Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'90 C2 with 45k -- replace suspension bushings due to age?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 02:31 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
I'm doing a suspension refresh/update on my '90 C2. Just got it a few weeks ago. Pretty pleased with how it runs but am planning to do the following:

1. Bilstein B6 HD with H&R Sport springs (already have these in hand, not installed yet)
  2. Rennline Front Adjustable Camber Plate with Monoballs (seems to be the same as what Singer is using)
  3. Rennline Rear Monoball Strut Mounts
  4. Rennline Front Strut Brace

I was thinking of also replacing the front control arm bushings, rear trailing arm bushings and spring plate bushings. But I started thinking about the mileage of the car, which is pretty low.

Do you think these three sets of bushings would be worn out due to age (27 years, at this point)?

My goal is a firm but compliant ride. Street only.
If you find that your front control arm bushings are shot and would like to have the arms rebuilt, send a PM to me. I've rebuilt a few dozen sets of 993/964 arms over the last ten years.

I can either rebuild your arms, or do a core exchange and will work with Walrod, Porsche & Elephant bushings.

Andreas
Old 10-03-2017, 05:31 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

OK, thanks Andreas. That's good to know and you're not too far from me.

After a couple days with the WEVOs (black), I can say that there is a little bit more noise. It's almost like my primary exhaust is a tad bit (maybe 5%) more "growlier". I guess that is a bit more resonance creating the sound. In no way is there any additional harshness. To the contrary, it seems that there is a slight improvement in ride, felt as a reduction in harshness from the rear suspension. Maybe since my engine mounts were shot, there was some engine movement being translated to the body when riding over sharp bumps.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:23 PM
2000m2
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
The C2 I just acquired has the original shocks but is lowered on H&R springs (green, which was the old Sport, I believe). What Anthony describes (shot shocks become stiff) is exactly what I'm feeling, I think.

So, instead of going all out with the bushings, etc., I'm going to just replace the shocks/springs and strut mounts first to see what the difference is like. Assuming the bushings look ok when I get in there.

Then I can have a baseline to compare against old/stock and eventually the new bushings, too.

I'll report back in a week or so...
Did you end up replacing the shocks/springs and strut mounts?
Old 11-24-2017, 02:37 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

I just had the front control arm bushings and rear trailing arm bushings on my 33k mile c2 swapped to elephant racing bushings. The shop said the oem bushings were still in good condition with no visible cracking. Car drives much tighter with the new bushings.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:52 PM
2000m2
Racer

Originally Posted by boostedt0y
I just had the front control arm bushings and rear trailing arm bushings on my 33k mile c2 swapped to elephant racing bushings. The shop said the oem bushings were still in good condition with no visible cracking. Car drives much tighter with the new bushings.
Did you go with the sport-hardness?
Old 11-24-2017, 10:45 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000m2
Did you go with the sport-hardness?
yes sport hardness
Old 11-26-2017, 10:52 AM
Porschenut_Lee
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the OP already made his decision, but for the benefit of anyone else reading, when I did my front suspension refresh last spring my car had roughly 75k miles on it. Everything was fine. Bushings were good, tie rods, drop links, ball joints were all tight, but since I was pulling shocks and struts and altering the geometry I wanted to do everything all at once. I also wanted to upgrade to Elephant sport hardness bushings. I can say that even though I probably spent more money than I needed, the result was well worth it for a casual driver. The car absolutely livened up with regard to control and feedback. I did a bunch of other stuff too, but my suggestion is that if you can afford it, you will never regret going all the way.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:32 PM
2000m2
Racer

Originally Posted by Porschenut_Lee
I know the OP already made his decision, but for the benefit of anyone else reading, when I did my front suspension refresh last spring my car had roughly 75k miles on it. Everything was fine. Bushings were good, tie rods, drop links, ball joints were all tight, but since I was pulling shocks and struts and altering the geometry I wanted to do everything all at once. I also wanted to upgrade to Elephant sport hardness bushings. I can say that even though I probably spent more money than I needed, the result was well worth it for a casual driver. The car absolutely livened up with regard to control and feedback. I did a bunch of other stuff too, but my suggestion is that if you can afford it, you will never regret going all the way.
in addition to the Elephant racing bushings, what were the other components you used?
Old 03-02-2018, 07:50 PM
2000m2
Racer

For anyone interested, I just refreshed my suspension, '90 C4. All new bushings (Elephant Racing sport hardness), Bilstein B6's, OEM top mounts, tie rods, drop links. I kept the original ride height due to my absurdly steep & narrow driveway. Car feels great - tight, yet smoother!

My neighbor is routinely dropping engines from Ferrari's and doing work on 911s so I approached him about this project. It seems like every other weekend there is a Ferrari with an engine out in his garage. I helped and mostly tried not to get in the way. As a DIY, it is a crazy amount of work (in my opinion). Luckily he has every tool under the sun, including a lift & press, and we used just about all of them. At over 117k miles, everything looked original to me, so that probably made things a little more challenging. Agree with the sentiments above, I probably spent more than could be justified, but I've put a few hundred miles on it since, mostly mountain roads, and I'm really happy with it.

Quick Reply: '90 C2 with 45k -- replace suspension bushings due to age?