Sponsored by:

shims, spacers and other belt removal issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:43 AM
5hrine
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shims, spacers and other belt removal issues

New to 964 ownership and a few days ago one of the fan/alt belts broke, PO had assured me all belts had been changed. Finally all the parts arrived and I set about fixing the belts on the car, managed to undo the 24mm nut - no problem. came to remove the next bit (spacer?) seems as if it was welded to the alternator shaft along with a couple of mangled shims. Got the spacer and pulley halves off only to be faced with the next, almost welded on spacer. Anyone got any Ideas as to why they are stuck on, and any tips on how to remove. Also is the second inner spacer/shim on the right way round?

RESOLVED - thanks to everyone for the advice. I managed to smooth out the shaft and slightly enlarge the new spacers and shims to fit. Needed to cut down two of the fan pulley bolts as they were stopping the Alt pulley seat properly, used 3 shims on the fan and 3 on the alternator. All went back together and seems to run okay.

LESSON LEARNT - when the PO tells you they have just renewed/ changed/ mended something, be sure to check what they have done very carefully. I am now paranoid and will be going over the car to see if any other "fixes" need sorting out.

first stuck spacer and mangled shims

next bit of stuck spacer, is this the correct way round?

Last edited by 5hrine; 01-26-2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: resolved
Old 01-11-2018, 11:11 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Yes, the spacer is facing the correct direction. The wide part should support the back of the pulley half. This placement of the shims varies depending on how many are needed to get the belts tight. This is the default sequence and count. I normally end up with 3 shims under the alternator belt.

by the way, I would order a new set of shims. Yours are really mangled and you won't get the right shimming action from those.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ley-shims.html
Old 01-11-2018, 11:45 AM
5hrine
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Yes, the spacer is facing the correct direction. The wide part should support the back of the pulley half. This placement of the shims varies depending on how many are needed to get the belts tight. This is the default sequence and count. I normally end up with 3 shims under the alternator belt.

by the way, I would order a new set of shims. Yours are really mangled and you won't get the right shimming action from those.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ley-shims.html
New shims are going to be ordered. Should there be a set of 6 shims in total (3 alternator with extra holes & 3 fan without extra holes) I am have been assuming that the alternator belt is the closest to the fan and the fan belt is the furthest away from the fan, is this correct?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:20 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

The pulley closest to the alternator drives the fan, the second pulley drives the alternator. If you have AC, you have a third pulley (furthest away).
Old 01-11-2018, 12:42 PM
5hrine
Instructor

Okay, so the fan belt has the sensor.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:01 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 5hrine
Okay, so the fan belt has the sensor.
Correct! Also, make sure the studs for the fan belt are screwed in enough so they don't interfere with the spacer or the alternator pulley half. When I look at your second picture, the stud on the lower right looks like it could be out too far.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:16 PM
5hrine
Instructor

Thanks. I will check out the stud too. Just waiting for the parts to arrive. Got a battery drain to keep me busy in the mean time....and a water leak...and....
Old 01-23-2018, 07:17 AM
5hrine
Instructor

Originally Posted by HalV
Correct! Also, make sure the studs for the fan belt are screwed in enough so they don't interfere with the spacer or the alternator pulley half. When I look at your second picture, the stud on the lower right looks like it could be out too far.
Well spotted, two studs needed shortening, the alt pulley must have been out of line a little. Fitted new bits and all seems okay. Thanks
Old 01-23-2018, 11:19 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Good to hear. Did you find the source of that water leak yet? ; -)
Old 01-23-2018, 11:54 AM
5hrine
Instructor

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Good to hear. Did you find the source of that water leak yet? ; -)
Not pinned the leak down yet, but strangely. After I took the car for a test drive to check the belts were ok, the water that was in the front luggage compartment had gone. not sure if it managed to find a way out through a drain plug, or just spread out so looked less. I think it may be a bonnet seal issue, but there does seem to be a lot of condensation collecting on the underside of the bonnet. also the central locking/driver side lock has stopped working!

Quick Reply: shims, spacers and other belt removal issues