Singer/Williams Engineering Engine Development - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Air/Oil Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 964 Forum
Reload this Page >

Singer/Williams Engineering Engine Development

Notices
964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Singer/Williams Engineering Engine Development

 
Old 08-09-2017, 06:51 PM
  #16  
RicardoD
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
RicardoD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,339
Default

From the Road & Track article:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...lliams-engine/

"The engine pictured here is just a rendering, but it'll make its first real-world appearance in a 911 restored for Singer client Scott Blattner, whose gorgeous orange Targa we drove last year. We should have additional details about this Singer-restored 1990 911 in September."
RicardoD is offline  
Old 08-09-2017, 10:11 PM
  #17  
tjb616
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
tjb616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philly
Posts: 602
Default

Originally Posted by Spyerx View Post
EFF. ME.
My thoughts exactly.

The quarter window intake is such a cool idea.

12 fuel injectors, but no direct injection, is interesting.

I wonder how many valves per cyl, and if they're cast or billet heads?
tjb616 is offline  
Old 08-09-2017, 11:03 PM
  #18  
Vandit
Super User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 5,454
Default

Originally Posted by dlpalumbo View Post
I'm thinking singer is calling this "air cooled" for the hype value and most cooling load is borne by liquid. This is so far removed from the 3.6L, why not just do liquid cooling and ditch the fan?
hipsters gonna hip.
Vandit is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 08:11 AM
  #19  
itsujack
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
itsujack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 113
Default

I'm sold! This thread needs more pics...














itsujack is online now  
Old 08-10-2017, 08:46 AM
  #20  
cobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
cobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 17,062
Default

Using the quarter windows for intakes is nothing new. My mechanic friend has been using the quarter windows for intakes on his track builds for years. I personally find the piping is an impairment. On the street you sometimes need those windows to see people in your blind spots. Looks as though they will punch two holes through the parcel shelf to let the air flow. I am curious how they plan to separate the water that makes its way into the intakes.

Looks as though the tough part is done. Now figuring all the plumbing and other questions will be interesting to see how they resolve any issues.

It is a masterful design. I can only imagine how many would spend 6 figures for this as a crate motor.
cobalt is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 10:48 AM
  #21  
911Jetta
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
911Jetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NC
Posts: 6,365
Default

The full spectrum of the enhancements provided by Williams Advanced Engineering and other technical partners will be unveiled in Scott’s restored, reimagined and reborn Porsche 911 in September.

Dickinson stated that the full culmination of this exciting work with Williams and other technical partners will be revealed shortly and will represent a stand-alone selection of restoration and modification services strongly oriented towards light-weighting and dynamic gains.
I'm betting the next step is a carbon tub and suspension package... to get the car close to 2,000 lbs. No more 964 shell issues...
911Jetta is online now  
Old 08-10-2017, 11:47 AM
  #22  
freno a mano
User
 
freno a mano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Genova - Italy
Posts: 197
Default

I think they need for 964 tub for homologation purpose, in order to avoid crash tests.
freno a mano is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 12:37 PM
  #23  
Jjm4life
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,490
Default

Originally Posted by freno a mano
I think they need for 964 tub for homologation purpose, in order to avoid crash tests.
Was thinking this. Unless they become a manufacturer like ruf.
Jjm4life is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 12:51 PM
  #24  
tjb616
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
tjb616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philly
Posts: 602
Default

Originally Posted by Spyerx View Post
EFF. ME.
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
Using the quarter windows for intakes is nothing new. My mechanic friend has been using the quarter windows for intakes on his track builds for years. I personally find the piping is an impairment. On the street you sometimes need those windows to see people in your blind spots. Looks as though they will punch two holes through the parcel shelf to let the air flow. I am curious how they plan to separate the water that makes its way into the intakes.

Looks as though the tough part is done. Now figuring all the plumbing and other questions will be interesting to see how they resolve any issues.

