964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Backdate 964 - Thoughts?

Old 12-13-2017, 08:48 AM
F1tifosi
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Considering a Backdate 964 - Thoughts?

I would love to explore commissioning a 964 backdate project and would value this communities input. I want a car I do not have to obsess about the mileage, has boosted/enhanced performance vs. a current 964 C2, can be truly customized, and that has the classic lines/beauty of an early Porsche yet the modern comforts of the 21st century. Assuming Singer is out of the question (price point alone would relegate it to becoming a garage queen not to mention I do not want to wait two years), would value your thoughts and input. GProgramm? Ruf? Others?

Note: realize this post may elicit negative feedback regarding destroying a classic 964, but I am planning on buying a "last leg" donor vehicle/sample.

Thank you
Old 12-13-2017, 09:18 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,165 Posts

If that s what you like buy it, have it built, whatever. If you think in a few years you will sell it for what you have into it I would guess again.

There are very few backdates that IMO do the long nose cars justice. I see them show up at shows and immediately can tell they aren't a real long nose and I just don't get the need to drive something that is trying to be something else. For what it would cost to build I know of some fantastic long nose outlaw projects built on 72-73 tubs that IMO are superior in every respect, look the part and are fun to drive.

I know a lot of people that have old SC's that spent a ton to have them look like 930 turbo S's or 930's modified to look like 964's and the owners never understood why nobody wanted them when they went to sell especially considering the money they dumped into them.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:49 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I love backdates for the creative and individualistic side. There's over 60 years of 911 inspiration to work with. Look at the retro touches Porsche add to their special editions carst? Follow your dreams and passion... That said, I see so few 964s that it's a shame that so many are modified to such an extent that they no longer recognizable.

What about a RS/Hot Rod/Outlaw project?

Strip and simplify the interior, tune the suspension and get rid of old/worn rubber parts so everything is alive and direct, open up the exhaust, then get a sweet set of wheels... Checkout some RL member cars for inspiration.

Backdate idea thread:Longhood Friday: 964 backdates and other retro ideas: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...tro-ideas.html
(Boy, this looks so good, and I bet drives even better!)

Old 12-13-2017, 09:52 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Early long hood cars are beautiful, but not to be confused with the level of comfort of a 964. Working climate control, power steering, power windows and locks, abs, coilover suspension, all goes a long way in making for an enjoyable daily/road-trip car. Not to mention the injected 3.6. The last thing that I would care about is someone turning up their nose at a cars and coffee because the car doesn’t “do justice” to the early models.

The purpose of a hobby isn’t to make money. Why care about resale speculation? These projects are all over the map anyway: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...che-911sc-4-2/

I say go for it. Especially since you’re going in with the attitude of having something to drive rather than garage furniture.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:02 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I love backdates for the creative and individualistic side. There's over 60 years of 911 inspiration to work with. Look at the retro touches Porsche add to their special editions carst? Follow your dreams and passion... That said, I see so few 964s that it's a shame that so many are modified to such an extent that they no longer recognizable.

What about a RS/Hot Rod/Outlaw project?

Strip and simplify the interior, tune the suspension and get rid of old/worn rubber parts so everything is alive and direct, open up the exhaust, then get a sweet set of wheels... Checkout some RL member cars for inspiration.

Backdate idea thread:Longhood Friday: 964 backdates and other retro ideas: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...tro-ideas.html
(Boy, this looks so good, and I bet drives even better!)

I could never drive a car like this on the street. Having an exposed roll cage so close to your head is IMO dangerous. In the unlikely case of an accident odds are you will be hurt worse when your head impacts the roll cage without a helmet to protect you.

The advantage of the older tubs is the light weight which IMO works much better to give you the feel of the early cars. You don't need a 3.6 to make them fun. A nicely built engine with individual throttle bodies would be a better experience. These cars are all weekend drivers so most of what a 964 offers is unnecessary.

Still not sure what is wrong with a 964 being a 964.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:03 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Got RUF ?
Price probably on a par w Singer, but....
Old 12-13-2017, 10:35 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Why not start from a 912?

Trending Topics

Old 12-13-2017, 10:36 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

You're free to do as you will - and you should.
But you will get flak no matter what you build, even the Mona Lisa.
Go in with eyes wide open (this thread is here for that) and enjoy.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:01 AM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

I think a lot of people have gone through this iterative process as well. When you really start to look at the cost and time to do it "right" I think a lot of people stop. Even to half *** this would be expensive. I thought about this for a brief moment myself but when I looked at executed examples, most didn't look right.

I agree with Cobalt - a better option IMO is to either buy or build a long hood hotrod. Making that car more modern with the long hood look is going to be a lot easier (and more authentic visually) than the other way around. I'd really encourage you to drive a well sorted long hood car. You could even drop in a 3.6L engine and trans if you really want the power of the 964. This would be less money than what a quality body shop would charge you to make the transition of the body with paint...

And I also agree with the roll cage comments on the street. In an accident, it would be like hitting your head with a baseball bat. And the ugly high density foam wouldn't save you.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:02 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want a backdated car, start with an older car.
Other than esthetics, what are your goals? Why a 964 and not a 3.0, sc, 993, 912... figure out what your needs are, and pick the right tub for your goals. Just because singer uses a 964 to backdate doesn't mean it's the only solution.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:17 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Has anyone backdated a 996 ?

If I were to do it I would pick a 912 and swap a GT3 drivetrain like someone already did. Now THAT is my type of backdate!
Or get a GT3 and make it look like a larger 912. In Irish green. Dark gold steelies. Mustard color half cage.... mmmmmmmm.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:26 AM
F1tifosi
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts

Fabulous and amazing responses - Thanks much folks
Old 12-13-2017, 01:03 PM
AMGSiR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drop me an email at cstenersen@weissach.com

We have a few options for the 964 including the RUF RCT EVO, as well as a 911ST look that we're developing.

Last edited by AMGSiR; 12-19-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:38 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Oh man, that RCT EVO is nice!
I'm completely happy though with the look of my car. I'm getting the interior dialed in just the way I like it....but one thing I dream about is putting a RUF turbo motor into it. Keep it a C4 of course, but up the volume quite a bit.

That's the most insane thing I think I'd do to my car....
Old 12-13-2017, 05:33 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Example, in my opinion, of a backdate gone wrong...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122856210767

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Considering a Backdate 964 - Thoughts?