Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad is this 964 Targa with Turbo Flares? Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 09:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,168 Posts

I am trying to help for those who are looking for info regarding WB conversions and wheels on NB suspension. The flipping part is something I have no opinion on either way.

I said earlier if you want to do this correctly and not use spacers there is no easy way or cheap way around it. Spacers are the easiest approach. Using a wheel with a different offset closer to 0 will resolve the problem for the rear. If not a spacer of this size or larger is required. I have 2 and 2.5" spacers H&R I can sell which are better that would help you but it will be obvious. Even Porsche used spacers of this size on the rear of my 928GTS.

The factory made one version of the WB with the NB rear suspension. The 3.8 RS/RSR. It was done to run wider wheels than the turbo and NB cars. For best handling you will want to consider a larger wheel so it doesn't look lost or silly from behind.

Factory speedlines came in 9" x 18" Et 48 RS or 9.5 x 18 ET 57 RSR for the front using the outboard settings and 11 x 18 ET 5 for the rear.

I have a set on my WB conversion with NB rear suspension and WB front. My actual track wheels are 9 x 18 ET 51 and 12 x 18 ET 44 but I use a 30mm spacer in the rear.

Here is a picture of both the 9 & 12 Fikse and 9.5 and 11 Speedlines on my car which has similar suspension as the WB targa.
Attached Images    
Old 09-14-2017, 01:08 PM
P964nut
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Hello everyone, so i'm checking out a 1990 964 Targa, the car is real clean and runs great, but it looks straight out of a cheesy 90's movie with those fake Turbo flares (welded on) and ugly turbo wing..chrome wheels..everything is done "right" but definitely not the kind of look i'd go for.

Its terrible seeing what has been done to such a rare beautiful car..is there a way to put this car back to original stock without spending crazy $$? i'd be buying the car to resell later on (hope this doesn't turn into a dealer insult thread) but not sure looking like this it would appeal to any enthusiast..its sure doesn't appeal to me! The owner has had it 20 years so he actually thinks that these flares increase its value..its sitting next to my stock silver targa and it looks beastly & wrong compared to it.

WHY WHY WHY would anyone do this..look how sunk in the rear wheels look for example...its just wrong!!
Agree with you... I don't like it at all!
Old 09-14-2017, 08:38 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

Dark window Tint Removed, New Cup 1 Wheels installed, Just waiting to remove the wing, already bought OEM decklid which is being shipped. (kept spacers, which seem to be 25 front 50mm rear- But back rubbing bad on fender/ actually tore some paint on inside of fender up-will have to get 30mm spacers for back instead)

Wing almost doesn't look too bad with this wheel setup.
Attached Images     
Old 09-14-2017, 09:43 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Looks much better already, now fix the frown.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:15 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM
Looks much better already, now fix the frown.
How do you fix the frown? I have one too and it's been bugging me.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:47 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
How do you fix the frown? I have one too and it's been bugging me.
Unscrew the lower part of the front bumper, there are a few screws in the front wheel wells and the rest are from underneath. Once the bottom pieces are off, you will see the flange that needs to be straightened and a pair of vise grips is all you need to bend it back. Depending on how bad the frown is, the grill may need a bit of work to pull it down.

See this link for a visual
http://web.archive.org/web/200811140...smily_grin.htm
Old 09-14-2017, 11:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LPMM
Unscrew the lower part of the front bumper, there are a few screws in the front wheel wells and the rest are from underneath. Once the bottom pieces are off, you will see the flange that needs to be straightened and a pair of vise grips is all you need to bend it back. Depending on how bad the frown is, the grill may need a bit of work to pull it down.

See this link for a visual
http://web.archive.org/web/200811140...smily_grin.htm
Laurent thank you! That will be a nice weekend project and should make a big difference.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:39 AM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Looks way better with the Cup 1s. Get rid of the wing 100% and get it professionally align/balanced. What type of suspension you got?
Old 09-15-2017, 04:27 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
Looks way better with the Cup 1s. Get rid of the wing 100% and get it professionally align/balanced. What type of suspension you got?
i assume stock suspension, i still haven't put the car on a lift, and gotten deep, i'll do that the day the motorized decklid arrives and i have the mechanic install it. car does look pretty darn sexy.removing that dark tint made a nice difference and brought out the targa bar contrast with rest of the car.once the wing is off will look amazing..hope it looks as good when i remove the 50mm rear spacers and replace with 30mm. Now the dilemma of falling in love again with a car i bought to sell will start all over,..lol. i need to get over that..
Old 09-15-2017, 08:59 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,168 Posts

i assume stock suspension, i still haven't put the car on a lift, and gotten deep, i'll do that the day the motorized decklid arrives and i have the mechanic install it. car does look pretty darn sexy.removing that dark tint made a nice difference and brought out the targa bar contrast with rest of the car.once the wing is off will look amazing..hope it looks as good when i remove the 50mm rear spacers and replace with 30mm. Now the dilemma of falling in love again with a car i bought to sell will start all over,..lol. i need to get over that..
Can't be stock. It is sitting too low to be stock. The wheels where the biggest issue no doubt. Glad you went with black nice contrast to the white and works with the roll bar.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:13 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree the wheels and removing the tint made a huge impact on how it looks. With the wing gone I think it will look great.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:15 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Car looks way better with the black wheels. Wing still needs to go IMO. Very nice looking car over all.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:21 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dark window Tint Removed...
Looking nice, but looks like you also removed the rear defroster strips...(may be the angle of the photo)

Car looks good on the black wheels...
Old 09-16-2017, 01:27 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nylasurf
Looking nice, but looks like you also removed the rear defroster strips...(may be the angle of the photo)

Car looks good on the black wheels...
No i did not- they are all still there and intact. took the shop 4 hours to remove the tint properly without messing up the strips
Old 09-19-2017, 06:54 PM
me61ic
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello everyone, so i'm checking out a 1990 964 Targa, the car is real clean and runs great, but it looks straight out of a cheesy 90's movie ...
WHY WHY WHY would anyone do this..look how sunk in the rear wheels look for example...its just wrong!!
I have just finished restoring a 1990 Carrera 2 WTL made by Gemballa in the 90's, I have also contacted Gemballa about the car, and was one of the cars they made to look as turbo, where Porsche would not offer them, in fact the first owner of my car wanted a turbo targa.

I think the car looks awesome and I just get nice compliments about it anywhere I go. Only thing I removed was the big turbo spoiler from the back to put back the original spoiler and changed the flag mirrors for cup ones.

In fact I have refused an offer of 110.000€ for it, I might be mad (my wife thinks it too) but after 2 years restoring it I just want to drive it now myself.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: How bad is this 964 Targa with Turbo Flares? Yay or Nay?