Front End Rebuild Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts
Default Front End Rebuild Questions

My Targa is finally in to have the new Bilstein B6 and H&R Sport Springs installed this week and I asked my tech to take a look at everything else while he’s in there.

During the inspection he found the steering rack is dripping (mildly) so that is going to get replaced. He noted that my strut mounts are in very good shape but the bearings have a small amount of grease seepage. I was on the fence on this but decided to go ahead and change them and keep the old parts as backup or maybe sell later.

Tie Rods are still perfect (surprisingly) and the boots are still in very good shape so they are staying.

I guess my question to the 964 brain trust is should I be changing out any other minor parts/pieces to get the front end up to snuff for another 30 years of canyon driving?

I don’t want to get carried away with upgrades but if there are bushings that could easily be replaced with everything apart I would love to know as I think that will help improve things and insure the front won’t need to come apart again.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

What do you mean by bearings? The wheel bearings?
Old 01-08-2018, 07:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
What do you mean by bearings? The wheel bearings?
The bearing that the strut rotates on at the top between the chassis and strut.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

The bearing that the strut rotates on at the top between the chassis and strut.
Thats the one I needlessly replaced

There wasn’t much worn in my front suspension. Struts and springs plus associated clips and the rubber gasket did it for me. Control arm bushes would be a complementary task.

In the rear suspension it was the same, albeit a fellow kiwi has worn top mounts in his and they are pricey.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm so maybe I shouldn’t change them? At $520 for the set they’re not exactly cheap but certainly less costly than taking the shocks out again if they fail.

I failed to mention that the control arm bushings were checked and all but one were in good shape. I decided to replace the bushings anyways to Elephant Racing since everything is apart anyways and not much added labor.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:18 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you consider the control arm bushings?
Old 01-08-2018, 08:21 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tbennett017
Did you consider the control arm bushings?
Yeah, I failed to mention it in my first post, they are being replaced with Elephant Racing Bushings.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:07 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

MB, you not doing rear suspension at the same time?
Old 01-08-2018, 09:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokes
MB, you not doing rear suspension at the same time?
Sorry yes I am definitely doing the rear suspension. New Shocks and Springs are going in the rear. My tech checked everything in the back and the top mount looks perfect and the bushings are in good shape. I don’t recall there being anything else in back that would need attention which is why I’m focused on the front.

The big thing is that the steering rack was unexpected as I wasn’t seeing any leaking (under tray caught it all) so the news came as a surprise. The steering rack bushings are also being replaced with new stock.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:16 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Get the rack rebuilt.

Rear has rubber: top of shock, bottom of shock, swing arm, and spring plate. All can wear. And do.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:07 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

...Tie Rods are still perfect (surprisingly) and the boots are still in very good shape so they are staying.
...should I be changing out any other minor parts/pieces to get the front end up to snuff for another 30 years of canyon driving?

I don’t want to get carried away with upgrades but if there are bushings that could easily be replaced with everything apart I would love to know as I think that will help improve things and insure the front won’t need to come apart again.
I know you said the tie rods looked good, but stock inner tie rods are soft and comfy. Now's the time to upgrade to a solid tie rod design (from Tarrett @ $360, no affiliation).
http://www.tarett.com/items/993-964-...rtr-detail.htm

...The big thing is that the steering rack was unexpected as I wasn’t seeing any leaking (under tray caught it all) so the news came as a surprise. The steering rack bushings are also being replaced with new stock.
Replaced with stock rack bushings, or upgraded Kevlar reinforced urethane bushing and steering rack brace?
http://www.rothsport.com/Products/Ch...e.htm#bushings
Old 01-09-2018, 12:21 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

I agree with 911Jetta - I would definitely do the inner tie rods (while in there).

I haven't personally don it but from what I read it's among the best mods you can do to improve steering/ front suspension feel.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I know you said the tie rods looked good, but stock inner tie rods are soft and comfy. Now's the time to upgrade to a solid tie rod design (from Tarrett @ $360, no affiliation).
http://www.tarett.com/items/993-964-...rtr-detail.htm

Replaced with stock rack bushings, or upgraded Kevlar reinforced urethane bushing and steering rack brace?
http://www.rothsport.com/Products/Ch...e.htm#bushings
Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
I agree with 911Jetta - I would definitely do the inner tie rods (while in there).

I haven't personally don it but from what I read it's among the best mods you can do to improve steering/ front suspension feel.
Thanks for the additional suggestions. The difficulty I have with making a jump to a solid mount or harder material is that I also want this car to be comfortable over the road for long periods of time. I’m willing to give up some handling/steering feel for improved comfort. My Spyder offers plenty of steering precision and feel and I really don’t want a second car that isn’t very fun to drive on the highway.

Are the Tarret Tie rods going to increase the vibration and overall harshness of the front end or is it relatively benign?

I’m going to have the outer tie rods replaced since they’re inexpensive and I guess I need to decide if its worth changing the inner tie rods with stock.

I also debated the steering rack urethane bushings but again I don’t want to get carried away in the name of handling. I guess I should have mentioned this in my original post too.

I guess I need to decide on the inner tie rods....
Old 01-09-2018, 02:28 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I hear your concerns about comfort regarding the solid inner tie rods. No experience here, but it's on my future upgarde list. Would also like to hear more from people who've made the upgrade.

Regarding the steering rack bushing upgrade/brace. I did that months ago and only notices a subtle difference in feel and with no additional noise or harshness. Just feels slightly heavier and more direct. Very subtle.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:54 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Edit in response to above:
Very little additional vibration from either the poly steering rack mounts or from solid inner tie rods. Solid inners have been a common g-body upgrade since the dawn of time. As 911Jetta says, just a more direct steering feel. Don't replace the outer tie rods just because they're old. That approach will get you into trouble quick!

How much of your money would you like us to spend? There are lots of options and lots of threads on them.

- A leaking steering rack isn't uncommon and a seal-only rebuild will fix it. Seal kits are available and any competent shop should be able to rebuild it in an hour +r&r time. I'd recommend rebuild yours versus buying a rebuilt rack with unknown history.
- Front top strut mounts only really need replaced if the bearing doesn't rotate smoothly. You'll definitely feel that difference in the steering. Slight age cracks in the top mounts, oddly, don't have much effect on the street in my experience. The "grease seepage" diagnosis is odd, and kind of suspicious. The remaining rear rubber is also stout and rarely an issue.
- The inner and outer tie rods both have a really long service life. The trouble is that the inners are squishy by design making aftermarket solid versions a nice upgrade to consider.
- Save a couple dollars by avoiding middle-men. For instance- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Porsche-993-964-Turbo-1989-98-Steering-Rack-Mount-Bushing-Polyurethane/122846403749?hash=item1c9a375ca5:g:U1sAAOxy0QBSTI-6&vxp=mtr
- I would suggest Euro ride height for the Bilstein/H&R combo. Very low heights get into front compression travel issues.
- Last, consider running RS camber specs when they put it on the alignment rack. They're still mild specs but will give a little extra grip in the turns and won't add any appreciable tire wear.

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Front End Rebuild Questions