Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking down gas smell -- where does this expansion tank hose go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 10:17 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Tracking down gas smell -- where does this expansion tank hose go?

I'm trying to track down a slight gas smell in my '90 C2. I've checked the typical problem areas and it seems like the smell is coming from my shut-off valve (item 10, green arrow in first picture).

Before I replace it, I want to find out where the "connecting hose" (item 4, red arrows) goes to on the other (bottom) end. Does anyone know?

Thanks,

John
Attached Images   
Old 10-31-2017, 10:24 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Expansion tanks are typically connected to the engine's vacuum. Not sure if this is the car on our 964s.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:13 AM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same smell and traced it to same location. But it seemed to me the problem was that the hose (4) had shrunk and was pulling the valve (10) out of the gasket. I loosened the clamp and got some slack so I could seat the valve. No smell after that adjustment.

Would still like to know where hose goes in case it has to be replaced.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:45 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

I replaced the valve, and still have the gas smell. Will change out the fuel filler neck next - it has been revised umpteen times for reasons, I'd imagine.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:52 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I changed the filler neck on both of my cars. It fixed my gas smell. The swap only takes 15 minutes.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:51 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

If you only smell it after you've been driving the car I'd check the line on the right hand side front of the engine compartment that comes from under the car to the motor. It's solid up until the engine compartment and then it turns into rubber. It took me a long time to find that on mine and when we finally checked that it burst when we grabbed it.

My shop informs me since mine they've found 5 other cars with the exact same issue.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:06 PM
Mac Tuck
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having the same issue with my 964 after it has been sitting for a few days. Could that line vent fumes out the underside of the car? Wondering if it could be clogged?
Old 11-01-2017, 10:21 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 491 Likes on 364 Posts

:
I also detected the smell of gas from under the frunk. Porsches are meant to smell like leather and gas, but this was a bit over the top. A quick examination under the frunk revealed that the vent line shut off valve had snapped off and was venting freely. Add that to the list of many items missed on my PPI.

A little Oatey's plastic cement seemed to do the trick. No more smell of gas.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:21 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ramans
If you only smell it after you've been driving the car I'd check the line on the right hand side front of the engine compartment that comes from under the car to the motor. It's solid up until the engine compartment and then it turns into rubber. It took me a long time to find that on mine and when we finally checked that it burst when we grabbed it.

My shop informs me since mine they've found 5 other cars with the exact same issue.
That's most likely a different issue, but nonetheless, a very important one. My guys at Mayo Performance had that same issue on a hot rodded 964 the other day. They have seen it before on other cars.

Here is the hose I believe you are describing:

You can see the new fuel injection hose clamps on my car from a previous replacement of that hose. It is originally crimped on the hard line.

I replaced that hose again while I had the engine out, this time using Cohline 2240 hose. Be careful that the new hose clamps are not chaffing any of the neighboring lines.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:33 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
:
I also detected the smell of gas from under the frunk. Porsches are meant to smell like leather and gas, but this was a bit over the top. A quick examination under the frunk revealed that the vent line shut off valve had snapped off and was venting freely. Add that to the list of many items missed on my PPI.

A little Oatey's plastic cement seemed to do the trick. No more smell of gas.

Looks like that part (#10 referenced above) is 964-201-175-01. It looks like someone tried to fix that once before, and it failed. At $28, I think I'd replace it.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:31 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 491 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Super90
Looks like that part (#10 referenced above) is 964-201-175-01. It looks like someone tried to fix that once before, and it failed. At $28, I think I'd replace it.
Yes Sir, that part will be included in my next order with Sunset.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:26 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Super90
Originally Posted by Foxman
Yes Sir, that part will be included in my next order with Sunset.
For what it’s worth, that part number is outdated. The new one is 964-201-175-03. I learned that when I ordered the old one and found out it was superseded.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:31 AM
AKB991
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

I borrowed this pic from Pelican , hope that's ok. I believe this is the roll over shut off valve - can anyone confirm - on my car, I can move this valve just a bit. It wiggles to light pressure, I can't take it out but it does move a few mm's to each side. I would assume this is not the way it is supposed to be? Does anyone know how I can "tigthen" it? I already have a new fuel neck on its way ( I have the old version and assumed this is the issue ) but as I read on, perhaps this valve is the problem.
I am not up for moving the gas tank so if it's complex, to the shop she goes. Thank you.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:02 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AKB991
I borrowed this pic from Pelican , hope that's ok. I believe this is the roll over shut off valve - can anyone confirm - on my car, I can move this valve just a bit. It wiggles to light pressure, I can't take it out but it does move a few mm's to each side. I would assume this is not the way it is supposed to be? Does anyone know how I can "tigthen" it? I already have a new fuel neck on its way ( I have the old version and assumed this is the issue ) but as I read on, perhaps this valve is the problem.
I am not up for moving the gas tank so if it's complex, to the shop she goes. Thank you.
It's fine if it wiggles a bit, being loose in that sense doesn't hurt anything since it's just pressure-fit into the grommet and notch on the upper tank. It can be pulled up to access the hose on the bottom if you want to swap it.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:06 PM
AKB991
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks Deserion. I can pull up on that valve and it will rise about 1/4" which was surprising since everything else is so damn bolted down. Glad to know a bit of wiggle is ok and I assume, not the cause of smell of fumes in the frunk and cabin. I just replaced the filler neck ( it took my longer than 15 min !) and I hope this helps. I believe the HVAC fans pull air from the frunk and send it into the cabin. I think the fumes are originating in the frunk and HVAC fans are bringing it into cabin. The fan on my 91 C4 is always "on". Even when fan speed is set to "0", it always runs just a bit. That's another topic altogether as I know many fans shut completely off but some stay on just a bit all the time, like mine. I think its contributing to fumes in cabin. Anyone experience this too?

Quick Reply: Tracking down gas smell -- where does this expansion tank hose go?