Sponsored by:

9eleven headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 04:21 PM
grankin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 9eleven headlights?

I have seen adverts for what appears to be a HID headlight conversion that appears to fit right into the stock buckets. The ads say they come in two varieties, but nowhere on the website <https://9elevenheadlights.com/> does it make it clear what the differences are (rather than the name and the price). Has anyone seen or used them?

I have already put in a fair amount of effort into improving the 964's headlights by converting from H4 to H5 and re-wiring with relays switched by the dash **** to power the 100W bulbs direct from the battery (helps to have one's service dude be a smart guy with a degree in physics). I was less than pleased with the conversion kit, for the stock bucket is made from far better materials that the kit's bucket, and the adjustment then becomes quite fiddly.

Words of Wisdom, anyone?
Old 01-17-2018, 05:21 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Not familiar with them. I really like the Flat 6 Illumination LED kit. Plug and play and can configure the look however you want. Francois' customer service is A+ too.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:52 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by grankin
The ads say they come in two varieties, but nowhere on the website <https://9elevenheadlights.com/> does it make it clear what the differences are (rather than the name and the price). Has anyone seen or used them?
No affiliation.

Other than trim colours etc.. the difference is as follows?
The Raven is a bog standard (all be it very pretty bog standard) Bi-Led projector
The Raven S is as per above but also includes a DRL and turn signal.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:57 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts

Wish there was more information on these... there's been a lot of instagram hype but I'd love to see them compared to H5s, H4s, and H4s with 100w bulbs.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:35 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I have seen adverts for what appears to be a HID headlight conversion that appears to fit right into the stock buckets. The ads say they come in two varieties, but nowhere on the website <https://9elevenheadlights.com/> does it make it clear what the differences are (rather than the name and the price). Has anyone seen or used them?

I have already put in a fair amount of effort into improving the 964's headlights by converting from H4 to H5 and re-wiring with relays switched by the dash **** to power the 100W bulbs direct from the battery (helps to have one's service dude be a smart guy with a degree in physics). I was less than pleased with the conversion kit, for the stock bucket is made from far better materials that the kit's bucket, and the adjustment then becomes quite fiddly.

Words of Wisdom, anyone?
Confused you switched from H4's to H5's and not the other way around? You didn't see a considerable improvement over the H5's with the H4's? Honestly the H1's are so superior to both not sure why they don't get much love anymore and IMO look superior to all these new LED conversions which look odd to me and could never bring myself to installing on my cars. The H1's with a relay, 4 100 watt bulbs adjusted properly wired so both high and low bulbs come on throw more light than you would need but do draw power, heat and aren't as white but darn close enough and IMO look better. You can always convert to LED and still keep the classic look.

I don't drive much at night for long periods. Here are H1's on my C2
Old 01-24-2018, 12:31 AM
grankin
Instructor

Originally Posted by cobalt
Confused you switched from H4's to H5's and not the other way around? You didn't see a considerable improvement over the H5's with the H4's? Honestly the H1's are so superior to both not sure why they don't get much love anymore and IMO look superior to all these new LED conversions which look odd to me and could never bring myself to installing on my cars. The H1's with a relay, 4 100 watt bulbs adjusted properly wired so both high and low bulbs come on throw more light than you would need but do draw power, heat and aren't as white but darn close enough and IMO look better. You can always convert to LED and still keep the classic look.
[snip]
You're right; I got it backwards. Changed H5 to H4, and yes, I saw a considerable improvement. My sh*t-hot mechanic who designed the relay set-up opined that it'd be better if both high and low were not on simultaneously (by the time I learned this, it was fait accompli), but 100W bulbs ain't all that bad. OTOH, see below ...

Unfortunately I bought a VW R-32, which has HID lights, and they're even better. The VW is my go-to-the-shops car, so it gets more use. I get hooked on better light out in front, and that's what led me to inquire about still further improvements, but improvements that don't screw up the car's appearance. A system that uses the stock buckets (which I retained) would be better than the conversion kit I used (which kit will be posted for sale when/if I make the swap back to the stock buckets).

The advice & comments received thus far = appreciated.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:03 PM
camdon
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn these are nice. Expensive but nice.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:55 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

high and low on simultaneously? you cannot use the low beam? if so, i would soon be changing out the relay system, it's not brain surgery. : )
Old 01-26-2019, 08:50 PM
grankin
Instructor

Default 9eleven headlights?

Originally Posted by creaturecat
high and low on simultaneously? you cannot use the low beam? if so, i would soon be changing out the relay system, it's not brain surgery. : )
On low beam? Low filaments only. On high beam? High filaments only, not both simultaneously.
Rationale? 100W bulbs make lots of heat. Both filaments on at once? More heat.
This is a 25-y-o car, and doesn't need more stress. You don't care? Your car, your choice.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:24 PM
kricci
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought some, recently installed them and I love them. Simple install. I used my OEM trim rings although i understand i may have been the first person to do that.

The light out put is amazing - LED too not HID (if that matters to anyone). They put out the same or better light output than my 997 HID's...

Install was easy, and i love the DRL halos and the turn signals built in them.

No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer.

The following 2 users liked this post by kricci:
JP-"S" (06-26-2022), stetty (12-28-2022)
Old 01-26-2019, 10:18 PM
pitts12driver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have them. They are exceptionally well made and the team built me a set in non-standard combination of colors. I’m thrilled with how they look and work.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:13 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

On low beam? Low filaments only. On high beam? High filaments only, not both simultaneously.
Rationale? 100W bulbs make lots of heat. Both filaments on at once? More heat.
This is a 25-y-o car, and doesn't need more stress. You don't care? Your car, your choice.
I have run the H1's setup with high and low on at the same time on high for decades from SC"s to 964's without issues. Power is drawn directly from the battery via a relay and heavy gauge wire with circuit breaker. They do get hot but so long as you are moving never has been an issue and I am not worried. LED is nice bright white light but don't project as well as the H1's on high. That is why most LED lights have projector HID bulbs for high and LED for low. I am considering H1 LED bulbs for the low beams and keeping the H1's on high.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:54 PM
Forrest Gump 9
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kricci
I bought some, recently installed them and I love them. Simple install. I used my OEM trim rings although i understand i may have been the first person to do that.

The light out put is amazing - LED too not HID (if that matters to anyone). They put out the same or better light output than my 997 HID's...

thats a beautiful 964! Any pictures from the rear?
Old 01-27-2019, 07:01 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

cool - how much are these?

h4's with better bulbs/relays are excellent while preserving the oem look

francois at flat6 illum makes great lamps too, if u want the singer, new-on-old look

john audette also makes nice lamps, based on jw speakers

so many good options now for 964 headlamp upgrades
Old 01-27-2019, 09:32 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by kricci

which model are those? They don’t look like Raven or RavenS on the website.

Quick Reply: 9eleven headlights?