Wipers in rain

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 04:05 AM
rutz964C4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipers in rain

Hi

Winter is here in Spain and although I donīt take the car out Iīm planning a couple of small trips with the car, the problem I find is the rain, even though I changed the wipers for new original ones, when driving in the rain the visibility is really poor the windshield gets like foggy and the wipers donīt clean enough.

Is there any solutions for this, maybe wipers with double blade or something like that.

Thanks
ALEX

Old 11-28-2003, 04:12 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

How new are the wiper arms? The strength of the spring is an issue. Also, Porsche changed the wiper arms to a double spring, which seems to push the wipers onto the screen harder.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:41 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get fogging or condensation on the [I]outside[I] of your windscreen then you have a problem that I have never heard of before.

If you have wipers installed inside the car, then my apologies in advance.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:02 AM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have wipers installed inside the car, then my apologies in advance.

Actually Christer, I managed to get condensation on the outside of my windscreen in the summer... It was really host and humid, and with the aircon on full blast, condensation was forming outside. Had to keep using my wipers which got me some weird looks.

Dave.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:10 AM
rutz964C4
Racer

I think the wipers arms only have one spring, the fogging or condensation is from the inside of the car.

Thanks
ALEX
Old 11-28-2003, 05:25 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

If you run the air-con when it's cold and humid, you can actually get frost forming on the outside!

That's a dig at those who say 964 air-con doesn't work very well!

One of the (many) things I like about the 964 is the freedom from plastics inside which means that the inside of the screen doesn't fog-up. Try giving it a clean with Mer or ammonia (diluted!).

I am also a Rainex fan, 'though some don't like it I know.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:59 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

I'm a rainex fan too; but I don't tend to use it on the windscreen. Great on the side windows though.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:24 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Alex,

Use Rain-X water repellant on the outside and Rain-X anti-fog solution on the inside. Takes some practice as if not done properly you will get streaks. Tip: don't overdose on the solution and use a really clean dry cloth to buff the inside. Use a clean and very slightly damp cloth to buff the outside. And clean them blades whenever you wash your car, just wipe with wet towel
Old 11-28-2003, 10:00 AM
delhi
Racer

ok this may sound crazy, it works. use shaving cream foam! We used to get fogging up in the bathroom mirrors. Then someone suggested me to use shaving foam over the mirrors. No more fogging up! So put some oon the inside of you windshield! It smells minty fresh too!
Old 11-28-2003, 10:14 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Yep, does sound crazy.

I'll have to do this at night so that nobody sees me.

Old 11-28-2003, 10:20 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Washing up liquid will also work. Use it all the time on the inside of my motorcycle helmet visor.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:11 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

Condensation on the inside means that the temperature of the inside surface of the windscreen is lower than the dewpoint of the air in the cabin.

To put it in terms we are all better able to grasp, its pretty much the same thing that occurs when you take a cold beer from the fridge on a summer day

Running the aircon (assuming it is functioning correctly) should correct that, although if its a cool day, you will need to raise the temperature dial up (this will in affect, reheat the air that has just been dehumidified). As such, you get dry (or drier) and warm (or warmer) air

Also, you would also want to be sure that the recirculation button is off. That will promote better circulation in the cabin, and thus clear the inside of the screen more quickly.

It always kills me to pass a car on a rainy cold day, and see that the only window that is NOT fogged up is the front, and then just barely. Its even money that they have their aircon turned off, and the fan blowing 100% recirculated air.

BGL
Old 11-28-2003, 11:33 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

...or no aircon
Old 11-28-2003, 12:14 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

how is the airflow from your demist vents? The servo that directs it up there can stick - mine stuck in the closed position and I was always misting up, I fixed it as directed in the technical section of www.porsche964.co.uk, and the mist has cleared. I tried rain x antifog and concluded it to be a very effective small cash transfer device.

Just out of interest - does the Rain in Spain REALLY Fall Mainly on the Plains? If so, I see an obvious solution arising..
Old 11-28-2003, 12:25 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

...or no aircon
Yes, of course. IIRC, USA spec cars (well, Porsche's, anyway!) ALL have aircon, so I tend to forget that other parts of the world may or may not have it.

But even w/o, having the recirc button turned off will help circulate fresh the air through the cabin such that you will have a better shot at keeping the windows clear. It is amazing how much moisture we exhale, which will stay trapped in the car if recirc is on.

BGL

Quick Reply: Wipers in rain