Notices
964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My 964

 
Old 06-28-2018, 08:11 PM
  #241  
Dingo
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 794
Default

Originally Posted by 911Jetta View Post
Awesome! Fits the look of the car well. Glad you didn't go over the shark fin, looks better cut off by the shark.
Thanks udo! Yes absolutely! In normal dingo fashion I done a massive amount of research on other people's installs before I did It! Next on the list is actually new shark fins as mine are some kind of crappy aftermarket ones that I hate!
Dingo is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 08:13 PM
  #242  
Dingo
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 794
Default

Originally Posted by Foxman View Post
Looks great - nice work Dean!
Thanks Jim! I love It!
Dingo is offline  
Old 07-01-2018, 11:11 PM
  #243  
Dingo
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 794
Default


Being over cautious as usual, does this look like the correct oil filter for me?
Dingo is offline  
Old 07-01-2018, 11:52 PM
  #244  
John McM
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
John McM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand.
Posts: 11,832
Default

Originally Posted by Dingo View Post

Being over cautious as usual, does this look like the correct oil filter for me?
Yes, it's correct. You'll also need two washers for the drain plugs and to work out how you are going to torque the drain plugs correctly. The one under the case is hard to get to with a torque wrench. Torque it too little and you risk it coming undone. Torque it too much and you risk deforming the case threads. Given how little mileage you are doing, I would concentrate on doing it right than doing it quickly. You also need a big oil pan as the old oil will come out hot and quickly.
John McM is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:05 AM
  #245  
Dingo
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 794
Default

Originally Posted by John McM View Post
Yes, it's correct. You'll also need two washers for the drain plugs and to work out how you are going to torque the drain plugs correctly. The one under the case is hard to get to with a torque wrench. Torque it too little and you risk it coming undone. Torque it too much and you risk deforming the case threads. Given how little mileage you are doing, I would concentrate on doing it right than doing it quickly. You also need a big oil pan as the old oil will come out hot and quickly.
Thanks John, yes that was going to be my next question, I can't find the washers either, I had a quick look on the pet also. Thinking ill buy a stock so I don't have to muck around in the future. If I do the oil change over the pit at work would it be easy to access with torque wrench?
Do I even need to change the oil once a year if I only put about 1200k on It?
Dingo is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:05 AM
  #246  
John McM
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
John McM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand.
Posts: 11,832
Default

Note that the plug torque level has been previously misquoted. Off the top of my head it's 35 ft/lb or 50Nm

Before you do this, check the drain plug positions. I've heard of people undoing one of the oil relief plugs by mistake.

Aside from all of this, the biggest mistake people make is overfilling. An easy way to avoid this is to measure what you take out and only put that much back in, at the start.

Overall a simple job if done carefully. It's slightly more than drain and refill
John McM is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:10 AM
  #247  
John McM
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
John McM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand.
Posts: 11,832
Default

Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
Thanks John, yes that was going to be my next question, I can't find the washers either, I had a quick look on the pet also. Thinking ill buy a stock so I don't have to muck around in the future. If I do the oil change over the pit at work would it be easy to access with torque wrench?
Do I even need to change the oil once a year if I only put about 1200k on It?
Washer is 900-123-118-30 22x27x1.5

You need to raise the rear of the car to get the pan under the engine. Torque wrench issue is the heat exchangers getting in the way. Change oil every year no matter what mileage. I use Pentrite 10 tenths 15W 50. Lots of Zinc.
John McM is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:14 AM
  #248  
John McM
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
John McM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand.
Posts: 11,832
Default

If you aren't doing much mileage, make it a practice to get it nice and hot when you do use it. This will help with any water condensation. If you find water in the oil you first drain from the thermostat, it shows lack of use. I found the same condensation in the right hand chain tensioner on the engine I'm now rebuilding.
John McM is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:15 AM
  #249  
Dingo
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 794
Default

Originally Posted by John McM View Post
Washer is 900-123-118-30 22x27x1.5

You need to raise the rear of the car to get the pan under the engine. Torque wrench issue is the heat exchangers getting in the way. Change oil every year no matter what mileage. I use Pentrite 10 tenths 15W 50. Lots of Zinc.
Great, thanks for the part number. Ok I think I'll have to Jack the car up and see what I'm in for.
Dingo is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:17 AM
  #250  
Dingo
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 794
Default

Originally Posted by John McM View Post
If you aren't doing much mileage, make it a practice to get it nice and hot when you do use it. This will help with any water condensation. If you find water in the oil you first drain from the thermostat, it shows lack of use. I found the same condensation in the right hand oil tensioner on the engine I'm now rebuilding.
Yes I did read that somewhere. I all ways make sure I get it up to temperature before it gets put away.
Dingo is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:23 AM
  #251  
John McM
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
John McM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand.
Posts: 11,832
Default

Dean, this is what I bought to solve the torque wrench problem https://store.snapon.com/Standard-mm...r-P631801.aspx
John McM is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:25 AM
  #252  
John McM
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
John McM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand.
Posts: 11,832
Default

Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
Yes I did read that somewhere. I all ways make sure I get it up to temperature before it gets put away.
You want to get it to a temp where the thermostat opens i.e. gauge goes to 10pm then drops to 9pm when it opens. This allows full flow of all oil in the system.
John McM is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:32 AM
  #253  
Dingo
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 794
Default

Originally Posted by John McM View Post
Dean, this is what I bought to solve the torque wrench problem https://store.snapon.com/Standard-mm...r-P631801.aspx
Originally Posted by John McM View Post
You want to get it to a temp where the thermostat opens i.e. gauge goes to 10pm then drops to 9pm when it opens. This allows full flow of all oil in the system.
Ok so I'm guessing I buy a 3/8 drive torque wrench? Man this is actually quite daunting first time!
Dingo is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:37 AM
  #254  
John McM
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
John McM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand.
Posts: 11,832
Default

Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
Ok so I'm guessing I buy a 3/8 drive torque wrench? Man this is actually quite daunting first time!
I use 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" torque wrenches. Then use a set of adapters to work between sizes e.g. I use a 1/2" wrench with an adapter to 3/8" to fit the Snap-on tool.
John McM is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:54 AM
  #255  
Dingo
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 794
Default

Originally Posted by John McM View Post
I use 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" torque wrenches. Then use a set of adapters to work between sizes e.g. I use a 1/2" wrench with an adapter to 3/8" to fit the Snap-on tool.
Man I can't afford 3 of them haha ok I'll buy the 1/2 and adaptor you listed, will be ordering oil filters ect' tonight. Ready for oil change in a few weeks or so.
Dingo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 964


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: