Sponsored by:

1994 Porsche Speedster – Only 31 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 12:29 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default 1994 Porsche Speedster – Only 31 Miles

I've seen this car on display many times over the years, and now it's for sale...

Offered by Road Scholars:

Details and Story:

This 1994 Speedster is the finest in existence and it is more of a tale of the previous owner’s pursuit of perfection than a quest for 911 sales. In the early 1990’s the economy was in shambles and Porsche, as a stand-alone company, was dying. Sales were at crushingly low levels, exchange rates were high, and the company needed a way to get someone, anyone, to walk through their showroom doors. The Speedster was their answer. While Porsche manufactured only 427 of the Typ 964 Speedsters, this rare Speed yellow version is one of only two assembled with an all Black lightweight interior option instead of the usual multicolored accents. This car was ordered for one purpose: to be shown in the Porsche Clubs’ Porsche Parade concours to win the coveted 1994 Manhattan Trophy. The Manhattan Trophy was the PCA’s top honor; only one car every year could win it. It went to the best car on the field. Weldon Scrogham’s G & W Motorwerks out of Waynesboro, VA seemed to have a lock on it, winning it four years in a row. Their client Charlie Hunter is renowned in the Porsche world for always having the best car available. As the story goes they would completely inspect the car and if the A-arm had a mark or nick (which all of them did) they would order ten of them, pick the best one, and return the others. They repeated this through out the entire car! They would spend more than $100,000 in man-hours and perfect parts prepping a car on the way to the only Trophy that mattered in their Porsche world. They also say this is the reason the Manhattan Trophy went away. The other restorers complained that they couldn’t beat the “new” cars being shown. The final year of the Manhattan trophy was 1995 and to prove a point Weldon showed Charlie’s 550 Spyder (chassis # 075) instead of a “new car” and it kicked *** once more. That was it for the Trophy. The other also-rans whined and complained so much the trophy it had to die. This car is now the last surviving car to win the coveted honor as 550-075 succumbed a garage fire in the late 90’s. This is the finest Porsche on the planet with the pedigree to prove it. What’s more, it has covered only 31 miles in its entire life.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:15 PM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At this point the car will probably never be driven, it's a dandy!
Old 11-21-2017, 03:16 PM
908/3fan
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I've seen this car on display many times over the years, and now it's for sale...

Offered by Road Scholars:

Not a big fan of yellow but the specific car looks stunning. Oh God, i love it!
Old 11-21-2017, 03:24 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I guess I'm the bad guy here in thinking this car looks absolutely atrocious. Sorry, not sorry.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:37 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I have a friend with an 89 silver speedster, stored in humidity and temperature controlled storage since new, no fuel in tank, retained original orange oil filter, car has 44 kms. it is available.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Certain colors lend themselves well to a color matched wheel, yellow isn’t one of them IMHO. Otherwise its a beautiful car and obviously showroom condition. I’m curious how the Speedsters drive in comparison to a C2 widebody or standard C2, other than rarity and those awesome seats is there really a reason why they’re worth so much more?
Old 11-22-2017, 04:52 AM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Certain colors lend themselves well to a color matched wheel, yellow isn’t one of them IMHO. Otherwise its a beautiful car and obviously showroom condition. I’m curious how the Speedsters drive in comparison to a C2 widebody or standard C2, other than rarity and those awesome seats is there really a reason why they’re worth so much more?
Because George Clooney drives one.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:20 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Great to have cars like this around. Funny, it looks like it's sitting really "tall". : )

A good friend has a Speedster, though in red, and it is beautiful. I tried it on for size a while back, and I don't fit in those seats at all, and while at 6'1" and 200lbs, I am big, they made me feel enormous...
Old 11-22-2017, 03:45 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

It does sit "tall" you don't know how much I wanted to put it on the deck. I also had a new 964 RSR that was shown at the Lake Placid Parade (along with a 356 Carrera) that year, thought it had the advantage because it was so low you couldn't possibly get under it but the Speedster edged it out.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:38 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 246 Posts

Never really had any interest in 964 speedsters and never understood why Porsche didn't use the M491 as a base... This car does nothing for me.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:38 PM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rally car height! Is that a CD changer/storage on the center console? Liking the painted Cup 1's. It's an interesting car and color in a good way I believe.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:10 AM
fasterlaster
Racer

Originally Posted by 964Q
Is that a CD changer/storage on the center console?
I believe it is just a cassette tape storage holder. Similar to this photo from pelican http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...nsole-tan.html
Old 11-28-2017, 09:57 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Stunning example. I have never been a fan of the NB speedsters but how can you overlook the cleanliness of this one? The coveted Manhattan Trophy was the one to win and I have friends that have their own take on the event.

Clearly a late 94 MY wearing some 993 parts. No doubt crazy money to the right collector. I do find it odd that the wheel wells seem to be in yellow. All the 94 builds except black and midnight blue that I have seen unlike the '93 and older had their wheel wells painted black from the factory. It was painted over the body color. I am curious if this car came this way or was it cleaned to the extent that they removed the black paint? This should have been a point of debate for originality in such an intense competition.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:35 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Back in early 1996 I bought a white with all back 94 Speedster. I loved the car. At 6'3" and 210 I actually loved the seats and felt right at home in them. nearly 2 years later it was stolen. Before I bought the white one, this yellow one was offered around by G&W the only issue being price. They wanted more than I had set aside for the car at the time. I am amazed its not been really even moved since then. What the heck do you do with a 1994 car that has 31 miles on it? I put roughly 10k miles on mine in the 2 years I had it.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:41 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Stunning example. I have never been a fan of the NB speedsters but how can you overlook the cleanliness of this one? The coveted Manhattan Trophy was the one to win and I have friends that have their own take on the event.

Clearly a late 94 MY wearing some 993 parts. No doubt crazy money to the right collector. I do find it odd that the wheel wells seem to be in yellow. All the 94 builds except black and midnight blue that I have seen unlike the '93 and older had their wheel wells painted black from the factory. It was painted over the body color. I am curious if this car came this way or was it cleaned to the extent that they removed the black paint? This should have been a point of debate for originality in such an intense competition.
The car was shown exactly as delivered, including a heinous drip "run" on the oil tank that I had to recreate. During this time the car was subject to originality points so it had to be as delivered.
Cole
Cole

Quick Reply: 1994 Porsche Speedster – Only 31 Miles