Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Pads

Old 12-04-2017, 10:54 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track Pads

Have standard discs on my car but with braided lines and performance fluid. Braking is actually ok but the juddering annoys me.. I know this is due to uneven pad deposit on the discs, is there any way round it? will some performance pads do a better job or resisting this and if so which ones to go for?
Old 12-04-2017, 11:06 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack,

Check out a thread I posted a while back. I was having the same issue and was able to take care of it without replacing the discs by cleaning the rotor faces with schotchbrite pads.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ke-rotors.html
Old 12-04-2017, 11:32 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MTR
Jack,

Check out a thread I posted a while back. I was having the same issue and was able to take care of it without replacing the discs by cleaning the rotor faces with schotchbrite pads.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ke-rotors.html
Thanks.. problem is I've cleaned them before and it has come back. I can do it again but need to change pads. What do you recommend for track that is still usable on road?
Old 12-04-2017, 12:28 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.pe
Thanks.. problem is I've cleaned them before and it has come back. I can do it again but need to change pads. What do you recommend for track that is still usable on road?
I'm in a strong believer that you should use a dedicated track pad for the track. I don't want to run into a situation where I have brake fade due to a using a noise and dust friendly pad that doubles for street use.

With that said, I have run Pagid Yellow RS29 pads on the street between events and they are a little noisy at times and dust more than a street pad but that's the price you pay. You might give up a little braking capability driving around town when they are cold but they seemed fine to me. Also, the judder I developed during a track day didn't return after I did the disc cleaning and re-bedded the pads. It's strange that you are seeing the deposits come back, what pads are you running?
Old 12-05-2017, 06:05 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Can’t temper for sure but think it was Pagid or Textar OE spec street pads.. I’ll look for something more track focused
Old 12-05-2017, 06:37 AM
n1ne11
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm in the same situation, Jack. Bought HP2000's instead of pretty stock looking ones, replaced them, went to the track, deposits came on disks, drove too much on them on track, had vibrations and even liquid boiling at the end. Now searching for solution to resurface disks and look at pads if they need replacement after only 2 trackdays.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:03 PM
PAOLOP
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Pagid yellow or black, no issues at all on track
Old 12-07-2017, 12:27 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

My choice in track pads have been PFC (Performance Friction), currently using some PFC97 - I know there are updated compounds but I have a couple sets of these. All track pads require bedding in, but PFC's claim, and I agree, is that they bed in quite easily in just the first session out. And, by their design, the first thing they do is clean off the coating on the disc from the previous pad compound and then lay down their own compound. Because my cars were also daily drivers, I would switch back to street pads after a track weekend. And this would require a more careful bedding in.
I tried Pagids (orange?) and I felt they were difficult to bed in, and I had pretty bad shudder develop with them, and it was hard to get the rotors cleaned up to switch back to street pads.
My $0.02
Old 12-07-2017, 01:01 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by PAOLOP
Pagid yellow or black, no issues at all on track
Perfect answer.

I use a set of Hawk Blues strictly for rotor cleaning when a driver has uneven pad deposits. One lap around the block with those Hawk pads and they are clean.

Put the (above) Pagids in or street pads and voila, no more judder.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:39 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm another devotee of PFC-97's! I like them because they are a "medium" grip pad when it comes to modulation, so I don't put the harnesses thru my chest the first time I stomp on the pedal.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:19 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

I guess Pagid Yellows then... Pricey though at about £400 for a full set!
Was also looking at EBC yellow stuff which are half the price, those any good?
Old 12-08-2017, 12:27 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.pe
I guess Pagid Yellows then... Pricey though at about £400 for a full set!
Was also looking at EBC yellow stuff which are half the price, those any good?
I've used Pagid 29(yellow) for years and been very happy

Last year the Pagids were hard to come by so I tried PFC08 also a very good pad for track use.
The PFC have much more initial bite and probably aren't as rotor friendly as the Pagids,

I've never had a bedding or deposition issue but the PFC is purportedly better here too.

Either is fine for summer street use just keep them clean and dry and they will be fine, The PFC has more metallic content which needs to be cleaned off the wheels quickly or it sets up and is increasingly difficult to remove

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track Pads