Non-Collector Car Insurance for 964

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:20 AM
raconne2
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Non-Collector Car Insurance for 964

Hey all,

I am currently in the process of making the jump from a Cayman to a 964, which requires me to revisit my insurance situation. Based on some of the stipulations outlined by the classic/collector insurance companies, I can't go that route. Basically, I don't technically have a garage that locks and, additionally, both my wife and I don't each have other cars (she has a car and I have a motorcycle, but, apparently, bikes don't count as daily drivers, even though it is mine...).

So, long story short, I need to look elsewhere for insurance. I've heard of air-cooled folks getting insurance from the big companies (Geico, State Farm, etc...), but, from what I understand, that option comes with an important caveat: If something goes wrong, the insurance company will low-ball the value of the car and I would essentially have to fight their appraisal with my own. If that's the case, I guess I don't really have any other options (unless you all know of some??).

Basically, I am here to corroborate that information: Have any of you gone with standard insurance companies for your 964s? If so, any success stories, horror stories, or anything in-between?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-26-2017, 12:27 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Grundy has been very cool about both my triumph and my 964 on the same collector policy. It's worth at least trying. Otherwise see if you can find a local insurer to give you an agreed value policy
Old 07-26-2017, 06:53 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have Grundy. Nobody checks to see if you have your car in a garage. Also, I believe that that one car is good enough for other transportation.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:44 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I went with an agreed value policy with Infinity, at the suggestion of my long time agent.

https://www.infinityauto.com/knowled...ur-classic-car

Added the 6000 mile per year and the "occasional" drive to work option.

I cannot comment on service (and hope to never have to)
Old 07-28-2017, 01:04 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I have an agreed value policy with Chubb on my 964... comes out to about $60 a month, but it's not considered a primary driver.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:00 PM
raconne2
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[Update]

Thank you all for your input. Unfortunately, the deal on the 964 I was looking at fell through after the PPI. Let's just say the first words out of the mechanic's mouth were, "You are definitely not buying this car." So, it looks like my insurance question is moot until I find another 964 example that is hopefully less problematic and more-accurately advertised than this one was.

The silver lining is that I haven't sold my Cayman yet, so I'll be scurrying back to the 987 forum for now. But I do hope to join you all soon!
Old 07-31-2017, 07:36 AM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I find having a dirt bag truck for towing and hauling to be very useful. Carry minimal insurance on it to allow for classic car insurance on the 964. You hope the day never comes when you need to make a claim, but if it does, you will be happy you spend a few thousand on a truck.

Quick Reply: Non-Collector Car Insurance for 964