Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat bypass vs. primary muffler bypass--which one do I want?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 11:16 PM
mbintx
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cat bypass vs. primary muffler bypass--which one do I want?

Looking to pick up some HP and improved sound. Seems the cat bypass tends to "advertise" more of a power gain, though others recommend the primary bypass instead. How does a chip affect results with either?
Would doing both add incremental power without things getting too loud?

Once this is figured out, I'll add a Steve Wong chip.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:38 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm currently running a cat bypass and a primary bypass. You could also do cat and secondary bypasses. I just received my new Steve Wong chip and have not installed.

I think his chip for the exhaust bypasses is the same regardless of if you are bypassing primary or secondary. Best to call Steve and tell him your intentions. You're in good hands...
Old 10-31-2017, 11:44 PM
mbintx
Instructor

I just need to listen to your car and mine side-to-side...
Old 11-01-2017, 12:29 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll have my chip in soon and some miles on this fresh motor, then we can switch cars.

R.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

the wong chip is biggest bang for the buck in porschedom.
BIG difference for little cost and easily reversible
i run cat and 2ndary bypass
Old 11-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Altex121
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I ran a race cat and primary bypass for a long time... always wanted it a little louder, so I threw a J pipe on as well

now the car sounds like a Harley. Would probably switch back if I drove the car more, but I like loud things. Still need a chip
Old 11-01-2017, 11:23 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ml#post9503302

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
These cars are rather sensitive to exhaust tuning and one can easily ruin factory performance.

Removing the cat, primary & secondary mufflers destroys low & mid-range performance without any return at high RPM. Its a large net loss.

Removing the secondary muffler and replacing it with a bypass aids low & mid-range power and just the ticket for cars with stock gear ratios.

Removing the primary muffler for the Cup pipe reduces low & mid-range and adds a little on top. Good choice for cars with close-ratio gears used at the track.

Removing the cat and replacing it with a "test pipe" gives a slight reduction in low end power and trades that for a nice boost in the mid-range and on top.

The most popular one we do for street cars is the seconday bypass and "test pipe". Together with a proper chip thats programmed for these changes, its a very noticeable improvement in power.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:35 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Keep in mind that your exhaust sound (not just noise level) will change depending on which muffler you bypass. I like the sound of bypassing the primary exhaust better... (truer flat six Porsche sound)

I originally had just a primary exhaust bypass (Cup pipe), and it's a great sound and nice weight savings. After years of just the primary bypass, I purchased a used Fabspeed Cat Bypass (no affil) from a Rennlister who was selling his car... WOW, that was the sound I was really looking for. Also, the cat bypass bolted on with no modifications or gaps, perfect fit. It all works great with my Wong chip (93, Primary and Cat pass program).

It a nice deep, heavy breathing mechanical sound. I also hear more valvetrain music since the cat bypass doesn't have a large shield on it like the stock cat does. Yes it's a notch or two louder than just the just a primary exhaust delete, but definitely not too loud. Just sounds very strong, even my non-car loving friends (99% of my friends) love the sound and give it thumbs up.

For the complete package, drill your airbox also.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:56 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Good feedback here ^

I was going to order a secondary bypass, primary bypass and cat delete/high flow cat and just mix it all around until I find the right setup.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:03 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I'll be doing custom tuning on mine, but I have a slightly massaged 3.6 (993 S cams, etc). Will run rothsport headers, into a 991 Turbo S muffler, dual in, dual out. No cats. But software will be custom tuned for this setup. Shop has done a few of these and it sounds tasty.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:21 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Cup pipe sound is more marque-correct. G-pipe sound is more hot rod.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:20 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Personally, I'd recommend going with the Primary Muffler Bypass, Catbypass Pipe and then pair those with a Steve Wong DME Chip.

We typically see ~16whp/14ft-lb gain with just the Catbypass alone, along with a deeper, more aggressive exhaust tone. The Primary Muffler Bypass and Catbypass Pipe gives you that true Porsche flat-6 sound

I agree that the DME Chip is your biggest bang-for-your-buck - you'll see more power/tq but the overall driveability improvements are night and day. Throttle response is greatly improved along with a smoother, more linear powerband. Steve will take into account what modifications you have along with fuel octane etc.

http://www.fabspeed.com/964-carrera-...r-bypass-pipe/

http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-964-...atbypass-pipe/

http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-964-...-chip-upgrade/

Please let me know if you have any questions - I'd be happy to set up fellow Rennlisters with forum pricing

- Alec

Old 11-01-2017, 04:51 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a cat delete, primary delete, stock secondary, aftermarket tip, and a Steve Wong 91octane chip in my Cabrio and I love it. Not too loud, definitely faster than stock. No complaints. Its easy enough to swap the stock cat back on if you ever have too and I have passed CA emissions with the SW chip and stock cat. Go for it!
Old 11-01-2017, 06:17 PM
toothfixer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have the cat bypass, primary muffler bypass and steve wong chip. Im very happy with the sound, it does get loud after a long drive but its manageable. I have read that bypassing the cat and both mufflers would be too loud for street duty
Old 11-01-2017, 06:26 PM
mbintx
Instructor

Thanks, all!

Quick Reply: Cat bypass vs. primary muffler bypass--which one do I want?