Sponsored by:

Singer/Williams Engineering Engine Development

Old 08-09-2017, 06:51 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

From the Road & Track article:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...lliams-engine/

"The engine pictured here is just a rendering, but it'll make its first real-world appearance in a 911 restored for Singer client Scott Blattner, whose gorgeous orange Targa we drove last year. We should have additional details about this Singer-restored 1990 911 in September."
Old 08-09-2017, 10:11 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
EFF. ME.
My thoughts exactly.

The quarter window intake is such a cool idea.

12 fuel injectors, but no direct injection, is interesting.

I wonder how many valves per cyl, and if they're cast or billet heads?
Old 08-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dlpalumbo
I'm thinking singer is calling this "air cooled" for the hype value and most cooling load is borne by liquid. This is so far removed from the 3.6L, why not just do liquid cooling and ditch the fan?
hipsters gonna hip.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:11 AM
itsujack
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sold! This thread needs more pics...

Old 08-10-2017, 08:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Using the quarter windows for intakes is nothing new. My mechanic friend has been using the quarter windows for intakes on his track builds for years. I personally find the piping is an impairment. On the street you sometimes need those windows to see people in your blind spots. Looks as though they will punch two holes through the parcel shelf to let the air flow. I am curious how they plan to separate the water that makes its way into the intakes.

Looks as though the tough part is done. Now figuring all the plumbing and other questions will be interesting to see how they resolve any issues.

It is a masterful design. I can only imagine how many would spend 6 figures for this as a crate motor.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:48 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

The full spectrum of the enhancements provided by Williams Advanced Engineering and other technical partners will be unveiled in Scott’s restored, reimagined and reborn Porsche 911 in September.

Dickinson stated that the full culmination of this exciting work with Williams and other technical partners will be revealed shortly and will represent a stand-alone selection of restoration and modification services strongly oriented towards light-weighting and dynamic gains.
I'm betting the next step is a carbon tub and suspension package... to get the car close to 2,000 lbs. No more 964 shell issues...
Old 08-10-2017, 11:47 AM
freno a mano
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they need for 964 tub for homologation purpose, in order to avoid crash tests.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by freno a mano
I think they need for 964 tub for homologation purpose, in order to avoid crash tests.
Was thinking this. Unless they become a manufacturer like ruf.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:51 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
EFF. ME.
Originally Posted by cobalt
Using the quarter windows for intakes is nothing new. My mechanic friend has been using the quarter windows for intakes on his track builds for years. I personally find the piping is an impairment. On the street you sometimes need those windows to see people in your blind spots. Looks as though they will punch two holes through the parcel shelf to let the air flow. I am curious how they plan to separate the water that makes its way into the intakes.

Looks as though the tough part is done. Now figuring all the plumbing and other questions will be interesting to see how they resolve any issues.

It is a masterful design. I can only imagine how many would spend 6 figures for this as a crate motor.
I've seen it on plenty of track cars, but not nearly as clean an integrated as I'm sure this will be.

Knowing Singer, they redid the entire front tub, I'm betting they redesign the rear firewall and deck rather than just "cut holes" for the intakes.

I don't doubt they have a resolution for the rain, but seriously, how many people are driving half million dollar cars in the rain?
Old 08-10-2017, 02:06 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
Was thinking this. Unless they become a manufacturer like ruf.
they are modifying your car and none of his engines are smog legal and by removing the airbags and bumpers should no longer be DOT legal depending on the state AFAIK. The onus is on the owner. We haven't heard of any accidents but would be curious to see what the insurance company says to personal injury claims.

Originally Posted by tjb616
I've seen it on plenty of track cars, but not nearly as clean an integrated as I'm sure this will be.

Knowing Singer, they redid the entire front tub, I'm betting they redesign the rear firewall and deck rather than just "cut holes" for the intakes.

I don't doubt they have a resolution for the rain, but seriously, how many people are driving half million dollar cars in the rain?
The tub is stout enough I am sure it won't take much if anything to resolve.

I see lots of multimillion dollar cars out at C&C events that get caught in the rain. They are 3/4 of a million not half LOL. I have no doubt they will come up with something or have a lot of issues to deal with. I am just curious how they will resolve this. It is such a closed system it doesn't seem to have any drain points from what I see but no doubt they thought of everything at these dollars.

I am curious what this will do to the 3.8 or 4.0 L's market already made. There was a Singer that I was told traded hands locally I was told it barely brought $0.50 on the dollar for what it cost to build. I would really like to know what it actually sold for.

Originally Posted by 911jetta
I'm betting the next step is a carbon tub and suspension package... to get the car close to 2,000 lbs. No more 964 shell issues...
Nothing would make me happier and I would have much greater respect for the company and the product. Although this would be a much different animal and they would need to make these both DOT and smog compliant to modern standards so I am not holding my breath yet.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:41 PM
Gt3stig
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

@cobalt
Singer will and can build a emission compliant engine.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:52 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

It's pretty cool
Old 08-10-2017, 03:07 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

My guess is more like $1M+ not $500k

Originally Posted by tjb616

Old 08-10-2017, 04:27 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I am curious what this will do to the 3.8 or 4.0 L's market already made. There was a Singer that I was told traded hands locally I was told it barely brought $0.50 on the dollar for what it cost to build. I would really like to know what it actually sold for.
Wow, interesting. Really interesting. It makes total logical sense that project cars sell for less than their cost to build, but everyone said that these SVD cars were different and the waitlist and lead time to have a bespoke car "commissioned" was so long, they couldn't lose value.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:39 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Leh Keen on Instagram:

I got to peek at Singers new vehicle that this engine is going into last month and it is sick!!! As always @singervehicledesign kills it with the details. It's not just a new engine. It's a whole new car from Singer.
https://www.instagram.com/lehmank/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Singer/Williams Engineering Engine Development