Sponsored by:

Pics from PCA Zone 1 2017 Regional Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 03:00 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 362 Posts
Default Pics from PCA Zone 1 2017 Regional Autocross

Posting up a few photos of the PCA Zone 1 Autocross that took place this past weekend at Fort Devens in Ayer, Massachusetts. 78 Drivers came from all over the Northeast to attend this year's event. Eight regional Chapters were represented including Northern New Jersey, Connecticut Valley, Green Mountain Region, Hudson Champlain, Metropolitan New York, Niagara Region, Northeast Region, and the North Country Region which graciously hosted the event. Despite the distance, Hudson Valley and Metro New York both had a strong showing with 15 and 16 drivers respectively. I was struck by the great collection of Porsches at the event, and the strong showing of 964's.

Fort Devens has three inter-connecting runways that form a mile long triangle, offering one of the best autocross facilities in the United States. It's home court for the Northeast Region and North Country Region, and both conduct weekend auto crosses there regularly. We're privileged to have access to such a great facility, and that's why other regions make the trek to Ayer each year.

Our usual course designer extraordinaire, "Scruffy", was under the weather and couldn't lay the course this year. Scruffy, by the way, runs a GT3 RS like a bat out of hell. So the course was laid out a bit different this Year - less technical at times, but it was fast, and fun!

It was a fun weekend with great people, fast cars, and warm and sunny weather. Best of all, everyone who made the trip left for home a safer and better driver. :thumbs:

Driver's Meeting

The line up for first run

Nick was setting the pace in his 964.

A very clean RS America being properly exercise

My favorite

The NexGens
Old 09-21-2017, 03:06 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

My 964 rolled from side to side like a boat, but the RE 71R's held her on line beautifully. I quickly learned a few things about the car on Saturday. DON'T run on an empty tank for weight reduction. The car was sputtering at times in second gear, apparently starved for gas. I'm guessing the excessive body roll wasn't any help. 10 gallons of gas corrected the problem for the afternoon runs. Equally frustrating were several failed attempts to shift into second gear. :banged: Shifting under load was the problem, and it was a time killer. I need to get the FI transmission mount insert installed before the next AX. But despite a few technical setbacks, the car performed well overall and it's just ground zero. I'm looking forward to shedding the stock suspension and getting the car properly sorted.

Lots of very nice cars

This car is a regular at Devens, and fast!

The 964 by the Tower between sessions

Another nice build

Worth a closer look inside
Old 09-21-2017, 03:14 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

A few more notables:

Old 09-21-2017, 02:28 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Spectacular weekend! It was all that I could to beat a Boxster in my prepped class, which was driven by a terrific competitor. The competition pushed me to a personal best. I've never spent that much time banging the rev-limiter at an event.

The old C4 convertible is at the very pointy end of raw time once the GT/Hoosier cars are removed, and the folks in front are all excellent to extraordinary pilots. My wife is starting to get used to its quirks and comments that it is very difficult to drive it fast. Noted by her 2x spins on the course

There are still two PCA events left this season at the same great location. Well worth traveling!

9/30 NCR Autocross Website
10/14 NER Autocross Website

Here are some more official photos from the NCR photographer
Zone 1

And lots more from NER member Anker Berg-Sonne
Day1
Day 2
Old 09-25-2017, 12:12 AM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

>Love Auto X ... nice to see someone post pic's and info.. I'm in..

Quick Reply: Pics from PCA Zone 1 2017 Regional Autocross