964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 964

Old 01-03-2018, 02:20 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Love the side profile shot above. The Fuchs and wing really make it unique.
I tore my sound pad out years ago. Didn't notice much difference. Have been hesitant to cut the studs off, maybe one day. (They are not as noticeable since my car is Slate Grey).

Just noticed you don't have any engine bay stickers?
Old 01-03-2018, 02:44 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 137 Posts

Dingo,

Car is looking great, and it looks like you are having a ball (great summer too). I removed my sound pad, it was doing nothing besides snowing crap onto the motor as it was so tired. It certainly looks a lot tidier without the sound pad hanging down. However, I would think long and hard about cutting off the studs. Once they are cut off, they are gone, difficult to reverse engineer. When I drop the engine (as you do) that is maybe the time to refit the sound pad, and the look back to stock. The option of keeping the studs still exists for you or the next owner. Just saying, your car, enjoy.

S
Old 01-03-2018, 02:52 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Looks awesome! I agree with Spokes, keep the studs. Deleting the rear blower motor next would really open things up back there.

Keep up the good work!
Old 01-03-2018, 04:07 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Love the side profile shot above. The Fuchs and wing really make it unique.
I tore my sound pad out years ago. Didn't notice much difference. Have been hesitant to cut the studs off, maybe one day. (They are not as noticeable since my car is Slate Grey).

Just noticed you don't have any engine bay stickers?
Hi There, thanks me too! I like plain and simple and unique! Yeah I think reading comments from you guys I'm probably going to have to leave the studs! That's what I think it is, because of the colour they stick out! When I got the car all the engine bay stickers were peeling or completely faded so I took them off, and then panicked about them later after they were long gone! They arn't important are they? Cheers
Old 01-03-2018, 04:11 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spokes
Dingo,

Car is looking great, and it looks like you are having a ball (great summer too). I removed my sound pad, it was doing nothing besides snowing crap onto the motor as it was so tired. It certainly looks a lot tidier without the sound pad hanging down. However, I would think long and hard about cutting off the studs. Once they are cut off, they are gone, difficult to reverse engineer. When I drop the engine (as you do) that is maybe the time to refit the sound pad, and the look back to stock. The option of keeping the studs still exists for you or the next owner. Just saying, your car, enjoy.

S
hey spokes! Thanks mate, yeah I've been doing something with the car most days! It's been great. I'm heading to kaikoura for the first time tomorrow. Should be interesting! I think I'll leave the studs now. I would say I'm never going to sell the car etc' but I don't know what is going to happen in the future!
Old 01-03-2018, 04:14 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dingo
...because of the colour they stick out!
I think you're right, they seem invisible in my car so I left them. Plus I'm lazy and not talented so didn't want to go to the next step. You're much more industrious than me.

When I got the car all the engine bay stickers were peeling or completely faded so I took them off, and then panicked about them later after they were long gone! They arn't important are they? Cheers
Not important at all. I actually like the clean look. Make it your own!
Old 01-03-2018, 04:14 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Foxman
Looks awesome! I agree with Spokes, keep the studs. Deleting the rear blower motor next would really open things up back there.

Keep up the good work!
hey foxman! Yes I'm definitely deleting the blower soon! Is there anything I can do with that ugly air box?!
Old 01-03-2018, 04:20 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

You can take the snorkel off. Easily disconnects from the air box if you want to experiment with the look. Twists right off.
Is the airbox cover stock, or has it been Swiss cheesed?
Old 01-03-2018, 04:22 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

I think you're right, they seem invisible in my car so I left them. Plus I'm lazy and not talented so didn't want to go to the next step. You're much more industrious than me.

Not important at all. I actually like the clean look. Make it your own!
Maybe I'll find some kind of red rubber plug to go over them! Haha industrious! I like it!
Oh sweet I feel the same, love to see nothing but a car, wheels and an engine!
Old 01-03-2018, 04:48 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

You can take the snorkel off. Easily disconnects from the air box if you want to experiment with the look. Twists right off.
Is the airbox cover stock, or has it been Swiss cheesed?
I was think even more radical! Like something to tidy things right up. I've seen people with a pod there but can't find any information on them. I did notice when I took it off yesterday that someone had drilled about a dozen small holes in the cover 😐
Old 01-03-2018, 07:43 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Default Wof

Just went for it's 6 monthly warrant of fitness or wof! Passed with flying colours! Sat in the waiting room cringing and sweating for half an hour while some stranger drove and played around with my pride and joy 😐
Old 01-05-2018, 02:37 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingo
hey foxman! Yes I'm definitely deleting the blower soon! Is there anything I can do with that ugly air box?!
Hey Dingo,

sorry for the late reply. We had a blizzard here today and I've been behind another kind of air cooled engine blowing snow all day.

I also dont don't like the look of the 964 snorkel. 993's have an optional sport box with a bit of chrome to spruce up the engine bay.

One alternative is the Evo Hi Flow Cold Air Intake. Looks great, but some have voiced concern over the location drawing hot air.
http://www.eagleday.com/964evohicoai.html

Evo

Another alternative if you like carbon is the RS style which retains the snorkel height https://www.design911.co.uk/mobile/#part;id=7571

RS style duct (replica)

And not that anyone can really see the side of the airbox, but I really didn't care for much for the Swiss cheese look. I ran across a photo of a box with the entire side cut out, and that was my inspiration. Quick work with a dremel.

when will Rennlist fix the photo bug?

Old 01-05-2018, 04:58 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Foxman

Hey Dingo,

sorry for the late reply. We had a blizzard here today and I've been behind another kind of air cooled engine blowing snow all day.

I also dont don't like the look of the 964 snorkel. 993's have an optional sport box with a bit of chrome to spruce up the engine bay.
Hey foxman no worries at all, that's not good, I hope everything is ok. It's also been stormy here today, had a lot of rain and a bit of flooding!

I think there is far too much clutter in the engine bays of these cars! Thanks heaps for the detailed reply. I have decided on the direction I wanto head. I really like the tidy and simple look of the pod filter tucked away up the back. Tidys things right up. Surely there would be so much air blown around under the hood that no matter what you do you would suck a bit of hot Air!
I think I'll pull the Air box off tomorrow and make a template of the Air flow meter and make an adaptor myself and grab a pod filter. Back at work on Monday ☹ so will be a nice project for next weekend!
Cheers 👍
Old 01-06-2018, 02:21 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Default Keyring!

Keyring turned up today!
Old 01-06-2018, 07:15 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

^ love your key chain. Where did you get it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 964