Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to tighten up steering and shifter. Suggestions?

Old 11-12-2017, 08:50 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

The brace works best on 92and later. There was a running change to the steering rack banjo bolt locations. Had same issue with mine. I had shop fabricate something that works since I’m weak and old and don’t want to remove my power steering and car has a near new rack so no point replacing with later one....
Old 11-13-2017, 01:42 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Here are some photos of where the hydraulic lines touch the brace: 1 line touches along the flat side of the brace (1st picture) The other line touches the edge of the brace (2nd picture)

The stock bushes were cut, and used to separate the lines that are touching the brace. Still undecided if i will leave the brace on.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:51 AM
freno a mano
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've a '90 C2 and I've not installed the brace for the same reason.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:59 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I have a '90 C2 and that's why I had the shop install the brace. I'm sure they had the "massage" the lines to make it fit, but that's no problem for them. Love the upgrade.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:11 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

It’s a bigger issue on mine due to the 993master and booster.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:38 PM
palmxp3
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
The ff transmission mount is largely useless. You will feel a very very marginal difference, but you will also feel, in terms of the ratio for what you get in performance, relative to the increase in nvh, you get a lot of added noise.

Not that i didn’t like mine- i did. Just sayin, if that part is something that is going to cost you money to install, wait until the trans or trans mount is out for some other reason, clutch, etc, and toss it in then.

I took mine out when looking to track down a noise. So I’ve had it back to back a few times now. I like it. But i wouldn’t spend money to install one. Just throwing that out there to save you a few pennies.

This has been a good thread. There has been a lot of good advice and a lot of pointing to other good advice.

Those tarret inners are going to be great. Don’t put off sport bushings up front. They make an enormous difference. Tightening up our cars was a lot of fun, and hugely transformative.

I think I’m going to make a new dbfd t shirt “stay corrected my friends”....lol
Which hardness are you running? I ordered the 60A and was hoping it wouldn't add too much NVH. Also, their instructions state that these can be installed in an hour and I was planning to do them at the same time as the Rothsport shifter.

Something I haven't seen mentioned are strut braces and sway bars. Are they difference makers on our cars on the street? If so, which ones are recommended?
Old 11-16-2017, 09:08 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

^^^^^^^^
I'll let G answer your question... about feel/value, but definitely don't go over 60A, I can definitely see having NVH issues with anything over 60A on a street car. I think FF started with just 70A and 80A, but customer feedback requested something softer, so a 60A option was offered. That's when I felt comfortable taking a chance with this mod.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:54 PM
palmxp3
Advanced

Yeah I'm interested to know which hardness Goughary went with as well. I know these are subjective and every car may react differently to mods as well. But speaking of these mounts, my 60A just arrived today and it definitely feels soft compared to other polyurethane bushings that I've had experience with before.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:04 PM
k9doog
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is how I did mine in 1990 C2, rotated 180
Attached Images    
Old 01-16-2018, 05:00 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Old 01-16-2018, 09:22 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I just had the Rothsport bushings installed on the rack mounts but I opted not to do the brace. The bushings that came off of my car still look new for reference but the rack was leaking so I won’t have a good baseline comparison to offer. The only thing I will add to this thread is that the Rothsport bushings require much more effort to install than stock bushings, they don’t wrap all the way around and need to be compressed into place. I didn’t have the brace installed as I didn’t want to mess with the steering rack lines which would be necessary according to the guys at Rothsport.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:14 PM
palmxp3
Advanced

Been awhile since I've updated this thread. Car started to develop a slow drip at the oil drain bolt and after further inspection, most of the rubber hoses going to the tank are dried out. So car is currently on stands getting 8 new hoses from Porsche put in (while you are in there, right?) Sure were expensive for some rubber bits but I trust in genuine parts as they've lasted 25 years and should be good for another 25 now. Anyway, that project is for an entirely different thread.

My plans were to install these parts in steps to see exactly how each item affected the car. I actually decided to purchase both the OEM RS mounts along with all the hardware to compare with the Wevo blacks that I already have. Drove on the RS mounts for 250 miles before installing the Wevo's. Only put 50 miles on the Wevo's before I developed the oil leak. Initial impressions are that the Wevo's are maybe 5-10% stiffer only and it is hardly noticeable. I think I'm going to keep the Wevo's for 2 main reasons: 1. They are already on the car. 2. I feel more comfortable jacking up the car via the engine case with these mounts. Bottom line is either kit is a huge upgrade over tired old mounts. I could not believe how they transformed the car and I felt it immediately just pulling out of the driveway. Better throttle response, improved shifter feel, chassis and rear feels like a solid piece now. There was only a very slight increase in vibration which isn't obtrusive at all - nothing to be concerned about even for a daily.

BTW, if you are looking for practically brand new RS mounts with all the hardware, PM me. I'll take some pictures of them and post it in the for sale thread too.

Since the car is on stands now, I am doing the full Rothsport shifter, FD forward rod, FD golden rod, and also the Rothsport steering brace and bushings. My car is a 93 C2 and I was led to believe the brace goes on easily for the 92+ without the need to massage the power steering lines? I can't see any way this is possible without moving 2 of the lines up and not too sure I feel comfortable doing that to hard lines. Suggestions?

Old 06-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

All these other mods are good. Beyond these items though, good tires and a good alignment do wonders. If you've got crappy all season tires, all the bushing upgrades and braces in the world wont make the car feel like its on rails...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want to tighten up steering and shifter. Suggestions?