Sponsored by:

1994 Porsche Speedster – Only 31 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 05:15 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by cscrogham
The car was shown exactly as delivered, including a heinous drip "run" on the oil tank that I had to recreate. During this time the car was subject to originality points so it had to be as delivered.
Cole
Cole
Interesting. I am not sure why Porsche painted some wheel wells black and others retained the color of the body. I know my 94 was delivered with black wheel wells on a blue car and I have seen dozens of others that came the same way but I only Judged a few speedsters so anything I guess is possible. I guess it is a 94 only thing and how many actually knew what Porsche was doing when I am not so sure Porsche knew? I guess they were coming to the end of the old way of producing these cars and whatever was done was done. In 94 about half of the cars came with the 993 style black door striker plates and the rest came with the gold cad plating. How was anyone to know what was correct and what wasn't? At Parade two and three years ago the judges didn't have a clue regarding preservation and the car that won in '15 wasn't even close to being accurate for preservation class. It is a purely subjective sport I guess.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:44 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Interesting. I am not sure why Porsche painted some wheel wells black and others retained the color of the body. I know my 94 was delivered with black wheel wells on a blue car and I have seen dozens of others that came the same way but I only Judged a few speedsters so anything I guess is possible. I guess it is a 94 only thing and how many actually knew what Porsche was doing when I am not so sure Porsche knew? I guess they were coming to the end of the old way of producing these cars and whatever was done was done. In 94 about half of the cars came with the 993 style black door striker plates and the rest came with the gold cad plating. How was anyone to know what was correct and what wasn't? At Parade two and three years ago the judges didn't have a clue regarding preservation and the car that won in '15 wasn't even close to being accurate for preservation class. It is a purely subjective sport I guess.
Agree, I wish there was more consistency. I've seen them painted on white and both ways on silver, guess it was the nature of the day. I took the factory "tour" when I was there that year to pick up the RSR, it was they strangest assembly line I have ever seen. People walking over to boxes chock full of parts all lined up on racks, picking one out and walking back to the car to install, kind of in a casual way. The next time I went back in 2000 it was a little different to say the least, looked like a typical Japanese Kaizen assembly line. Hard to believe how much changed in a few short years.

Quick Reply: 1994 Porsche Speedster – Only 31 Miles