It is a masterful design. I can only imagine how many would spend 6 figures for this as a crate motor.
I've seen it on plenty of track cars, but not nearly as clean an integrated as I'm sure this will be.

Knowing Singer, they redid the entire front tub, I'm betting they redesign the rear firewall and deck rather than just "cut holes" for the intakes.

I don't doubt they have a resolution for the rain, but seriously, how many people are driving half million dollar cars in the rain?
tjb616 is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 02:06 PM
  #25  
cobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
cobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 17,062
Default

Originally Posted by Jjm4life View Post
Was thinking this. Unless they become a manufacturer like ruf.
they are modifying your car and none of his engines are smog legal and by removing the airbags and bumpers should no longer be DOT legal depending on the state AFAIK. The onus is on the owner. We haven't heard of any accidents but would be curious to see what the insurance company says to personal injury claims.

Originally Posted by tjb616 View Post
I've seen it on plenty of track cars, but not nearly as clean an integrated as I'm sure this will be.

Knowing Singer, they redid the entire front tub, I'm betting they redesign the rear firewall and deck rather than just "cut holes" for the intakes.

I don't doubt they have a resolution for the rain, but seriously, how many people are driving half million dollar cars in the rain?
The tub is stout enough I am sure it won't take much if anything to resolve.

I see lots of multimillion dollar cars out at C&C events that get caught in the rain. They are 3/4 of a million not half LOL. I have no doubt they will come up with something or have a lot of issues to deal with. I am just curious how they will resolve this. It is such a closed system it doesn't seem to have any drain points from what I see but no doubt they thought of everything at these dollars.

I am curious what this will do to the 3.8 or 4.0 L's market already made. There was a Singer that I was told traded hands locally I was told it barely brought $0.50 on the dollar for what it cost to build. I would really like to know what it actually sold for.


Originally Posted by 911jetta
I'm betting the next step is a carbon tub and suspension package... to get the car close to 2,000 lbs. No more 964 shell issues...
Nothing would make me happier and I would have much greater respect for the company and the product. Although this would be a much different animal and they would need to make these both DOT and smog compliant to modern standards so I am not holding my breath yet.
cobalt is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 02:41 PM
  #26  
Gt3stig
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 242
Default

@cobalt
Singer will and can build a emission compliant engine.
Gt3stig is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 02:52 PM
  #27  
sechsgang
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
sechsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ...PA...
Posts: 2,560
Default

It's pretty cool
sechsgang is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 03:07 PM
  #28  
02m2
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 913
Default

My guess is more like $1M+ not $500k



Originally Posted by tjb616 View Post
I've seen it on plenty of track cars, but not nearly as clean an integrated as I'm sure this will be.

Knowing Singer, they redid the entire front tub, I'm betting they redesign the rear firewall and deck rather than just "cut holes" for the intakes.

I don't doubt they have a resolution for the rain, but seriously, how many people are driving half million dollar cars in the rain?
02m2 is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 04:27 PM
  #29  
Vandit
Super User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 5,454
Default

Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
I am curious what this will do to the 3.8 or 4.0 L's market already made. There was a Singer that I was told traded hands locally I was told it barely brought $0.50 on the dollar for what it cost to build. I would really like to know what it actually sold for.
Wow, interesting. Really interesting. It makes total logical sense that project cars sell for less than their cost to build, but everyone said that these SVD cars were different and the waitlist and lead time to have a bespoke car "commissioned" was so long, they couldn't lose value.
Vandit is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 04:39 PM
  #30  
911Jetta
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
911Jetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NC
Posts: 6,365
Default

Leh Keen on Instagram:

I got to peek at Singers new vehicle that this engine is going into last month and it is sick!!! As always @singervehicledesign kills it with the details. It's not just a new engine. It's a whole new car from Singer.
https://www.instagram.com/lehmank/
911Jetta is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Singer/Williams Engineering Engine Development


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: