Painting mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 10:25 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painting mirrors

Considering Aero mirrors to replace my ageing flags! Any advice pertaining to either spraying them myself or anticipated cost at bodyshop?

Cheers,

--Howard
Old 12-09-2003, 09:09 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I was quoted $100 USD per mirror.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:13 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You may want to consider having the doors blown over too as they footprint of the Aero's is different to the Flags. On my list of things to get done!
Old 12-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good point Andy, I hadn't thought of that. Is the difference that noticable on your paintwork?

Thanks,

--Howard
Old 12-09-2003, 01:38 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Howard,

I've not changed my mirrors yet! Perhaps someone will chime in who's had it done. It may also depend on which colour etc.

Andy
Old 12-09-2003, 04:40 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Howard,
I painted and installed my aero mirrors. I bought them from Vertex and they come primed in grey. I used two part LIMCO paint mixed to the color of my car - grand prix white. After a couple of practice sprays, I managed to put down a decent coat, let it tack off, then a gloss coat. Left the pair alone for a few days, then hit them with wet/dry sandpaper #600 then #1000 grit, if I recall correctly, then compound and wax. They looked great if I say so myself. The patch left by the old mirror footprint was no problem, alittle rubbing compound made it all disappear.
Having said all that though, I would give it some serious thought on any car that's not white. It takes some skill in prep. work and painting to get a blemish free finish on a colored car. Start by getting a qoute from a local paint shop, and start practicing on your wifes car. If the finish is not acceptable, you'll have a backp plan. Oh, and apologize to your wife.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mojo...you don't know my wife!!! :-)

I think it sounds like a job better left to the pro's for $100-200 - I'll call around for a quote!

Cheers,

--H
Old 12-09-2003, 06:40 PM
C4TT
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

How about the actual install bit... How tough is that?
Old 12-09-2003, 07:45 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Install is fairly straightforward...between some others and I, we have a comprehensible schematic to share that shows what wires to hookup to where as the 964 has 5 wires and the 993 mirrors (factory) have six.

OR is the the other way around?? ...I forget.

One tip when painting, REMOVE the glass!! Then you can get the color back inside the housing more. Remove the glass via the access hole on the bottom of the main housing.

Using a small flat-tip screwdriver, move the black plastic dial over to the right or left to release glass, depending on which side you're working on.

Easy off, easy on.

As for the footprint of the flag-style mirrors - it was quite prominent on my car, but rubbed it out a little bit...didn't look too bad.

Since then I've gotten a FULL repaint - not by choice!

My opinion?? ...don't respray the door just to get rid of the old footprint, it's not worth it.

Quick Reply: Painting mirrors