Sponsored by:

My 964

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 07:40 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard H
I think it is because the thermostat is 'free floating' and therefore the position of the pipes and hoses govern the position of it. I did consider trying to adjust the position but thought it not worth it. If I remember my conclusion was that I would have had to shorten the rubber hoses to the oil tank by about 5mm to pull it up a bit and didn't really want to mees around with them. My mount had split and I have no idea how long it had been like that, probably quite a few years. In my opinion the thermostat is really held in position by all the pipes and hoses so the mount has very little effect. I did replace it anyway when I renewed all the hoses.
Yeah agreed, I'd say mine was broken for a while too. The only thing that worries me is that because it's hanging down a bit the oil line from thermostat to oil filter (which I'm currently rebuilding) is closer to the rear trailing arm.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:19 PM
Richard H
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also replaced the oil line from the stat to the filter and haven't noticed any interference. As I used a new Porsche line it took a bit of work to get it in without a kink so wouldn't want it sitting any higher!
Old 08-31-2018, 08:21 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

I also replaced the oil line from the stat to the filter and haven't noticed any interference. As I used a new Porsche line it took a bit of work to get it in without a kink so wouldn't want it sitting any higher!
That's a fair call! I'm sure I'm just over thinking it!
Old 08-31-2018, 08:32 PM
Richard H
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingo
That's a fair call! I'm sure I'm just over thinking it!
That's all part of the fun!!
Old 08-31-2018, 08:39 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

That's all part of the fun!!
Hahaha! This whole thing has been so stressful! I won't sleep properly again until the car runs!
Old 09-02-2018, 11:50 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Default It's Alive!!!

New oil line

Finished job. Well almost... forgot to paint the cover for the oil level sender!
Old 09-02-2018, 11:53 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Loving the new side sills!
Old 09-03-2018, 04:34 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Now the car is running again I wanto focus on getting it sitting right and looking good. I'm not happy with how it looks at all. I think it looks too plastic and not really porsche.

Thinking I have 3 options.

1: Proper Fuchs wheels with silver lip with a ducktail.

2: Put the d90s back on and standard deck lid.

3: Cup 1s with standard decklid.

All of the above sitting lower on new suspension. Also I'll get the proper original shark fins and replace my taillights and center reflector.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:38 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

These are the Fuchs I've been looking at. From d911
Old 09-03-2018, 04:48 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Does anybody know an economical way to lower the car? I just wanto get it sitting nice, not driving the car hard.
I have bilstein suspension all round. The front springs are green and the rear are black.
The black springs in rear look original as they are very rusty compared to the fresh looking green ones up front.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:03 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 338 Posts

In my opinion, the ducktail would be a mistake if you eventually want an original decklid. I've been there done that. Mine cost $2,000 to import, source the hardware, fit and paint. That's fine if you have the luxury of the original decklid in storage, but you don't. I paid a kings ransom to source the spoiler, mechanics and the boxes that go under the seat, but at least I had the original decklid. You need to go a step further and find a decklid. They do come up for sale in the US, but finding someone who will crate and ship it is the next problem and it would be $$$. Save your money for that.

Re the wheels, do that after you sort the rest. The Otto Fuchsfelge are $$$. Great quality but your existing ones have the similar look.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:23 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
In my opinion, the ducktail would be a mistake if you eventually want an original decklid. I've been there done that. Mine cost $2,000 to import, source the hardware, fit and paint. That's fine if you have the luxury of the original decklid in storage, but you don't. I paid a kings ransom to source the spoiler, mechanics and the boxes that go under the seat, but at least I had the original decklid. You need to go a step further and find a decklid. They do come up for sale in the US, but finding someone who will crate and ship it is the next problem and it would be $$$. Save your money for that.

Re the wheels, do that after you sort the rest. The Otto Fuchsfelge are $$$. Great quality but your existing ones have the similar look.
Yeah that's a fair call, I think I'd be happy with either. I can get a ducktail for $1200 From d911 and get it painted cheap and I already have the s/c grille from my whale tail, but still big dollars for me if I still have to get an original which I'd like to. Another option is I could get a fibreglass reproduction... actually no that's probably doing it half assed!

It really does sound like hard work sourcing an original Decklid so I'd probably wait and keep an eye on trade me..

I guess I'll start attacking things one at a time, I'm getting a bit overwhelmed! Any ideas on the lowering?

Old 09-03-2018, 05:47 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Actually now that I think of it the front sits pretty nice so I just maybe have to lower the back. Looks like it needs to come down 2 or 3 inches.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:51 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Wonder if these would fit
Old 09-08-2018, 05:04 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Had a great afternoon driving around with Mrs dingo. Cup holder is Definately a welcome addition! Everything seems to be fine after my first oil change and replacing a few hoses.

Quick Reply: My 964