Sponsored by:

Re-Spray

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 09:59 PM
afshinbahrami
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Spray

Hello, I've been looking at purchasing a 964 for several months. What are your thoughts on a '93 C2 which has been completely re-painted. The seller discloses that it has undergone a windows out re-paint over 10 years ago,,,can you please please given me opinions on how much of a price reduction a complete re-paint might have,,, also please given me honest opinions of appeal,,,,I'm curious to know how many would simply no consider this car? I've looked at '93 - '94 cars in the low to high $70K price range,,,,but considering its has been re-painted? what are your opinions? thank you very much. Afshin.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:37 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

It depends on the quality of the repaint.
And the mileage.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:07 AM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

If the respray was to freshen up a 27 year old paint job (not because of any accidents), and it was a quality job, for me I would pay more for that.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:22 AM
deadendd9009
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Original paint is always going to be the best paint. But sometimes road rash and rust makes it impossible to keep it. Its all about quality, I would have a close look before deciding if its a dealbreaker or not.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:48 PM
afshinbahrami
Advanced

thank you fellas, appreciate it. I think i will have a body shop check out the car.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:58 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Make sure you use a paint meter when checking out the car. That's the fastest way to determine the cause of the repaint... was it cosmetic or was it to repair a damaged panel. I would like my car repainted in the next year or so just because the paint has outlived its useful life and I have a small rust bublle under the wind shield seal. However, before I repaint it (or have it done) I will document it heavily to show its pre-paint condition.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:10 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by deadendd9009
Original paint is always going to be the best paint. But sometimes road rash and rust makes it impossible to keep it. Its all about quality, I would have a close look before deciding if its a dealbreaker or not.
Sorry I disagree, as original paint on a nearly 30 year old car is going to have at least lots of road rash or worse, if the car is not a garage queen, so it won't be the best any longer.

Best paint and road rash are mutually exclusive things, and I for one would think at this point a high quality re-spray would be the best paint vs. original 30 year old tired paint with road rash etc
Old 12-16-2017, 05:48 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

There is nothing inherently wrong with a quality, glass-out respray, I think. If it is done to cover undisclosed damage, it's of course a problem. All depends on how well the paint job was done. If done right, not a deal breaker.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:29 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts

If we're talking top of the market pricing, in addition to an inspection both in sunlight and with a spotlight, I'd want to see paint meter readings and the paperwork involved in the re-spray... every quality re-spray I've seen is a serious five-figure job, and few are as good as the OEM paint on a well cared-for car.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:57 PM
afshinbahrami
Advanced

Originally Posted by turbotwoshoes
Make sure you use a paint meter when checking out the car. That's the fastest way to determine the cause of the repaint... was it cosmetic or was it to repair a damaged panel. I would like my car repainted in the next year or so just because the paint has outlived its useful life and I have a small rust bublle under the wind shield seal. However, before I repaint it (or have it done) I will document it heavily to show its pre-paint condition.
Can you please elaborate on what you are saying? how can i determine the cause of the repaint? since i know the entire car was repainted?
Old 12-17-2017, 01:20 AM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

When you are measuring the thickness of the paint, it should be close over the entire surface of the car. The tops will generally be thicker and the bottom edge less so since it is more difficult to paint. If you have an area that measures significantly different, you may be measuring body filler. The previous owner that had it painted should have before and after pictures of the car. He/she should also be able to document the reason for the re-paint. Our cars are getting to the age where the paint for a great majority of drivers is getting past its prime in my opinion. Lots of small stone chips etc. A quality repaint does not scare me, a repaint covering up body issues is very expensive in the long run...
Old 12-17-2017, 03:22 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

A good repaint is a great added value- would you rather have old 30 year old paint? unless the car was a garage queen barley driven sure thats nice, but if its doing what a P car is intended to do "Drive" then of course it would be nice to have the paint refreshed with a good quality job in the original matching color!
Old 12-17-2017, 04:38 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
A good repaint is a great added value- would you rather have old 30 year old paint? unless the car was a garage queen barley driven sure thats nice, but if its doing what a P car is intended to do "Drive" then of course it would be nice to have the paint refreshed with a good quality job in the original matching color!
If You try to sell two similar 964s, one completely original, the other with lots of desireable upgrades and usefull/sensible modifications people tend to pay more for the original car and then start to modify it to be like the already modyfied car the rejected to buy for less money!
Old 12-17-2017, 07:16 AM
thesmithsUK
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As others have said, fresh paint doesn't necessarily impact on the value. In my view, an extremely well-looked after but higher-mileage car (with a comprehensive history folder and some discerning upgrades) can be just as appealing as a totally original, lower-mileage example. You need to consider the whole proposition, rather than worrying about paint per se.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:33 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd pay more for a great re-spray. What's the actual point of "all original paint" besides showing the car hasn't been in an accident? "All original paint" isn't worth anything to me personally, just tells me the car wasn't driven or it's in really rough shape. I could see if you're the type to not make any modifications to the car, but most of us like to drive and customize these things.

Quick Reply: Re-Spray