Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment spec advice?

Old 12-15-2017, 02:22 AM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Alignment spec advice?

Going to for corner balance and alignment tomorrow at Johnson's in Torrance. Any feedback on my guesses below would be good. Lots of opinions when I search, but I can't find much context for what people wanted out of the car.

Car is a pretty close to full weight C2 with:
KW v3
Tarret Spring Plates
Eibach sway bars
e88's with 235 / 265 Nitto NT01s.

I've ground the sides of the washers for the front upright adjustment, so I can get a more camber than I'll need I think. I know without upper mounts I'm limited on caster. But Caster seems ok on my home garage alignment after driving. (I have toe plates and camber gauge). Car will get a little track work, but not much. While I like a nervous track car with a little toe out in the front, I think I just want this to be predictable and easy to drive. I don't have much experience setting up porsches, so I was looking for some advice. I was thinking something like:

Front:
2 degree camber
1/16th total toe in

Rear
1.8 degree camber
1/8th total toe in
Old 12-15-2017, 04:21 AM
Mezger
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run RS Specs with -2.5 front and -2 in the rear.
That works quite well for me.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:21 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I'm not a fan of lots of negative camber in the front for street use. I'd go -1.5 max. If you want it easy for the street. Obviously track is another animal all together and settings change dramatically for different tracks and tires and conditions, etc...

If you find it tram-lining a bit with -2, back it up a bit and it'll settle down.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:24 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks guys. If others search, here is where Steve at Johnson's and I settled on set up. He used to race 964's, so I figured his guidance was a good place to start. For a street car with limited track time, we went with:

Front: -2.0 deg camber, 4mm total toe in, ~4deg caster
Rear: -1.5 deg camber, 8mm total toe in

My race cars usually have zero front toe to a little bit of positive, and I like a nervous car. But this amt of toe makes the car pretty predictable, but does follow the nose pretty good when given input. Its hard to do a before and after comparison as we did most of the bushings at the same point in time. I'll report back on tire wear, but I'm running NT01s, so they won't be lasting very long anyway...
Old 12-16-2017, 09:25 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you are on the right track, my 964 with motion controls, rs ride height, on BFG R1

F -3.2 deg camber. 0mm toe out total
R -2.5 deg camber 3-5mm toe in total.

Last edited by jellonailer; 12-16-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alignment spec advice?