Sponsored by:

Rear Tail Lights and Center Light ~ OEM

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I noted that my replacement corner lights (bought by the previous owner) don’t have the same seals as the originals. The seal is only at the front edge and doesn’t go all the way around. They were manufactured in Germany in 2015 from the looks of it and appear to be Porsche OE. Anyone know if the seals need to be purchased separately for the corner lights or if Porsche made a change to the part?

I figure this would be of value to others considering replacement.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

...double post
Old 11-21-2017, 01:42 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Take lights off car, remove bulbs and let them dry indoors (a hair dryer helps) , run a thin bead of clear silicone sealer around when lens meets the body (they are notorious for co0ming apart due to heat), Once that is done definitely do gus's film, it actually looks better than the new lenses, deeper red, it will cover the back up lights (which dont really help the driver anyhow)
Old 11-21-2017, 02:04 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by walbum
My lights have Gus's film which has held up quite well.
+1. Fairly remarkable stuff.

Originally, I'd steeled myself to it becoming dulled, scratched, or ? with age. But it's still near glossy as the day it was applied.
And, pragmatically, even if this film DOES somehow go ****-up on you, so what! You were looking for replacement rear lights to begin with -- so you're no worse off than you were to begin with. (I.e., NOTHING's ever taking away all that fading/crazing/cracking 964 rear light's 'patina'.)

And it does a number of nice things not readily obvious at first: 1) original underlying plastic crazing/cracks are now NOT obvious in passing -- hidden behind dark red, 2) provides strengthening binder to further hold broken/breaking plastic bits together, 3) is pleasingly darker in red hue vs. original (pleasing for me, at least.), 4) overlay material HAS turned out durable for the long run., 5) has NOT changed appearance/hue over the years.

ONE downside to it here in VA is it covers the backup lights, as well.
VA yearly state inspection rules are hinky re color-changing films over OE lights. Or, at least that's what Checkered Flag Porsche (VA Beach, VA) dinged me on three years ago. They said, "can't give you a sticker with that over your backups." So, I went home and CAREFULLY scribed the film around the reverse lights using utility blade and straight edge. The results came out (much!) better than anticipated -- nice and straight-edged. Those back-ups pop a bit now like Ruf rears as result. And my car got stickered, too!
Old 11-21-2017, 02:31 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I noted that my replacement corner lights (bought by the previous owner) don’t have the same seals as the originals. The seal is only at the front edge and doesn’t go all the way around. They were manufactured in Germany in 2015 from the looks of it and appear to be Porsche OE. Anyone know if the seals need to be purchased separately for the corner lights or if Porsche made a change to the part?

I figure this would be of value to others considering replacement.
The older design had a seal the newer one didnt. By newer ones that are 15 or so years old now.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:36 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedt0y
check pm
i still have mine brand new in the box , I haven’t had time to get them from the warehouse and take pictures , I will send them as soon as I get them and if I get late to the party is ok 👍🏼
Old 11-21-2017, 03:44 PM
TideRace
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Anybody have contact info for Gus, and/or pictures of rear lights with his film applied? I tried searching for username Gus to no avail.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:29 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TideRace
Anybody have contact info for Gus, and/or pictures of rear lights with his film applied? I tried searching for username Gus to no avail.

Enter Tail Light Film and Gus in your search. I found his thread and contact immediately.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:07 PM
Trapperbay
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can still order the gaskets that surround the entire rear corner light. I ordered mine from sunset last year.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:55 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

[QUOTE=dukmon;14618776]Ha......... seems any interest I'd raised from potential sellers was nabbed by other "pm sent'rs." Funny how that works ]

sorry by your original post I thought you wanted a new set I was thinking of a used set to smoke my apologies 😔
Old 11-21-2017, 08:01 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimq
The older design had a seal the newer one didnt. By newer ones that are 15 or so years old now.
Thanks Jim.

Originally Posted by Trapperbay
You can still order the gaskets that surround the entire rear corner light. I ordered mine from sunset last year.
Interesting, I know they do the same for the new center light as it doesn’t include the lower seal. I’ll have to give Suncoast a call and ask, I like the idea of having the seal surrounding the corner lights as it prevents any movement and also gives it a more finished look. Hopefully they aren’t ridiculously priced.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:19 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

[QUOTE=JohnK964;14620218]
Originally Posted by dukmon
Ha......... seems any interest I'd raised from potential sellers was nabbed by other "pm sent'rs." Funny how that works ]

sorry by your original post I thought you wanted a new set I was thinking of a used set to smoke my apologies 😔

No worries whatsoever.* I'm really enjoying your thread.

*wife says I'm a horrible communicator
Old 11-21-2017, 10:16 PM
Trapperbay
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this link.
https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/a...ion-lamps-scat

Quick Reply: Rear Tail Lights and Center Light ~ OEM