Sponsored by:

Way OT, '13 Gran Sport Corvette with cracked block

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:31 PM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Way OT, '13 Gran Sport Corvette with cracked block

A friend with a 2013 Corvette Gran Sport took the car to a local tire/oil change shop. They did the oil change and backed the car out, heard a bang pulled it back in, and oil everywhere. Had it towed to the nearest Chevy dealer who told my friend it had a cracked block, and "not a warranty issue, it was over filled with oil". That car has a dry sump system.

I don't know if he's going to file a claim with Chevrolet customer care (which was my advice), as the car was purchased new, and still under powertrain warranty.

Huge mistake taking it where he did, for an oil change. You don't take a $50k car to tire shop Goober.

Still doesn't sound right to me. I've done some searching, and have yet to find anyone else with this same problem.

Anyone here know anything about this car?
Old 10-09-2017, 08:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Overfill is the shops fault, very unlikely that Chevy will take responsibilty but I would want to know exactly how the Chevy dealer established that it was caused by overfilling.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:18 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If they can establish the cause was an overfill then it’s the ship threat performed the works issue. That’s why they have business insurance
Old 10-17-2017, 08:33 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

he's probably going to have to name both in a lawsuit, and let the judge figure it out. If he goes after just one, they will point the finger at the other and he'll get nowhere fast. Since the oil ended up all over the floor, the onus is on Chevy to prove it was in fact overfilled and therefore not their problem. Good luck to your friend.

Here is a similar story and explanation of what the high oil pressure does.....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ed-advice.html
Old 10-18-2017, 02:12 PM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the reply Laker. I think he's embarrassed about taking the car to someone he shouldn't and might just take his (big) lumps. A crate LS3 engine is a whole lot cheaper than a crate 964 engine(if you can even get one).
Old 10-19-2017, 12:00 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

when I went to a class once they told us about this happening at quick lube place's. they drain the engine not knowing it has a tank on the side with oil and the tell the guy it's was low on oil not much came out than they fill the crankcase up and hydro lock the motor.

Quick Reply: Way OT, '13 Gran Sport Corvette with cracked block