Rennline Strut Brace fitment problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 09:30 PM
andy73
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Rennline Strut Brace fitment problem

Hey Guys

Recently purchased a Rennline 2 Point strut tower brace for my 90 964. Was able to install it easily, however once installed with the carpet all positioned beneath it, i discovered that the bar applies considerable pressure against the fuel tank level control unit.

Has anyone else come across this? I would imagine a brace designed / sold for the 964 would have ample clearance to avoid this and I can't imagine it's good for the control unit. Any thoughts?

Cheers
Old 11-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Can you take a photo of the installed strut brace? Both a wide angle shot showing the whole brace and then a close up of the interference area?
Old 11-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

From your profile it appears you're in Australia. The Rennline brace is designed to fit LHD cars which have a different fuel tank configuration from RHD. You'll need to relocate the sender box. See this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...t-brace-4.html
Old 11-06-2017, 01:26 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by andy73
Hey Guys

Recently purchased a Rennline 2 Point strut tower brace for my 90 964. Was able to install it easily, however once installed with the carpet all positioned beneath it, i discovered that the bar applies considerable pressure against the fuel tank level control unit.

Has anyone else come across this? I would imagine a brace designed / sold for the 964 would have ample clearance to avoid this and I can't imagine it's good for the control unit. Any thoughts?

Cheers
Can you post a pic of the installation. I was about to order A rennline 2 for my RHD C4. Maybe not.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Here’s a pic of my RUF one on a RHD car.
Attached Images   
Old 11-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Richard H
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue with the brace fouling the sender. All I did to get the clearance was move the hose clip down to secure the unit around the hex/nut section.
Mine is a Designtek brace so don't know if the Rennline one has the same interference.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:07 AM
andy73
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 51 Posts

Excellent advice, thanks everyone. Yes well spotted - I'm in Australia and have a RHD car.
Without the carpet, the brace doesn't interfere with the control unit but, with only about 4mm between it and the carpet I'm concerned about it applying pressure. Richard H, has your tweak allowed for carpet to sit between the unit and the brace?
Old 11-07-2017, 04:02 PM
Richard H
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andy73
Excellent advice, thanks everyone. Yes well spotted - I'm in Australia and have a RHD car.
Without the carpet, the brace doesn't interfere with the control unit but, with only about 4mm between it and the carpet I'm concerned about it applying pressure. Richard H, has your tweak allowed for carpet to sit between the unit and the brace?
It looks like your brace is positioned differently to mine. Mine sat on top of the unit whereas yours look likes it sits infront. It doesn't look like moving the unit down as I did will help you. I also have the carpet over the brace not under as I didn't want to cut the carpet.
Apart from extending the wire to the plug and positioning the unit somewhere else I would look at seeing if you can mod the plastic bracket to allow it to be positioned closer in to the sender?

Quick Reply: Rennline Strut Brace fitment problem