Sponsored by:

Wow...every warning light at once

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 01:42 AM
Radar5667
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wow...every warning light at once

Tonight I picked up the car from local Indy shop (was on vacation), and about half way home, I got every alarm icon lit with about the loudest beeping alarm I have ever heard from any car ever. Pulled over immediately and checked engine...everything looked normal. Restart car drive 10 miles then same thing happens. This goes on all the way home repeating randomly. Usually every alarm icon lit, but sometimes just a random icon and that terrible alarm. Fan belt, wiper, fuel level, brake, parking brake...etc. Not very likely all those things really wrong at the same time. Belts look good, fan good, oil good, headlights bright. Car seeming to run as normal.

I had to take car to Indy shop this week to replace failed alternator shaft/bearing. Ended up replacing alternator, bearing, fan, fan belt sensor, and all belts. Thought I'd be fine after replacing those items. There was severe play in the alternator shaft and the fan contacted the shroud so I replaced all of it.

I bought the car in April, a 1991 C2 coupe manual with 100k miles. I have since had a major service with valve adjustment and leak down test with excellent result. I also replaced battery, added SW chip and fabspeed dual exhaust. The car had been running great up until I shredded the alternator belt last week and found a twist in the A/C belt at which time I had the car towed to local shop. PO recommended the local shop and all seemed well as I left there tonight.

I will check and freshen the major grounds tomorrow. Was wondering if anyone ever had this same or similar random jackpot alarm sequence? I have a couple of photos of all the alarms lit but was not able to post them using this iPad for some unknown reason. I wanted to fill the tank with 93 oct, but can't get it here so had to fill up with 91 (SW chip is for 93). Not sure if that could have major affect, but wanted to include that detail.

Best regards,

RB
Old 08-12-2017, 02:49 AM
klr10
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, don't panic, this is a fairly common fault in our cars. It is commonly known as the 'Christmas lights effect' and is generally caused by high voltages leaking from the coils or plug leads causing problems with the car's electronics. In my case it was caused by bad HT coils but it can be bad earths or ageing plug leads. If it has only started after replacing the alternator I would check those connections first. If you search on here you will find plenty of information to help.
Good luck!
Old 08-12-2017, 10:43 AM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

It'll be a simple issue, once you find it. Very common and an electrical issue. Ensure your plug wires are seated properly and check the coils. Even a slightly loose connection can cause the Christmas tree. Based on how you're saying it presented, I'd guess a simple loose connection.

Good luck with it.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Radar5667
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As usual, thanks RLers for your sound advice. During the recent "major service" the car did receive new plugs, caps, and rotors so it is possible one of them is "leaky" or not completely tight and I will have to get to that.

Unfortunately duty calls so I have to leave to go back to the ship for a month today and the car will have to wait until I get back to sort this issue.

It just makes it that much sweeter getting off the ship and knowing that the car is waiting for me in the garage upon my return. And I'm bringing the old engine fan with me to the ship for use as clock. Anybody ever make a clock out of a 964 fan?
Old 08-12-2017, 06:31 PM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My car had a similar problem. I had just got the car, drove it home 750 miles, no problems, a week or so later, Christmas tree effect with severe bucking turned out to be a plug wire disconnected and tucked up away from the work done prior to purchase. Plugged it in and no problems. It ran great during the time the wire was off. My guess is hard cornering shifted it enough to find a ground

Quick Reply: Wow...every warning light at once