Sponsored by:

My New To Me 1990 C2 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 03:04 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I can think of two explanations:
- Porsche used available stock for production until the switched to the new design
- A repair could have been done with older parts at a dealership they still had.

I personally think they ran down old stock until they switched over

Just a guess.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:20 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Rear Speaker Update.

When I installed my headunit several months back I tested each of the speakers for sound before finishing the install and noted that the driver rear speaker was blown and useless. The passenger rear didn’t sound great either so I knew at some point I would have to replace them.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago I ordered some Infiniti Reference 4x6 speakers for the rear and my hope was that it would be a simple plug and play installation. After the speakers I arrived I realized that the existing plastic framework around the speakers was too small to secure the grill/covers and too large to work with the homemade spacers one of the previous owners used before. After careful inspection I realized that the plastic framework could be separated from the speaker and what remained matched up perfectly with the previously installed Polk speakers. After removing the plastic frames I attempted to install the speakers into the homemade plastic frames and they literally fell apart.

I started doing some research and found that Porsche made frames that could be used for aftermarket speakers so I ordered a set and crossed my fingers. The parts arrrived earlier this week and it turned out to be a perfect fit. Installation took literally 10 minutes with these new frames and the result is back to factory with new speakers. What surprised me was the amount of improvement in the sound, it’s actually decent for a 30 year old German car

Here are some shots of the various parts and and the installation.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:52 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Great info. Looks nice.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dukmon
Great info. Looks nice.
Thanks. My skills are nowhere near as good as many who post there projects but I hope it benefits some.

Forgot to post a pic of the speaker with the cover reinstalled....

Old 03-11-2019, 06:47 AM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just caught up on this thread, great work. I believe the slatted hoop is stainless steel and non slatted ally. I have successfully stripped the stainless, soda blasted and hand sanded to give the brushed finish, so it can be done (to the slatted version). Still have the rubbing at the roof edge, but easy to clean up. I much prefer the old metal hoop look.

Roof front catches are adjustable if you want to bring it down.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:45 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 212 Posts

Hi Marine Blue, just wanted to wave. I just bought the silver 1990 C2 Targa on bringatrailer
Pictures will be posted as soon as I have the car.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Hi Marine Blue, just wanted to wave. I just bought the silver 1990 C2 Targa on bringatrailer
Pictures will be posted as soon as I have the car.
Congrats!!

When I initially saw the listing on BAT I did a double take as I thought someone had taken pictures of my car. Glad to see it went to a Rennlist member and I know we all are looking forward to seeing you post more about the car once you get it.

There’s lots of great knowledge on this forum for 964’s which really makes ownership a pleasure.

Enjoy in good health.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:51 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 212 Posts

Quick question: you wouldn’t still have the cup wheels by any chance?
Old 04-19-2019, 02:31 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Quick question: you wouldn’t still have the cup wheels by any chance?
No, I ended up selling them to another Rennlist member a few months ago.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:43 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Starting my prep for her third concours late this month. I spent a few hours cleaning up the interior, hinges, door jambs and frunk area. It’s nice having the score sheets from the previous events as I can quickly pinpoint what needs attention. Next weekend will be the engine and wheels and she should be ready to go. I’ll be entering street class again which covers exterior, interior, frunk and engine.

Here are some pics of the interior after today’s detailing.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:06 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,168 Posts

^^^ street class includes engine??? Usually street class is just interior storage and topside? Interesting.

BTW looks good so far.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:11 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
^^^ street class includes engine??? Usually street class is just interior storage and topside? Interesting.

BTW looks good so far.
Thanks!

There’s been a few changes recently with the addition of some new classifications to cover the mid engine and newer 911’s with limited access to the engine bays. My last event was also street and did include the engine. That’s where I lost the majority of my points too. Heres a screen shot of the latest classifications.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:37 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

This is far different than what I have been used to all these years. Is this specific to your region? We normally don't judge engines except what we call master class but I have been board with showing at Concours lately and missed one yesterday to work on my home projects.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:19 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
This is far different than what I have been used to all these years. Is this specific to your region? We normally don't judge engines except what we call master class but I have been board with showing at Concours lately and missed one yesterday to work on my home projects.
I recall when I was showing the 928 in New England (NER) I also showed in street class which included the engine. At the time I recall three classes, Full, Street and Wash & Shine.

I consider Wash and Shine a good starting point for anyone new to concours and or maybe a new acquisition that isn’t fully prepped. Engine bays take a ton of time to properly prep. I don’t even bother with full concours as I drive my cars and I don’t have the time, patience or equipment to properly prep the underside.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:58 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Interesting. We do judge engines at Zone level and above. My engines are always close enough to show with a little prep I always keep on top of the entire car but taking care of so many is time consuming.

Quick Reply: My New To Me 1990 C2 Targa