Sponsored by:

My 964

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 09:12 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Enjoy the drive Dingo, this is truly the best part of 964 ownership!

The scenery does look beautiful, actually lots of similarities to Southern California.

Make sure you stop and get some more pictures when you can.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:02 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts
Default cool...

Originally Posted by Dingo
If anyone is interested I am at my first stop on a 3 day trip in the 964. Doing approx 1400km on the south island of nz. Pictures don't do the roads and scenery justice, it's absolutely stunning.

Near castle hill

Travelling through the otira viaduct near Arthur's pass nz

The car is running like a dream, only drama was a large chip in my windscreen from a rock of a passing car, I was thinking it would be a replacement when I got back home but i stopped into a windscreen place as we were reaching our destination for the night to see if they could repair it. They did an awesome job and I'll keep the windscreen in.

Rainy afternoon coming into the west coast, can see my chipped windscreen on the right.

Tried to take a picture of the repair but it's barely noticable! Have a 450km drive tomorrow, down the west coast. Really looking forward to it!
can you post one kind of your route? sounds exotic...west coast of australia,double far away from here...
Old 02-05-2019, 03:07 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

DOH...! my bad, realized as i reread...NOT au...NZ, was thinkin 1400 kms not that far on the BIG island, especially when including the west coast, sorry, but i'd still like to see the route, actually even more exotic being that much farther away...
Old 02-05-2019, 11:39 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Enjoy the drive Dingo, this is truly the best part of 964 ownership!

The scenery does look beautiful, actually lots of similarities to Southern California.

Make sure you stop and get some more pictures when you can.
Thanks mb, I'm really enjoying it. I'd love to visit California one day. Have just arrived at our destination for the night, took plenty of photos today so I'll sort through them tonight and post a few good ones!
Old 02-05-2019, 11:55 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kkswow12
DOH...! my bad, realized as i reread...NOT au...NZ, was thinkin 1400 kms not that far on the BIG island, especially when including the west coast, sorry, but i'd still like to see the route, actually even more exotic being that much farther away...
Hi kevin, I come from Australia originally, have driven from Tasmania to north Queensland before that was a big drive! Here's a map of the drive so far, think we are going to extend the trip we are enjoying it so much!

The drive so far
Old 02-06-2019, 02:28 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Had another great day behind the wheel today, did about 450km down the west coast to the central lakes for the night. Got another stone chip in the windscreen so its probably time for a new one
Here are pictures from today!

On the way to look at fox glacier

Waterfall on the road up to fox glacier

At fox glacier! Absolutely stunning there!

Bruce bay

Heres me stretching my legs

Knights point

Was hard not to put the foot down here!

Coming into our destination

The paint is copping it from the newly sealed roads!

Tomorrow we are going to the highlands racing track, and taking it as it comes!
Old 02-06-2019, 02:31 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

I love traveling in the 964. I never get tired of driving it! Haven’t done more than a day or 2 at a time but would love to go for a long trip up to Hokkaido which is relatively unpopulated. Enjoy!

Pete
Old 02-06-2019, 02:44 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
I love traveling in the 964. I never get tired of driving it! Haven’t done more than a day or 2 at a time but would love to go for a long trip up to Hokkaido which is relatively unpopulated. Enjoy!

Pete
Hey pete, it's such a nice car to travel in. Even with rs carpet, no sound insulation, g pipe and cat bypass we could listen to the radio and have a conversation. And it is ridiculously good on fuel! I've used 1 tank of 95 and traveled about 600km! I'm guessing Japan would be a lot like nz. The only downside is quite a lot of tourists on the road.
You have to do that trip. How is your car going?
Old 02-06-2019, 05:38 PM
Buildingadrm964
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am inspired!!!!!!!!!! I have two cars sitting, and haven't started my project. I have a 1991 coupe(tip w/ no engine & trans.) and a 1991 cab(where I an getting my engine and trans...). I am going to start pulling the engine this weekend. I am also going to stock up on degreaser, so I can clean mine up like yours.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:43 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

Yeah- lots of cars on the roads here usually too. Which is why I want to go up north. Japanese are all ow drivers too. I’ve had to go into 1st to pass on occasion.

My car is in pieces while I try to figure out what path Togo with the motor. I took it out plannning on resealing it and having a good look over decided it best to tear it down- but just haven’t had time to make any decent progress for the last few weeks so I’m kinda worried about getting back together before spring. Lookin more like summer at this point which is a bit stressful. Really want to get back in the seat!

Old 02-06-2019, 11:53 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What a great drive! I took the more southern route from Christchurch to Queenstown in a rental when I visited over 10 years ago. Stopped at Mt Cook along the way. Came back up the southern coast on the way back. Unforgettable...
Old 02-07-2019, 02:41 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Buildingadrm964
I am inspired!!!!!!!!!! I have two cars sitting, and haven't started my project. I have a 1991 coupe(tip w/ no engine & trans.) and a 1991 cab(where I an getting my engine and trans...). I am going to start pulling the engine this weekend. I am also going to stock up on degreaser, so I can clean mine up like yours.
Happy to inspire! Man I'd love to have 2 964s! Post a thread on your progress so we can see! On the degreaser, I reckon I've used 30 cans Haha! It is a satisfying job making something caked in oil and crud shiny again!
Old 02-07-2019, 02:46 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
Yeah- lots of cars on the roads here usually too. Which is why I want to go up north. Japanese are all ow drivers too. I’ve had to go into 1st to pass on occasion.

My car is in pieces while I try to figure out what path Togo with the motor. I took it out plannning on resealing it and having a good look over decided it best to tear it down- but just haven’t had time to make any decent progress for the last few weeks so I’m kinda worried about getting back together before spring. Lookin more like summer at this point which is a bit stressful. Really want to get back in the seat!

Oh man the tourists are the opposite here, everyone was overtaking me even though I'm doing the speed limit!

Are you doing the work yourself or do you have a decent mechanic?

I know exactly what you mean, I'd probably end up putting it back together so I could drive it! Whatever you do I'm excited to read about it
Old 02-07-2019, 03:04 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by apanossi
What a great drive! I took the more southern route from Christchurch to Queenstown in a rental when I visited over 10 years ago. Stopped at Mt Cook along the way. Came back up the southern coast on the way back. Unforgettable...
Its been awesome! I'm already thinking about my next trip! Definitely like to travel along the bottom of the island like you did.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:31 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Another good day on the road about 1050km driven so far and the car hasn't missed a beat! Smooth sailing today, came from the middle to the east coast for the night. On the way we stopped at the National transport and toy museum and the Highlands motorsport park and museum which were pretty cool. Here are some pics from today if anyone is interested.

Highlands motorsports park

At the highlands motorsports park

Somewhere on the road

Herding sheep 964 style

Cool old hotel

Quick Reply: My 964