964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WEVO engine mounts - black or blue?

Old 11-29-2017, 08:17 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Default WEVO engine mounts - black or blue?

parts are starting to pile up for my time under the car coming up. I've got one bad engine mount, so going to put in something stiffer. looking at the WEVO mounts. Anyone have actual experience with both black and blue mounts? Looks like a lot of people here use the blue ones. This car will get some track time, but my days of being willing to have my fillings vibrated out are over. Anyone have an opinion one way or another?
Old 11-29-2017, 10:56 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

I just installed a set with blue pillows replacing well worn original mounts. There is vibration in the seat that was not there before and the engine noise is much louder in the cabin. If I were not doing longer trips in the car with my lady I might leave it that way however it's a little tiring holding a conversation and I doubt I'll be disappointed with the black mounts in terms of performance. I just ordered a set so I can't answer from experience but in my case the black will be the way to go.

Pete
Old 11-29-2017, 11:06 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a pair of black mounts on and was annoyed by engine noises I never heard before. Kept my wondering what was making the knocking sounds. So I switched to 993 mounts and all's good.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:46 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I run blues. Love them. You hear and feel the rumble a bit more. I also run a radio delete, so all I ever hear is the car. The 964 still feels super comfy in the engine mount department compared to my Toyota sport compact with Energy Suspension motor mounts, and I've been daily driving that rattling thing for the past 14yrs. I guess I'm hardcore.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:14 AM
peter_jansen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blacks here. Love them. Never use the radio and like to hear the car. Consider reinforcing the engine carrier if not already done.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:32 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews
...Anyone have actual experience with both black and blue mounts? Looks like a lot of people here use the blue ones. This car will get some track time, but my days of being willing to have my fillings vibrated out are over. Anyone have an opinion one way or another?
Locking down the engine with stiffer motor mounts is one of the best upgrades for these cars, otherwise the engine is constantly flopping around back there. The car feels even more solid and predicable going into turns. Shifting is a little better too! It comes at the cost of a little more vibration and engine noise in the cabin (just a tittle more noise, but it's there).

I started off with Wevo Black and eventually ended up wanting more, and mixed the pillows with black on top and blue on bottom. After consulting with Wevo, they said the upper pillow does most of the work, so a stiffer lower pillow only adds a negligible effect to the overall stiffness. I've been using this set up for over 7 years with a stock engine carrier.

I'm also part of the no radio crew.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:06 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

I don't have a radio in the car, so that isn't as much of a concern. Sounds like I should start with black. I would like a noticeable difference from stock, but I also want my family to be willing to be in the car. I actually put the cat back in the car and am running just a 2ndary delete because of the drone and the smell. So I'm trying to balance a couple factors which does lead to compromise. Anyone think this is the wrong move?
Old 11-30-2017, 12:24 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I also want my family to be willing to be in the car.
I would just stick with regular plain-jane OE hydraulic mounts.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:53 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I don't have a radio in the car, so that isn't as much of a concern. Sounds like I should start with black. I would like a noticeable difference from stock, but I also want my family to be willing to be in the car. I actually put the cat back in the car and am running just a 2ndary delete because of the drone and the smell. So I'm trying to balance a couple factors which does lead to compromise. Anyone think this is the wrong move?
New mounts in black will really sharpen things up.

My kids, now 14 and 10 have grown up driving in this car for the last 10 years. Cat delete, primary delete, stiffer motor mounts and transmission mount (just added this past year), drilled air box, engine sound pad and rear parcel shelf removed... yes, a little smelly at times, but noise and vibration - while definitely not stock, is a far, far way off being harsh or compromising.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:17 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

blacks ordered. if I want more, I'll try your mixed approach later. thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:16 PM
eeterp
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone run 993 RS mounts? I assume they'll fit.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

You guys are all so sensitive. Go stiff!!!!
If this were a cruiser you’d go oem.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:35 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by eeterp
Anyone run 993 RS mounts? I assume they'll fit.
The 993RS came with the 964RS mounts.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:08 PM
eeterp
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Jason
Old 12-01-2017, 12:19 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I’ve driven with oem hydraulic 964, oem 993, and wevo Black on mine. And I’ve driven an identical car with blue back to back with mine.

If you like the soft oem performance the best is 993. They cost less and don’t fail like the 964 mounts.

For me, i like the black. Gives you the base performance of the rs type mount, and doesn’t add a lot of noise.

Blue are better, but it’s very marginal, and they add noise. For a track car, you go all performance, but you also wear ear plugs or you go deaf during your 50s...race cars are noisy. And rough.

Fast street cars. Cushy with a bite. Go black.
I think you made the right choice.

I’ve been considering mixing the pillows, just haven’t bothered since there is always another pending project...I’ll get there at some point.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WEVO engine mounts - black or blue?