Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 964

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 05:49 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks like my fun jobs will have to wait...
noticed this today, I'm pretty sure it didn't look like this before
Old 03-16-2018, 06:04 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingo

Looks like my fun jobs will have to wait...
noticed this today, I'm pretty sure it didn't look like this before
Dean, that’s not uncommon with these. I have the been there done that T shirt. Unfortunately there is only one fix, you have to buy a new one. At least the new one will come with a hub bearing. I bought mine from Rose Passion.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:11 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM

Dean, that’s not uncommon with these. I have the been there done that T shirt. Unfortunately there is only one fix, you have to buy a new one. At least the new one will come with a hub bearing. I bought mine from Rose Passion.
Hi John I was actually going to ask you about this. Do you think I can drive it for the rest of my holiday or am I best to not drive it until it's fixed? What's the cost roughly? When I replace it I'll be installing a single belt adaptor.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:35 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Hi John I was actually going to ask you about this. Do you think I can drive it for the rest of my holiday or am I best to not drive it until it's fixed? What's the cost roughly? When I replace it I'll be installing a single belt adaptor.
Dean - Given the state of your fan, I would not drive it and risk damage. Not sure about pricing in NZ, but in the US it is about $400-$450 with the bearing. Here is how I went about to change mine, a bit daunting at first but not that hard really. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post11378795
Old 03-16-2018, 03:26 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Definitely wouldn't drive it with the fan like that!
Old 03-16-2018, 03:36 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 138 Posts

D, bugger! Probably not worth the risk of driving it.

Upside to maintain your engine bay with the fan replacement. Paint the shroud, check the alternator and brushes.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

How long is your holiday? I don’t think anyone is going to advise driving it around much because that crack is quite long and the possibility of total failure is high which would damage the shroud and decklid. That said you’ve likely been driving with it like this for a while. Your car your money. You can mark it all and check for progression

As for when it happened, I reckon your eye just hasn’t caught it before. It was there but not seen. I see everything now on these cars because I’ve been there done that with so many parts. You don’t want me judging a concours!

Unfortunately the only new option is Porsche. With freight, customs etc they are about NZ$1,200 landed.

I’ll check my spares. I think I have a used one off the Silver C4.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Well, I do have one. I’ll have to check my photos to make sure the condition pre powder coating was excellent. Two blades have corrosion on the edge.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:12 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LPMM

Dean - Given the state of your fan, I would not drive it and risk damage. Not sure about pricing in NZ, but in the US it is about $400-$450 with the bearing. Here is how I went about to change mine, a bit daunting at first but not that hard really. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post11378795
Hi lpmm, thanks for that I'll have a read today when I get time. Looks like it will be going back in the shed
Old 03-16-2018, 05:14 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Definitely wouldn't drive it with the fan like that!
Hi jetta, nope unfortunately will be off the road for a while. Nothing compared to what you are going through though, I hope everything comes together for you painlessly and in your favour.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:15 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spokes
D, bugger! Probably not worth the risk of driving it.

Upside to maintain your engine bay with the fan replacement. Paint the shroud, check the alternator and brushes.
Hey Spokes, although I'm disappointed I think the same, will give me the opportunity to clean and check things.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:21 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM

How long is your holiday? I don’t think anyone is going to advise driving it around much because that crack is quite long and the possibility of total failure is high which would damage the shroud and decklid. That said you’ve likely been driving with it like this for a while. Your car your money. You can mark it all and check for progression

As for when it happened, I reckon your eye just hasn’t caught it before. It was there but not seen. I see everything now on these cars because I’ve been there done that with so many parts. You don’t want me judging a concours!

Unfortunately the only new option is Porsche. With freight, customs etc they are about NZ$1,200 landed.

I’ll check my spares. I think I have a used one off the Silver C4.

Hey John, got another week off. Looks like the family wagon will be the weapon of choice!

Any extra damage to the deck lid would probably tidy it up a bit haha

I looked through all my old photos, I knew there were a few small hairline cracks but nothing like this. I'd say it's gotten worse.

Haha you are like me inspecting someone else's plumbing, I'm like Satan

Awesome I'll send you a text
Old 03-18-2018, 09:34 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Default Going into hibernation!

For anyone interested, spent the past 2 days giving the car a full spa treatment. Full clay bar, wet sand where needed and polish. Then went back in the shed where she will hibernate for a while until I accumulate some parts (and money haha) and I'm ready to install new engine fan
Old 03-18-2018, 09:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Wait, you just sanded and polished the car and you only posted one pic of the finished product!!!!

Single stage Guards Red is stunning after a proper polish, it’s the only paint that looks try wet and ready to drip off the car.

What polish did you use?
Old 03-18-2018, 09:55 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Wait, you just sanded and polished the car and you’re not posting any after pictures!!!!

Single stage Guards Red is stunning after a proper polish, it’s the only paint that looks try wet and ready to drip off the car.

What polish did you use?
Hi marine blue, well you wouldn't beleive it but I havnt taken many photos, my parents are over from Australia on holidays and I really wanted to get the car finished and back in the shed so I could spend time with them so I was basically just working like a machine to get it done! It was hard to get a photo where it truly shows how great it looks. Bear with me though as I think Mrs dingo has some.

Mate, I was actually in shock after I had done the first panel. The paint looks like hot jam or something haha you are right it looks like it could drip off the car!

I just used a generic fine polish from the local auto store, probably could have splashed out and bought an expensive one but It came up almost perfect.

Quick Reply: My 964