Sponsored by:

My New To Me 1990 C2 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 01:23 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I entered in full street class at the San Diego Concours in September and took first in class with a score of 238.5 out of 240
Well deserved!
Old 12-30-2018, 02:40 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

My major cosmetic items are coming to a close with the installation of the Roll Hoop Seal. Sunset Porsche had it’s annual Black Friday sale with 20% off their already low prices and I snagged a new seal for $320!

I finally got around to installing it yesterday and I’m very happy with the results. I haven’t driven it yet as I’m a bit under the weather, fingers crossed no air leaks.

Before, During and After

Old 12-30-2018, 02:52 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also at some point I will try to find a place to touch up the roll up front edge. I'm not keen on having the entire hoop redone as original and still looks great. Ideally someone can air brush the area with a matching paint that will hold up.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:30 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I almost forgot, I also picked up some new plates!

Old 12-30-2018, 03:33 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Also at some point I will try to find a place to touch up the roll up front edge. I'm not keen on having the entire hoop redone as original and still looks great. Ideally someone can air brush the area with a matching paint that will hold up.
Mine looks exactly like that and so far I have left it. Did you replace the front seal as well? How did that work out. I still try to solve some small but annoying air gap.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cjoenck
Mine looks exactly like that and so far I have left it. Did you replace the front seal as well? How did that work out. I still try to solve some small but annoying air gap.
The wear on the hoop doesn't bother me too much and I suspect that even a respray will result in similar wear with use. I'll still have it done eventually but it's not a priority.

As far as the front seal, for now I have left it alone. It does look to be a bit more difficult to replace than the rear since the corners have very specific requirements to insure a proper seal.

After the top restoration the passenger side air leak was resolved and it's been quiet inside other than the creaking. I did use some Gummi Pfledge on the seals yesterday in hopes that it would resolve the creaking, I'll report back after I get her on the road.

Have you had the top restored already?
Old 12-30-2018, 06:07 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Yes, I had Dan do his three stage magic a few years ago and I just replaced the outer side seals on the top. The old ones were worn in all four corners so bad that I got water coming in every time it rained. The wife was not amused.

However, with the new side seals the top now rides just a little bit higher in the front. I think the old front windshield seal got compressed a bit too much over the years. I do have a new front seal sitting on my workbench but need to wait until my unheated garage gets above 50 again in the spring here in Chicago.
Attached Images   
Old 01-06-2019, 10:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

For those of you following the thread, you might have noted that the buttons on my HVAC Control Unit had worn off. It looked to me like someone maybe had sunscreen on their fingers which attacked the paint used on the buttons. Originally I was going to have the buttons replaced but last month I stumbled on these stickers from Tore: https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php...icker-set.html. I figured for the money I would give them a shot first and if I wasn’t happy I could get the buttons redone eventually.

Installation was very straightforward, I just followed the instructions provided on his website and had it done in no time. Results speak for themself, I’m very happy with them and I doubt I’ll pursue new buttons as these look to be a more robust solution.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 01-06-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:32 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

Belle. They look good MB.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:02 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

...Originally I was going to have the buttons replaced but last month I stumbled on these stickers from Tore: https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php...icker-set.html. I figured for the money I would give them a shot first and if I wasn’t happy I could get the buttons redone eventually...
I recently saw those also. Looks great.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:49 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

A few more updates on the Targa, about a month ago I went to fire her up and she sounded like a chainsaw. I quickly isolated the sound to the rear blower motor and sure enough the inner bearing had gone bad.

Thanks to the instructions posted here I was able to DIY and in the process I took some time to clean everything up. It’s whisper quiet now.

I’m currently in the process of replacing the rear speakers with some new Infinity Reference 4x6 speakers which isn’t turning out as easy as I had hoped. I’m waiting for adaptor rings from the Porsche dealer before I can finish the install on these.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:48 AM
stutt911
Banned

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

There is a targa on eBay rite now that looks sort of tempting. Would love to make it as nice as this one but the price is up there for what it is.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:06 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stutt911
There is a targa on eBay rite now that looks sort of tempting. Would love to make it as nice as this one but the price is up there for what it is.
The midnight blue one looks to be very reasonably priced as long as it all checks out. It’s had all the major work done to it, has relatively low miles and appears to be in great condition. I wouldn’t sell mine anywhere near that price, then again I’m not selling mine so there’s that

Old 02-26-2019, 03:33 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Continues to look great and I always enjoy your updates. I need to get busy and post some recent photos of mine.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:25 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Very nice great color, all the best with it.

I am confused though it is a 90 and has a 93 targa roll bar. the 90-91 cars still had the 3 vents on the bar.

Here is a pic of a 90 I recently helped sell and a 93.
Originally Posted by Deserion
To make things more interesting, my September 1990-build '91 has the vent-less roll bar cover. The Targa built directly after mine (photo) has the same cover (both also have composite intake manifolds).

More Porsche irregularity.
Originally Posted by cobalt
Crazy stuff. I don't see that many targas. Another friends 91 has the slats. They must have had two different suppliers at the time and whatever was in the shop was installed. I always assumed that it was just the later years that got the slat-less bars. I don't think there will ever be answers to all the questions regarding the 964. There were so many changes and variations.

Good to know though that the early cars came either with or without.
I wanted to bring the Targa slat subject back as I found something interesting when reading some old Porsche literature. It appears Porsche did away with the slats in the 1990 model year as shown in the Technik book below which makes me wonder why some have them and some don’t?

Quick Reply: My New To Me 1990 C2 Targa