Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Cost of backdating a 964 (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/1026732-cost-of-backdating-a-964-a.html)

objectdye 09-24-2017 09:38 PM

Cost of backdating a 964

I was browsing the net and noted those modified 964s. Two types of projects caught my attention. There is a RWB wife boy type and also individuals who take on backdating their 964s.

RWB pricing is very transparent as it's on their webpage. Has anyone done a backdating project and would like to share how much their spend?

Spyerx 09-24-2017 09:45 PM

Donor Chassis plus at least 100k. Depending on what you want to do to the chassis and motor.

Jordan Pryce 09-24-2017 11:51 PM

The true cost is another 964 that will never be original again. :)

mooty 09-24-2017 11:53 PM

that's a wide open question.
a singer at 700k can kind of considered to be backdate...
or you can do one at 150k

Bloose993TT 09-24-2017 11:57 PM

Backdating 2 what? Heard backdating the 964 to middie is way cheaper than the aforementioned.

tjb616 09-25-2017 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jordan Pryce (Post 14495957)

There is nothing you can do to backdate a car that isn't reversible short of totaling it.

You could slap some Getty glass bumpers, a longhood with the adaptable lock for the newer chassis, and fill the clip mount in the side skirts. Buy some lights and send the thing to paint and call it a backdate for 10k. You could also commission a Singer build for closer to 7 figures. As others have said, it's a loaded question.

A914MAN 09-25-2017 12:30 AM

It's your car and your money so do what makes you happy.

But for all the hassles, why don't you just buy the year car you want? A $120k early 911 will probably continue to appreciate. That said, if you want to throw a bunch of money at a car that will only appeal to a handful of people, with a pennies on the dollar ROI, they go ahead. Let's not forget months of no 964 to drive.

At the end of the day all you really do is make all the other 964's fractionally more valuable.

I got mine to drive, with the hope of turning a wrench on it as little as possible. Mine could really use a respray, but then again I don't cry over a rock chip. Give me the miles of smiles over a project car any day.

jimq 09-26-2017 02:07 PM

Waste of a car and money.

mooty 09-27-2017 12:36 AM

^ lmao, tell us what you really feel...
but i do agree.

911Jetta 09-27-2017 09:31 AM

Make it your own! Whether that means 100% stock, or RS want-to-be, or outlaw, or track rat, or backdated.

That said, if you don't have much experience with these cars then just get out and drive first. Drive, drive, drive. Then you will know your next steps.

tgil 09-27-2017 02:09 PM

As many know the 964 is one of the lowest production aircooled 911 Models, and with Singer using them, an original ( or partial original) is getting pretty rare.
If you do decide to do it, you might want to consider NOT doing a long hood or flares since those items will not really be reversible just in case you or another owner would change their mind in future.

Good luck with your decision.

PurpleEnemy 09-27-2017 11:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jordan Pryce (Post 14495957)

Jordan... Nail on head! I read the post and my first thought was a reply that simply said 'The unfortunate 964!'.
I know taste is a very personal thing, and my own may not be shared with other, but I would never even consider messing with the Benjamin Dimson design - it resulted in a modern classic and the last 911 to retain the original outline and upright headlights.
To me it was a masterstroke bridging modernity with Butzi's vision.
As just 13,353 Coupes were produced and, sadly, many have already been lost due to attrition, collisions or accidents.
More recently, I suspect that many survivors must have thought they'd passed the test of time and finally arrived as they finally found favour for the attributes and were overjoyed to be in the spotlight and undervalued no longer... but...I doubt anyone knows how many of them were to be stunned and devastated when dragged into a shop and put under the Back-dater or plastic surgeon's scalpel...
I understand 'backdating' if it is based on the superior technological benefits of the 964 to someone who cannot appreciate the clever styling the 964 celebrates and sees the skin-deep beauty of a pre impact car as either worth trying to emulate or the goal of said work being their ultimate personal package. The trouble is so many appear right from afar, but as you get closer prove to be far from right.
When it comes to body enhancements, I celebrate things as the were originally produced. I also like looking at things that have had a boost here and there to be a bit more racy than when they were produced whilst still looking like they could have been originally like they have become.
But sadly in our world, so just can't help going way too far and overdoing thing when it comes to body mods. And although we all know the people who find they have to follow this route will have more often than not think they have found happiness. Their friends will probably assure them the results look amazing, maybe stunning. I am not a friend of objectdye who wrote the post I am replying to, and I see no point in stooping so low as as to slate the work of a person I do not know and many applaud, but I shall be diplomatic in saying when some see three letters it equates them saying 'wow' but myself saying Ow!.
I know it is a Freudian slip, a simple typographical error, but I thought it was too good not to highlight... objectdye, was 'wife boy type' intentional? Or did you mean to say 'wife body type'. Whatever the story is, I thank you, as from today onwards, I shall be happy in employing the term.

Anyway, don't let my thoughts change you views. I am not a style guru, just someone who appreciates it.

HDA 09-28-2017 12:43 AM

Wife boy type is Fantastic.

since you asked for the price and not opinion, I think it would be somewhere around 100k depending on what do you mean with backdating (also interior?).

I think it would cost you less if you were to buy something on eBay from someone who did it and got tired by the car not being meat nor fish / saw the social media hype declining.. There is currently a backdated slate grey for sale.

as you can tell, I wouldn't do it.

emissary 09-28-2017 08:07 PM

There are plenty of 964s available. If you prefer the look of a long hood and want to backdate yours, go for it.

I have an RWB backdate, and while I love it, I wouldn't say that's the most economical means of backdating a car. TRE Motorsports sells a number of the required backdate parts. From quick research:

1) new front/rear bumpers: ~$1700
2) new long hood: ~$800
3) removing the side skirts and welding up the holes: ~$500
4) updated front/rear lights: $~1000
5) filling in the front fenders (either metal inserts to weld in or new fiberglass fenders): ~$800
6) paint (super variable, but for a guess): ~$3000

So I see a rough estimate of around ~$8000. You can certainly spend more on decklid, hinges, wheels, etc. You could also spend much less by sourcing used parts.

For an RWB, you're looking at minimum of around $35k, but you're really paying for a Nakai-San scupted super widebody as opposed to a straightforward backdate.

Porsche Doc 02-17-2019 02:46 PM

I am backdating then in the Hills of Tennessee

Originally Posted by mooty (Post 14495962)
that's a wide open question.
a singer at 700k can kind of considered to be backdate...
or you can do one at 150k

I did the very first 964 backdate in 2005 it’s a 90 C4.
It was featured in Excellence in April 2007.
I still do them today. I currently have one that I am doing now for a client.I do the $150 ones! Air Cooled Classics!
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...25cdc1a7e.jpeg