Sponsored by:

Front truck jammed and won't open

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:53 AM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front truck jammed and won't open

I bought a carbon fibre hood and installed but didn't like it so i replaced my original front trunk.

I did not have it perfectly adjusted as there is pretty big gap on the windshield side of the frunk.

Anyway, when i went to open the trunk, the release was loose and had no pop when you pull it.

Also, tried to pry it a little and got the trunk up a bit but decided i better search online first. No luck. Lots of guys getting stuck in the water cooled but no help in the air cooled sections except on there was a something posted by a RSA guy that you can release the frunk from an emergency cable near the a/c condenser / driver side wheel well. .

Is there a diy on this?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Your car may or may not have the emergency cable but its worth a try.

http://www.rsamerica.net/articles/te...se_article.htm
Old 12-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I believe the emergency pull was installed starting with the 1991 model year.....1989 and 1990 definitely did not have it. I installed one on my '90 as a precaution.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:38 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Sol
Anyway, when i went to open the trunk, the release was loose and had no pop when you pull it.
It sounds like the issue is with a broken handle release and if so, this is your best case scenario. Same thing happened to me a couple months back, it felt loose and then one day nothing, no pop anymore. You need to remove the release handle and you'll have two screw to remove the cover and then two bolts (hex IRRC) to remove the handle itself. The top bolt is hidden by the handle, so you need to pull the handle up to reveal it. Assuming that it is not you cable that broke but rather the plastic tab on the back of the handle, once you have the handle removed you will be to realign the cable to give it enough tension to pop the hood. You can also use pliers to pull on the inner cable to pop the hood, but I did not want to risk damaging the cable. Note that if you have an emergency release, you can obviously use it to pop your hood open.

Once your hood is popped open, loosen the cable at the latch to give it a little bit of slack. This will give you enough room to work to repair the broken tab (red arrow). With a broken tab, it does not hold the cable in place any longer and allows it to slide out of the slot (yellow arrow) when you pull on the release handle. You can either remove the handle completely and do the repair on a bench, or give yourself enough slack to repair on the spot. I used JB weld on the tab, I let it sit for 24 hours before reassembly, then readjusted the cable at the latch end to pop the hood properly, and I have not had any issues since. I also took the opportunity to add an emergency release hidden behind the side reflector (no drilling) with a combination of parts from a bicycle shop and Home Depot.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:57 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlydays
I believe the emergency pull was installed starting with the 1991 model year.....1989 and 1990 definitely did not have it. I installed one on my '90 as a precaution.
My MY 91 made in Nov 1990 doesn’t have the energy relaese cable
Old 12-07-2017, 01:11 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnK964
My MY 91 made in Nov 1990 doesn’t have the energy relaese cable
PET shows the latch mechanism break in versions between MY1991 and MY1992 ('91 having a 911 prefix, '92 having 964). So it might be the later latch (w/ microswich for alarm sensor) that has the pull.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:32 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

bugger me... i think it's jammed so not a cable issue... just that when i re installed the frunk, i left a bit of a gap and now it is stuck, jammed and locked... prefer not to bring out the grinder for this job.... last resort only of course...
Old 12-07-2017, 02:07 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

If your frunk release handle is broken as describe above you can put your right hand up over the realease handle and feel for the cable then push down on cable while pulling realease handle with left hand. My release handle was broken and that is what I did
Old 12-07-2017, 02:11 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

There is drainage hole in the floor of the trunk directly below the trunk latch. Hypothetically speaking... You might be able to push a long flat head screwdriver through that opening, with the tip ending up between the latch and the locking mechanism. The locking mechanism is just a cam that when rotated slightly will release the hood.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

thanks for the advice. i'll dig into this over the weekend and will report my findings... fingers crossed. my thinking is to slightly pry the hood open and hook the spring loaded hook and pull towards the front of the car... what a hassle!! the spring loaded handle that pulls the cable is limp and i hope i can use jason's trick from under the front of the car.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:19 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alex Sol
thanks for the advice. i'll dig into this over the weekend and will report my findings... fingers crossed. my thinking is to slightly pry the hood open and hook the spring loaded hook and pull towards the front of the car... what a hassle!! the spring loaded handle that pulls the cable is limp and i hope i can use jason's trick from under the front of the car.
​​​​​​​
Alex here are a couple of pictures inside the frunk. The top picture is looking up at the latch the cable attachment is circled. To get it to open with the screw driver method will require you to push it to the left. The other pic is looking down a the hole is circled. You state your cable is slack that is what mine felt like when the release handle broke. Then you state you might try and lift up the hood to try and and pull on the hook. That seem to be a good plan if the trunk is teased from the locking latch that I circled in the photo. Then the spring loaded hook that you mention could be jammed but I am not certain how.

Good luck
Old 12-09-2017, 07:48 AM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlydays
Mine is a 89 build and didn't have it - had it retrofitted for the same reason.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:00 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Another thing I thought of is if you have your spare tire and carpet in the frunk the screw driver method described above would make it unlikely to work stuff in the way😫😫
Old 12-09-2017, 11:59 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know if this will help, but HERE is a link to my thread when I broke the cable that opens the trunk.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

nice work Steen... 10 years ago.. i'll dig into it this afternoon..

Quick Reply: Front truck jammed and won't open