Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler Idenity?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 05:37 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 78 Posts

I was on another thread trying to decide what I needed for my RS America. I have a race set up, race headers with dual straight exhaust. Great sound on a race track but not ideal for the street. Your picture helps because it gives a picture of what looks like a stock set up except for the tip. I'm going to put the stock headers back on and not route/block the heat exchangers because I don't have any HVAC, then the cat, then add the fabspeed primary and fabspeed secondary and hook up to the tip. Any idea how loud this will be? It has to be somewhat quieter than what I have now I'm hoping.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:33 AM
964cabtip
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Introduce an air leak into the exhaust plumbing (the donut between the catalytic converter and the primary muffler is an easy spot for one) or use an ECU EPROM that doesn't immediately turn off fueling when it senses you going off throttle. Both will have the effect you are looking for!

Hi, Jason, thanks for your advice!! is that a turnkey component I can install to introduce the "air leak"? And which ECU EPROM has this particular feature?
Old 09-14-2017, 03:53 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by RSA964993
Your picture helps because it gives a picture of what looks like a stock set up except for the tip.

Stock set up:

I'm going to put the stock headers back on and not route/block the heat exchangers because I don't have any HVAC, then the cat, then add the fabspeed primary and fabspeed secondary and hook up to the tip. Any idea how loud this will be? It has to be somewhat quieter than what I have now I'm hoping.
what do you mean "add the fabspeed primary and fabspeed secondary and hook up to the tip."

Do you mean bypass BOTH primary and secondary? (to replace #8, and #9)
That will be very loud...

With the stock headers, most people only bypass one of the mufflers. Bypassing only one muffler gives a great sound too, not too loud. For a little more sound... add a cat bypass. Adding a cat bypass greatly reduces heat in the area, loses 20 lbs, sound great (one notch louder than a single bypass), and provides much better throttle response. Depends on your environmental views...
Old 09-14-2017, 05:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by 964cabtip
Hi, Jason, thanks for your advice!! is that a turnkey component I can install to introduce the "air leak"? And which ECU EPROM has this particular feature?
I can't work out whether you are serious or not, but I had an after market ECU that over-fuelled, spat flames and gave loud bangs on overrun as fuel exploded in the secondary muffler. It also left a sooty residue over the bumper. It's not a good way to drive and I find it hard to understand why you'd do this intentionally. I removed the system and sold it. Just a nice rumble now.

Quick Reply: Muffler Idenity?