above .. pic not showing installed? I have deleted PSPump luckily.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:01 PM
Catorce
Banned

Originally Posted by HiWind
+964 on those comments above .. pic not showing installed? I have deleted PSPump luckily.
See above, I guess we posted at the same time.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:58 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

"964 folks - Even though the factory engine oil cooler lines are plugged in the 964 case, it's elementary to drill them out during your next rebuild so that you can add an engine mounted pressure side oil filter like the 993"

Is drilling out the only option? I can't picture that area of the case, are there core plugs that could be pulled out?
This is a mod I'd love to make but my engine is sound and dry. Just trying to see if this is something that could be performed without the need to open the case.

"on a car without PS, the filter is an absolute breeze to change"

The clearance between the filter and the hose union directly beneath looks close. Can you confirm that this hose can remain in situ whilst fitting/changing a filter?

Thanks

Last edited by robt964; 01-26-2018 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:03 PM
Catorce
Banned

Robt,

1. I have done this several times, and YES, the case halves need to be split. Attached is a pic of what the case looks like untouched (ignore my scribble on there). You need to drill one of the plugs into the oil gallery, then the other into the oil thermostat housing. It's really simple to do and takes 5 minutes because your guide is the existing bosses in the case, BUT this operation creates lots of metal shavings and its just not possible to do with a complete, running engine.

2. The pics don't really show this right. Clearance is a few inches.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:24 PM
onevoice
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can confirm a couple of things for the 993 type filter console installed on a stock 964, may not be true for this one with the angled filter position.

The filter can be serviced without removing the oil line, or heater hoses. It is a tight fit, and can be messy. To keep oil from draining on the exhaust, I have a funnel I put under the filter, then use a long punch through the funnel hole to puncture the filter. The reason is that the filter must be turned almost completely sideways to fit in the space, then upright to screw on. You can imagine what a mess it would be if you simply unscrewed it.

The power steering pump does not interfere at all.

The holes in the case weren't a hole that had been machined and then plugged (in mine), but were just never machined. Fairly easy to drill out, I did it on a drill press, but certainly nothing you could do with the engine in the car.

The thermostat housing cover (where there is of course no thermostat in a 964) must be changed so oil will flow through the newly drilled holes. There was also an issue with a temp sensor on the thermostat housing that had the wrong thread size. I replaced it with a sensor from another Pcar, (944maybe??), I don't recall but could probably look it up if someone is interested. Resistance curve matched almost perfectly.

I added mine because I had a cam failure, and had evidence of contamination in the oil tank, and therefore all the lines and heat exchanger. Not sure how the material got past the main filter, maybe the bypass was open during a cold start. But the extra insurance of a filter on the pressure side of the pump, (where it should be), seemed like a win-win to me. You just never know if ALL of the contamination is cleaned from the tank\lines\heat exchanger.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:39 PM
Catorce
Banned

^ great points, and to further clarify, YES those holes are not plugged at all - they do not exist and you must bore through the case material to make them. The bosses are there, but you are drilling through the case, not plugs.

Quick Reply: New Product - Billet Oil Filter console