Sponsored by:

Detonation

Old 09-25-2017, 04:00 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Detonation

No, not Korea.

Has anyone experienced detonation with no loss of power? Going up a hill or loafing around town the car detonates, a firm blast of throttle eliminates that but there is definitely a pinging, yet the car pulls hard, doesn't fall on its face.

We have pretty suspect gas here in SoCal, I try and get it from the same place but you never know. I am all stock, no chip, plugs and wires are good.

The car is looked after by NARW, an excellent Indie here in LA and they have tried everything; just wondering if anyone here has been through this before and can advise.

Many thanks in advance
Old 09-26-2017, 02:29 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we'd need a list of what was already tried before offering a suggestion where to look.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:37 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Have you checked your distributor belt? I had pinging when my belt failed. The engine ran ok under light loads but pinged under heavy load. Remove the secondary distributor cap and see of the rotor turns with your hand. It shouldn't.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:26 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^^^^+964
A broken distributor belt could certainly cause your detonation symptoms.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:23 PM
deadendd9009
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HalV
^^^^^^+964
A broken distributor belt could certainly cause your detonation symptoms.
and can seriously damage your engine. I'd have it checked ASAP!
Old 09-26-2017, 09:42 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Excellent advice here.

Its also possible that you may have inadvertently gotten 80 or 89 octane fuel and that happens more than you think when the delivery drivers puts the wrong product into the wrong underground tank. The only way you'll know is to have the gas in your tank tested by a professional laboratory.

Let me add that you should NOT drive the car until this is resolved, otherwise you could spend a LOT of money.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:46 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Thanks all, distributor belt is fine. Indie wrench thinks I am nuts, detonation comes with fall off in power which is not the case, power is awesome as usual.

Steve is right though, here in LA octane is a crapshoot, you never know what you are really pumping. Steve, do you think the gas tank in the car could be bad? Sucking up crap from the tank?
Old 09-26-2017, 11:59 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

How about its not detonation at all but something like your fan hitting the housing?
Old 09-27-2017, 01:53 AM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be carbon build up or defective knock sensor.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:42 AM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fuel pressure regulator diaphragm to make sure it is not torn, allowing fuel to be drawn into the vacuume reservoir.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
Thanks all, distributor belt is fine. Indie wrench thinks I am nuts, detonation comes with fall off in power which is not the case, power is awesome as usual.

Steve is right though, here in LA octane is a crapshoot, you never know what you are really pumping. Steve, do you think the gas tank in the car could be bad? Sucking up crap from the tank?
The ECU will always attempt to maximize performance unless something is drastically wrong and sends the car into 'limp mode'.

Assuming you don't have a bad chip in your car's ECU, I would followup with some troubleshooting. Old plug wires for example, can cause similar issues.

I've seen enough misfueling occurrences not to ever discount that.

I think if there was sufficient debris in the tank to cause detonation due to fuel starvation, you'd experience some major driveability issues as well. I would suggest you remove the fuel filter and cut it open to see what you have. I would also replace the tank filter if you suspect contamination.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:55 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dlpalumbo
How about its not detonation at all but something like your fan hitting the housing?
Changed the fan and housing last month, that wasn't it. Expensive too.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:57 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
The ECU will always attempt to maximize performance unless something is drastically wrong and sends the car into 'limp mode'.

Assuming you don't have a bad chip in your car's ECU, I would followup with some troubleshooting. Old plug wires for example, can cause similar issues.

I've seen enough misfueling occurrences not to ever discount that.

I think if there was sufficient debris in the tank to cause detonation due to fuel starvation, you'd experience some major driveability issues as well. I would suggest you remove the fuel filter and cut it open to see what you have. I would also replace the tank filter if you suspect contamination.
ECU is only a couple of years old, swapped it out for the SW chip that was in the car, it was never happy on 91.5 gas.
Car goes in next week, I will try the fuel filters as you suggest.
Thank you very much for your advice.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:01 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Take a look at this thread here.

Distributor can be off by 1 tooth and still run (supposedly), however under some conditions spark may jump from rotor to wrong post firing the wrong plug.

I looked at advance curve in Adrian's book. Low load dials in lowest advance (in most cases). Plus knock sensors can put 9 degrees of retard into timing. So if your sensors are working and dissies are aligned correctly, hard to blame timing.

Other causes of detonation is too lean a burn. The plugs get too hot. If Air Flow Meter is reporting low airflow, fuel mixture will be leaned out. Same goes for high temp. But DME can still retard timing to compensate. Maybe not enough. Many times the low range on AFM get worn.

One last WAG is wrong temp plugs, or plugs have gotten fouled and have hot spots. In early days of of lean burn engines, I would put a colder range of plugs in the car to inhibit pinging.

One last thing you can try is running one set of spark plugs by disconnecting igniter. You can then swap coil/igniter pair to see if that changes things.

good luck,

Dan
Old 09-27-2017, 05:46 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Great info all, many thanks, I am printing and taking to Indie next week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Detonation