Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking down gas smell -- where does this expansion tank hose go?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 07:54 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

There is no fresh air pulled in from the frunk. The top side of the dash is open to the frunk, but it’s pretty well sealed unless you pull a gauge out to open up that cavity. If you’re getting a smell inside the cabin, then I would check all of the fuel hoses from the tunnel back to the engine. Fresh air is pulled into the hvac from the engine bay if you select any temperature other than the blue dot.

I discovered recently a leak on short fuel return hose that attaches to the bottom of the tank. I had replaced the original “while I was in there” a while ago and Porsche’s replacement hose isn’t made of the same hose material. The original is a semi hard plastic sheathed in rubber. The replacement is rubber throughout, and about 1” longer. The hose clamp just doesn’t seal the new hose on to the tank. Glad I tossed my old hose in my bin and didn’t throw it out. I put it back in and no more leak.

For the hose on top of the tank. It leads from the bottom of the rollover valve, through a channel in the back of the plastic tank, and out into the cavity where the fuel pump is. From there, it is the small diameter hard plastic line that leads back to the evaporative canister system in the left rear wheel well.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:46 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

So, I am at a bit of a loss. My gas smell is definitely coming from the front trunk area. It is not coming from underneath the car nor from the engine compartment. I replaced the filler neck and the gasket around the gas cap. Last night, I removed the expansion tank and the hoses connecting to it and have sealed up the elbows coming up from the gas tank. The smell continues to be as bad as before. I guess I should check underneath the gas tank to see if something is loose down there, correct?

Just in case these pictures are useful to somebody else, here are the various parts connected to the expansion tank.
Attached Images     
Old 12-06-2017, 07:22 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
I guess I should check underneath the gas tank to see if something is loose down there, correct?
What about pressurizing the tank really low, to like 5PSI while clamping the overflow valve? Then you could spritz all the connections with soapy water and it should bubble where the leak is located? And if there is an obvious reason not to try this, please do not hesitate to point it out.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:37 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Check fuel pump connections.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:57 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Not to hijack this thread but my problem is in the middle ground of yours.

I only get a smell when the tank is full. At half or lower, there is no smell in the cabin. Trunk always smells like slight gas. The gas cap gasket, fuel level gasket and fuel shut off valve have been replaced. All lines have been checked and tightened. The only thing left I can think of is the fuel filler piece but not sure I want to spend that $$ right now.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:06 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Greek
Not to hijack this thread but my problem is in the middle ground of yours.

I only get a smell when the tank is full. At half or lower, there is no smell in the cabin. Trunk always smells like slight gas. The gas cap gasket, fuel level gasket and fuel shut off valve have been replaced. All lines have been checked and tightened. The only thing left I can think of is the fuel filler piece but not sure I want to spend that $$ right now.
PM me your address. I'll mail you my old filler neck. It looked completely fine to me. No cracks.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:07 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 540964
Check fuel pump connections.
I can access that from under the car, correct? I remember reading there is a hatch or something underneath.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:52 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Just in front of the passenger compartment and behind the black cover.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:58 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Took the bottom cover off to check the fuel pump area and did not see any leaks or evidence of leaks. Definitely a puff of gas smell when I took off the cover but I would expect that as that area is the lowest part of the frunk and gas vapors seem to settle to the bottom.

Could someone check their fuel level sender to see if the gasket underneath the white plastic is supposed to be visible? I cannot see or feel any gasket under mine but maybe it is seated further down.

Thanks!
Attached Images   
Old 12-10-2017, 11:21 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

I just changed that seal out the other day. It is not visible from the outside.

There is space where the gasket seals into the tank. Unscrew it and you’ll see.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:59 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

So, question for you guys who have been in here before...

Do you have this yellowish stuff that feels like cosmoline? Or is this left over varnish from gas leaking and then evaporating?

I cannot see any leaks though.
Attached Images   
Old 12-16-2017, 08:34 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

The yellow stuff is cosmoline.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:46 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
The yellow stuff is cosmoline.
Thanks, figured as much. I guess I'm putting the car to bed for the winter without fixing the gas smell.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:34 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

i notice you said front trunk smelt worst but there is also the fuel breather canister in the left rear wheel arch behind the wheel arch cover .. it is connected to the pipe in the left rear of the engine bay (next to all the loom plugs for crank pos sensor etc..) and then back to the tank breather I think .. that canister been checked?

Also if the overflow pipe for the fuel filler open and running well? ie not blocked?
Old 12-21-2017, 11:16 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HiWind
i notice you said front trunk smelt worst but there is also the fuel breather canister in the left rear wheel arch behind the wheel arch cover .. it is connected to the pipe in the left rear of the engine bay (next to all the loom plugs for crank pos sensor etc..) and then back to the tank breather I think .. that canister been checked?

Also if the overflow pipe for the fuel filler open and running well? ie not blocked?
I did not smell any gas around or under the engine bay but I guess any leaks here would dissipate quickly. I'll check those areas this winter.

The overflow pipe drains back to the tank, right? I just replaced the fuel filler and also removed and inspected all of the rubber hoses on top of the tank and connected to the filler. Didn't see any issues.

Quick Reply: Tracking down gas smell -- where does this expansion tank hose go?