Tools/tips needed for C4 clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 12:25 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts
Question Tools/tips needed for C4 clutch replacement

My car has 115K miles on the clutch and my mechanic tells me the main seal is leaking. I also have the infamous sticking clutch. I'm thinking about doing the work myself for fun. I've removed/installed many engines in VWs and 914s. I have a full set of metric tools, 2 floor jacks.

My plan is to replace the clutch, throwout bearing, and main seal.

1) What special tools will I need to drop the engine? Wrenches for oil lines?
2) Do I drop the engine and tranny together or is it better to drop just the engine?
3) How high do I have to have the car to pull the engine out from under the car?
4) Can I reuse the pressure plate assuming no signs of damage?
5) Is there anything else I should do while I'm in there?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Rob,
You HAVE to remove engine and transmission together. The questions you ask requires a huge answer. One I do not have the time to give I am afraid.
This procedure with all special tools can be found in the factory manual or in my book. You should have one at least on hand when doing such work. The C4 engine/trans drop requires work you may not have come across before remembering this is an AWD.

My book covers dropping the engine and splitting the transmission. Once apart the clutch replacement is routine.

Yes you can reuse the pressure plate. I would be also be looking at the flywheel certainly because if you have 115K on it and it is original it will fail shortly.

Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-05-2003, 03:19 PM
gjvander
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob,

Here are some quick answers to your questions. I just did the same job about a month ago. It is more works that what it sounds like.....

1) You will definitely need the special double-d spline drives. You will need the long version to more easily remove the bolts from the CV joints. I think that same size is used to attach the pressure plate to the flywheel. Also will need the alignment tool, and large and small torque wrenches.

2) They come out together. Dropping the engine was really the most difficult part for me - not knowing what all needs to be disconnected etc. I used three floor jacks, and 2 helpers.

3) Higher than what you will be comfortable with! The front wheels need to be on the ground, the car pivoting about the rear jack points. 32" of clearance at the bumper is needed, if I remember correctly. The higher the jack, the higher the car needs to go.

4) I put a new one in. The clutch kit ($475) comes with a pressure plate.

5) I used the oppertunity to change spark plugs and set valve clearances. Maybe you want to take a look at the power steering belt - I don't know how you can change that with the engine in the car.

Regards,

Geo

Quick Reply: Tools/tips needed for C4 clutch replacement