Sponsored by:

964 C4 Widebody: 4.0L project

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Rainmaker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 C4 Widebody: 4.0L project

Got the car 3 years ago. It's a 1990 C4 that the previous owner turned into a widebody. Intro post here:

Cliffs notes:
- Purchased the car December 2014 and immediately ordered goodies for it including Fuchs reps from Fikse (17 x 8.5 ET 49, 17 x 11 ET17), diamond quilted seats from Paul Champagne (he builds excellent interiors over at the 928 boards), and Porsche branded Momo Prototipos from FVD.
- On my third day with the car, engine died and couldn't get it to restart. It was my third day of owning an air cooled Porsche and didn't know much about it.
- Sent the car on a flatbed to the shop, apparently due to the battery support biting the dust and the disconnecting the battery.
- They also told me they didn't like the way the car sounded and they wanted to investigate further.
- Motor has long term oil starvation issues. Pics in the link above.
- Quote for rebuild was $$$ so I put the project on hold.

2 years and several cars later, I decided to look into having work done on the car again. I was initially considering a 3.0 RS backdate, I'm now leaning towards a cafe racer aesthetic of sorts. Will keep it a 964 widebody for now.

But first things first. I've decided to tackle the "go" before the "show" so job 1 is an engine rebuild. I initially was considering sending the car to Ruf for an RCT Evo 4 conversion but ultimately decided that €230k excluding shipping back and forth from the Philippines to Germany and back was a bit too rich for my blood. Maybe someday... I tried reaching out to Colin over at 9M via PM and email to do just the engine but I haven't heard back in 2 weeks. I figured he wasn't interested. A friend put me in touch with Paul Sullivan from IAP Racing and after several back and forths we agreed on 4.0 liter build using Rothsport ITBs with high butterflies. The proposed build also includes:

- Mahle 102mm bore P&Cs
- Pauter Chrome Moly rods
- RS camshafts
- RSR rocker arms and valve control set
- RSR Hydraulic Lifters
- Protomotive 4L stroker crank

I'm leaning towards putting in a ducktail or a whale tail and painting it in gulf colors without going full on gulf livery.

Motor will be shipped next week. Wish me luck!
Old 11-10-2017, 11:12 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Sorry to hear your initial impression of 964 ownership was not good. But sounds like you have a great plan. Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

in for more info on the motor build. looks like a great project.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Rainmaker
Advanced

How much HP and torque can the G64 tranny take? I'm afraid I'll have to address that next. If extensive work is needed on the G64, I'll probably spring for a 993 C4 tranny instead.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:32 AM
Rainmaker
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Sorry to hear your initial impression of 964 ownership was not good. But sounds like you have a great plan. Keep us posted on the progress.

Just a minor setback. Gave me an excuse to do a proper build. Probably saved me from an all show/no go RS backdate too

Last edited by Rainmaker; 11-10-2017 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-12-2017, 02:47 AM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

i'm in...nice
Old 11-25-2017, 10:44 AM
There's no Sub!
Advanced

It seams like you have the standard narrow body suspension, since you are using
11 inch tears that should be similar to RSR. 18x9 and 18x11 I believe.
or at least most the time.
do you all know if the factory widebody was narrow body suspension
I have heard it is much more nimble than the outside mounts that the turbo setup uses?
Old 11-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Rainmaker
Advanced

Yes, that's correct. Widebody on narrowbody suspension, similar to the 3.8 RS, I believe. IIRC, the factory Jubilee model uses a widebody suspension of the turbo.

I was considering putting on JRZ RS Pro 3 Tourings or Tractive DDAs but I've recently gotten in touch with EXE TC who are currently looking to offer single adjustables for the 964 by early next year. Might go with those instead.

Here are a few pics of the motor being inventoried and packed to be shipped out to IAP Racing next week:

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​
Old 12-06-2017, 09:32 PM
Rainmaker
Advanced

The motor is en route to IAP Racing. Build should start in earnest in a week or so.

I'll be postng build pics as I get them from IAP Racing.

Stay tuned!
Old 12-07-2017, 07:36 AM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck my friend. take me for a ride as soon as it's done.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:00 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainmaker
Got the car 3 years ago. It's a 1990 C4 that the previous owner turned into a widebody. Intro post here:

Cliffs notes:
- Purchased the car December 2014 and immediately ordered goodies for it including Fuchs reps from Fikse (17 x 8.5 ET 49, 17 x 11 ET17), diamond quilted seats from Paul Champagne (he builds excellent interiors over at the 928 boards), and Porsche branded Momo Prototipos from FVD.
- On my third day with the car, engine died and couldn't get it to restart. It was my third day of owning an air cooled Porsche and didn't know much about it.
- Sent the car on a flatbed to the shop, apparently due to the battery support biting the dust and the disconnecting the battery.
- They also told me they didn't like the way the car sounded and they wanted to investigate further.
- Motor has long term oil starvation issues. Pics in the link above.
- Quote for rebuild was $$$ so I put the project on hold.

2 years and several cars later, I decided to look into having work done on the car again. I was initially considering a 3.0 RS backdate, I'm now leaning towards a cafe racer aesthetic of sorts. Will keep it a 964 widebody for now.

But first things first. I've decided to tackle the "go" before the "show" so job 1 is an engine rebuild. I initially was considering sending the car to Ruf for an RCT Evo 4 conversion but ultimately decided that €230k excluding shipping back and forth from the Philippines to Germany and back was a bit too rich for my blood. Maybe someday... I tried reaching out to Colin over at 9M via PM and email to do just the engine but I haven't heard back in 2 weeks. I figured he wasn't interested. A friend put me in touch with Paul Sullivan from IAP Racing and after several back and forths we agreed on 4.0 liter build using Rothsport ITBs with high butterflies. The proposed build also includes:

- Mahle 102mm bore P&Cs
- Pauter Chrome Moly rods
- RS camshafts
- RSR rocker arms and valve control set
- RSR Hydraulic Lifters
- Protomotive 4L stroker crank

I'm leaning towards putting in a ducktail or a whale tail and painting it in gulf colors without going full on gulf livery.

Motor will be shipped next week. Wish me luck!
What oil pump?

3.6RS cams or 3.8RS?
What air cooled RSR used hydraulic lifters?

what valves/ heads/ports?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Rainmaker
Advanced

I'll have Paul Sullivan of IAP Racing chime in on that one...
Old 12-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All in!!! I love it! Good luck with the build. Can't wait to see the progress.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:10 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Talk about doing it right. Love the color combo. I would not change it as I prefer to fly under the radar..
Old 12-26-2017, 08:58 AM
964_BRG
1st Gear

Nice! Done something very similar 2 years ago. I did it in Germany and also had RUF as an alternative. Went with someone else which I cannot recommend! Wonder what the engine HP going to be. What are you aiming for?
BTW, nice seats - done the same ;-)

Quick Reply: 964 C4 Widebody: 4.0L project