Help with probable electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 02:21 PM
mnmlod
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help with probable electrical problem

Hi Guys,

I am at a loss for an issue I am having with my 91 c2. When the engine gets up to operating temperature and the ambient air is above 90, my car will not start after it is turned off. I have to wait until engine cools off somewhat. When I do try to start the car, it is completely dead...no buzzers, bells, dings, lights, whatever. I check the battery and it is at 14.3 volts. AAA put a load on it too and it was fine. If I just let it sit for 30 or 45 minutes, it cranks over and runs fine. I do not get this issue in the winter time. I have a feeling it's electrical, like some sort of voltage regulator or something. Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 08-02-2017, 03:36 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

ignition switch?
Old 08-02-2017, 04:56 PM
mnmlod
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spyerx
ignition switch?
I am not a mechanical type guy. Is the ignition switch actually located in the engine compartment or near the actual key? Is it, in itself, something that can generate heat and thus overheat?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 08-02-2017, 05:02 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Sounds more like ground strap issue. Might want to bring it to someone if you aren't mechanically minded. Although you can remove the battery. Check to see if the terminals are cleaned and if so then just unbolt the ground strap which is right there. If it is not clean scrub it with some steel wool or Emory cloth if you have any and try again.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:14 PM
mnmlod
Instructor

Originally Posted by cobalt
Sounds more like ground strap issue. Might want to bring it to someone if you aren't mechanically minded. Although you can remove the battery. Check to see if the terminals are cleaned and if so then just unbolt the ground strap which is right there. If it is not clean scrub it with some steel wool or Emory cloth if you have any and try again.
Thank you. I am making a list of things to try to fix or let someone knowledgeable fix.

I am curious how the ground strap would be affected by temperature though. Thoughts?

Mike
Old 08-02-2017, 11:14 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mnmlod

I am curious how the ground strap would be affected by temperature though. Thoughts?

Mike
As the temperature of a wire increases, its ability to transmit the "load", 12 volts, but high starting amps decreases. This is due by the exciting of the molecules within the wire by having them vibrate wildly, thus causing a higher resistance.

Assuming that the connection is loose, the load must pass thru a lesser amount of metal in the wire, think of a 4 lane highway dropping down to 1 lane, so when you have higher temps, you are actually decreasing the "amount" of wire that could carry the load. It only exaggerates the problem to the point where you can't get enough power to run anything

I tried to keep this simple, so I trust you understand what is likely happening.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:25 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

If you are having trouble starting, I would measure the voltage at the starter when the engine is hot. Do you still have the same voltage as at the battery? If yes, then I would have your starter tested. If not, then you have a bad connection on either the positive or ground cables. You would need to start tracing the connections towards the battery to isolate the problem.

Edit: If you have zero power for anything, I would check your battery cables and ground straps. Remember there are two ground straps. One at the battery and the other at the starter.

Last edited by Rocket Rob; 08-03-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:08 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Process of elimination. The easiest thing to do is verify you have a complete circuit. I am interested in hearing what you find and if it makes a difference.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:17 PM
mnmlod
Instructor

Thanks for the physics lesson. Sounds reasonable. I'll let you know what comes of it.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:51 PM
mnmlod
Instructor

Oh, FYI, sorry for the late reply. It ended up being a bad cell in the battery. Replaced the battery, all is good.

Quick Reply: Help with probable electrical problem