Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wishbones and Subframes refresh - How to treat?

Old 01-15-2018, 03:09 PM
stimpy32
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wishbones and Subframes refresh - How to treat?

I've got the front end off at the mo following an innocent steering rack refresh that turned into carnage!.. I had toyed with getting all the bits media blasted and sorted and then pier group pressure told me to get a life and drive it.... The OCD has returned and i wondered how folk are treating these units if at all once cleaned up?

I think they had no treatment other than the wax originally?

I could get them clear powder coated but wondered how long that would last. If ,having them natural and just waxing again is an option i'd probably rather do that...

Any ideas welcome.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:25 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it's all off the car now then why not? I had mine media blasted before giving them a good coat of lacquer. Once assembled, I sprayed all the components with a clear cavity protection wax. They still look perfect a few years on.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:33 PM
stimpy32
Instructor

Originally Posted by robt964
If it's all off the car now then why not? I had mine media blasted before giving them a good coat of lacquer. Once assembled, I sprayed all the components with a clear cavity protection wax. They still look perfect a few years on.
Thanks Rob, I was going to read your build again next!... Just sooooooo many pages.....

Any particular type of lacquer? I assume it is a UV stable one? And why not powder coat?
Old 01-16-2018, 03:51 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

UV stability isn't much of a requirement for parts that live on the underside of the car
I went for lacquer as I wanted a clear coating. Yes you can have clear powder coating but you've got to have a really diligent guy to do it. Blasting and powder coating is a messy business and I usually find that grubby finger marks have been put onto the fresh metal surface before they've sprayed them. Might just be the shop I use.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:17 AM
stimpy32
Instructor

I'm with you on that Rob.... Messy buggers...

Re the UV, I just dislike that yellowing that occurs and it will happen after a period even under the car.

Do you know if the originals were treated at all?. Other than the uber wax...
Old 01-16-2018, 09:14 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

I don't think so. Just a coating of cosmoline.
When reassembling give the bolt shanks a good coating of a non-metallic grease to reduce electrolytic reaction with the alloy parts. Mine where seriously furred up which made them a pig to remove.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:38 AM
stimpy32
Instructor

Yes, mine were too hence the whole lot coming off and a need for a replacement steering rack subframe... But then for 25 years I guess they weren't awful...

Thanks
Old 01-16-2018, 05:22 PM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go with high temp clear paint. It seems pretty durable. Cosmoline will work, but it's basically a waxy film that isn't as good as paint.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:32 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

https://www.eastwood.com/exoarmour.html

I used this on my control arms. I believe it is very close to what Gamroth uses on their engine cases. It is a high-tech armor coating that dries clear. I used paint removing gel, washed and then bead blasted my control arms before coating them with this. It is a two part chemical. Has a fairly strong odor, and dries clear and you cannot tell if it is on there after it dries. However, a year later after using it, my control arms still look new and nothing hardly sticks to them. It is very easy to use. You just mix the two parts and wipe on with a rag. It actually looks as if it is absorbed into the metal. I am very, very happy with the outcome. Expensive, but i only wanted to do this once. Watch the video that you can find in the link.

Last edited by Jacke2c; 01-16-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:54 PM
stimpy32
Instructor

Originally Posted by turbotwoshoes
https://www.eastwood.com/exoarmour.html

I used this on my control arms. I believe it is very close to what Gamroth uses on their engine cases. It is a high-tech armor coating that dries clear. I used paint removing gel, washed and then bead blasted my control arms before coating them with this. It is a two part chemical. Has a fairly strong odor, and dries clear and you cannot tell if it is on there after it dries. However, a year later after using it, my control arms still look new and nothing hardly sticks to them. It is very easy to use. You just mix the two parts and wipe on with a rag. It actually looks as if it is absorbed into the metal. I am very, very happy with the outcome. Expensive, but i only wanted to do this once. Watch the video that you can find in the link.
This stuff sounds great. Sadly doesn't look to be any in stock in the UK... Have sent a few emails...

Checked, not in stock for a month.... If i'm lucky!

Thanks.

Last edited by stimpy32; 01-17-2018 at 10:19 AM. Reason: addition
Old 01-17-2018, 08:47 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had my suspension bushings replaced by Chuck at EPR. They media blasted and clear coated the parts before installing sport hardness bushings. The parts looked like new when returned. I’m not sure what they use for the clear coat however. Does anyone else know?
Old 01-20-2018, 01:39 PM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We vapor blast and then coat with Protecta Clear

Low Res sucks, but in High res they are really spectacular

Old 01-20-2018, 02:02 PM
stimpy32
Instructor

Thanks Olsen. What is protect clear?
Old 01-20-2018, 11:19 PM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stimpy32
Thanks Olsen. What is protect clear?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_0?ie=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ProtectaClear https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_0?ie=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ProtectaClear

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wishbones and Subframes refresh - How to treat?